Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Montana Problems, Problem Solving & Technical Help
Click Here to Login

Old 09-08-2006, 05:58 PM   #1
dejama
Established Member

M.O.C. #6250
Windows

We own a 3400RL with thermal window. We have lots of trouble with getting the windows to open without great difficulty. Has anyone else had that trouble and what can be done to get them to open more freely. We are full timers but are new to using the forum

dejama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2006, 06:07 PM   #2
dsprik
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4282
Use silcone spray. Ours are tight, too. Not any more difficult than those day/night shades. Ozz, can you come up with a motorized setup for those - remote control for each is preferrable...

dsprik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2006, 06:31 PM   #3
dejama
Established Member

M.O.C. #6250
Thanks for the suggestion. We will give that a try. The window by the computer are was so hard to open that when I tried to get it open all that happened was the metal part with the lock totally came off the window. That is how tight they are.
dejama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2006, 02:15 AM   #4
CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #191
dejama

Note on edit: we do NOT have the duel pane windows, but::::::::::

You might have as well as non-lubricated windows, something I call slag.

Look in the tracks of the windows, in the area you will be moving the window to. See if there is a bit of black caulk in a "dot". They put it over the slag to keep the slag from cutting you (that is my take on it anyway). The worst we had was on the small bedroom windows, we could not get them up over 3 inches, should have gone up at least twice that.

They took the caulk off, sanded off the bump of slag, re-caulked, and BAM, the windows went up.

If you are still in warranty, you might consider a trip to the dealer for a checkup.

Welcome to the forum, congrats on fulltiming, go forth and enjoy!

Carol

(Thanks Glenn)

Al & Carol Stevens Tipton, Mi.
Retired - Traveling with 4 Yorkies
2004 3295RK
2003 GMC 3500 Allison/8.1
PullRite 15.5K Super 5th
Line-X
JackRabbit tonneau cover
Bilstein shocks
Isolator Pin Box

Our Camping Rig History
Montana Improvements and Travel Reports
Recipe for the RVing Life

Our take on RV ownership, "Ya better be handy with your hands and handy with your cash."

Every day spent on earth is a blessing, every day spent in our Montana is a day blessed twice.
CountryGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2006, 03:03 AM   #5
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
We had the same problem with bits of debris in the window tracks on some windows or over caulking. These are "goes with the territory" issues.

Rich& Helen N.Ridgeville,Ohio.

F-350SD, Lariat, V-10,4:30 Diff, tow command Long bed, Crew Cab Dually, 06 3400RL
Mor-Ryde Pin Box

richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2006, 03:56 PM   #6
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Dsprik, if you are pulling the shades up and down evenly on both sides they should not be difficult to use. I've never tried this but have been told you can adjust the tension by loosening the screw in the little spool at the bottom where the cord attaches. You turn the spool to adjust the tension, then lock the spool down again. I'd recommend trying maybe an eighth of a turn at most and see if that's better before adjusting any more. Do the same amount on both sides unless they are unevenly tensioned. Again, I've not tried this, it's just what I read or was told.

See another Montana or Mountaineer on the road? Flash lights twice, it might be one of us!
Steve Reigle (pronounced Regal)
Fulltiming since 3/21/03
'07 3400RL
'05 Ford F250 SD Lariat CC SB 6.0L PSD/TS FX4 4x4

Our RV Travels (now Firefox-compatible)

sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote