Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Additions & Improvements
Click Here to Login

Old 07-21-2018, 10:05 AM   #1
drjjj
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #5757
adding fans to NDR1062 fridge

We have a 2007 3400RL with the Dometic NDR 1062 fridge. We have made many upgrades to the rig over the last two years since I retired at the end of 2016. We now have the trailer working great everywhere except the fridge. We have had Subzero's in our stick houses for over 25 years and are spoiled (no pun intended) with how the Subzero's hold food longer and keep it from spoiling for quite a long time. We are currently staying at Gulf Waters RV Resort on Mustang Island (Port Aransas, Texas) for 33 days and the fridge has a hard time "keeping up". We have always had at least 4 or more of the little "cube" fans in the fridge (powered by 2 D-cell batteries each) which helps, but I have talked to a couple of folks in the park with SOB's that have added fans to the outside of the trailer in the fridge compartment that have told me that doing that (adding 1-3 more fans-similar to a PC fan) has made a big difference. Freezer works OK, keeps things hard frozen, but milk, etc. goes bad sooner than we think it should. I hate to replace the whole refrigerator unit since it still works but would appreciate any advice from anyone who has had this done. TIA.

drjjj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2018, 11:18 AM   #2
Montana Man
Montana Master

M.O.C. #21963
I'm not going to be much help to you but I am in the middle of the same project. I have used a temporary fan to move air in the outside compartment with success. Some here have used pc fans but those are a bit weak. Muffin fans come in more suitable sizes and quality. I just got one with a separate digital controller. These are soon to be installed on a permanent basis.
Montana Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2018, 11:50 AM   #3
drjjj
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #5757
Thanks for the advice, Montana Man. It is going to be a few weeks before I can tackle this so additional advice would be much appreciated. We live on the far west side of San Antonio, and there is an independent RV shop in Castroville, Wagner RV that we have used since we have had the rig. The shop was started by Sonny Wagner and used to be located in a building adjacent to where we store the trailer between trips. Sonny retired several years ago and his son, Charles, and the top two techs took over the company and moved it to Castroville. Very competent, honest, and reasonably priced IMHO. I am sure that I will have them make the mod.
What is a Muffin fan? My wife is a gourmet cook and she had not heard of this.
Please keep me informed on your progress! People like you are what makes this forum the best!
Old 07-21-2018, 12:05 PM   #4
geobet
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #19170
Live and camp in hot, muggy Florida. Installed these (2) one on each side at the bottom. Fabricated a mounting bracket from 3/4" alum. strips for support. They're really quiet and seem to do the job improving air flow. They're 110 v not 12 volt. Used a three way adapter where the frig plugs in. Eventually will run through a relay so I can run them as needed from inside the coach without going out and pulling the vent cover and turning them on. Not really an issue though, just added convenience.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
geobet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2018, 12:12 PM   #5
jcurtis934
Montana Master

M.O.C. #13740
Muffin fan is an old term for computer fans of 4 inch and larger size. They are available in 12vdc or 120vac from surplus companies.
Old 07-21-2018, 01:21 PM   #6
Montana Man
Montana Master

M.O.C. #21963
She never heard of a muffin fan? Me either. But, here is what I found. It is 4.7". The fan plugs into the digital controller. Google muffin fan and you will find all types, speeds, noise ratings, etc. My fridge has an upper and lower vent outside. The vent is designed to let air in and up. The upper vent is the same which makes no sense to vent out rising hot air. I will end up with one fan near the intake and one high for exhaust.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0309.jpg
Views:	31
Size:	245.9 KB
ID:	1971  
Montana Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2018, 11:23 AM   #7
drjjj
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #5757
After hearing about the ARP system on this site and getting on their website it looks like their #4 kit is the answer to our problems. We do have a reliable RV shop (Wagner RV in Castroville, TX) that should be able to install it for us. Looking at the kit that has two fans and the ARP and will add the recommended 5A circuit breaker. I would appreciate feedback from anyone who has done this or had this done with any advice. TIA.
Old 07-29-2018, 11:54 AM   #8
dieselguy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3085
I have an ARP mod and have installed a few ARP units on fivers and TT's. It's a straight forward job and makes a lot of difference when done. I usually remove the screws around the face of the fridge and a couple in back that hold it to the floor … then slide it slightly inward. This helps with sensor install and getting to the OEM fans if you choose to upgrade them (more CFM / less noise) instead of going with ARP's little squirrel caged fans that zip tie to your plastic vents. The sensor for fan operation in placed in a better place, so you will notice your fans running longer. If you run into trouble with the install, Paul at ARP will talk you thru the roadblock right on the phone.
dieselguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2018, 12:39 PM   #9
drjjj
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #5757
dieselguy: thanks for the response. So I am clear-are you recommending the ARP system but NOT their fans? I have no idea how many, if any, fans are in the exterior now. Space permitting, is there any harm in adding ARP's two additional fans and keeping the OEM fans as well? Is that overkill in your opinion? Thanks.
Old 07-29-2018, 04:34 PM   #10
dieselguy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3085
ARP fans work as advertised on any of my installs that ordered them … their squirrel caged fans generally move more air than a bladed fan of a given size. I just don't like their install method of wire tying them to your existing plastic vents. All installs I've done kept the existing OEM fans as well as the ARP fans if purchased. You just have to wire the fans together. Air flow up the back of your fridge is key! ARP does away with the OEM thermistor at the top of your condenser coils and provides their own to locate down low on the condenser. This is a better location to place the fan control. In the end, I just wanted to use muffin fans ... computer case fans … whatever you want to label them. When you get a couple of fans sized right (CFM) and quiet enough (dB) I feel that sucking air from the bottom and blowing it out the top by fans mounted in the middle of all this works well. It just takes more patience and flexibility from the installer. The mounting bar is usually already there from the OEM location.
One other consideration is if there is a dead space right above your fridge looking in from the top vent, get a piece of say 1/4" plywood as wide as your fridge enclosure. Angle and secure the plywood from the top of your fridge to the outlet hole the upper plastic vent attaches to. This will eliminate the dead space where hot air sits (no matter how many fans you have) and guide it on out the top of the fridge enclosure. If you remove the top vent, and stick your hand above your fridge on a warm day, you'll understand what I'm trying to get across.
dieselguy is offline   Reply With Quote