Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > HEY KEYSTONE! > What I'd like to say if...
Click Here to Login

Old 02-27-2005, 12:54 PM   #1
campbud
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3142
slide control switch

This is one thing I cannot understand...why put this, where little hands can get it and push the button? Pleezeeeeeeee move this up higher so little ones are not so tempted...Pleezeeeeeee

campbud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2005, 12:57 PM   #2
Montana_2913
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #2913
I have said the same thing! Bad placement.
Montana_2913 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2005, 02:45 PM   #3
Sunseekers
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #710
Send a message via Yahoo to Sunseekers
I also agree that location of this switch is bad!. This was one of the first things I fixed on our Montana. I posted the following on December 2003:

I now have my slideout switch covered! At Home Depot electrical department I purchased a cover: Red-Dot RCCV S3026
Single cover, vertical mount,silver & metal.
1. Remove 2 existing screws.
2. Cut away old switch cover (this will elimate having to disconnect and reconnect all those wires)
3.Leave the existing backing that says ON/OFF.
4. Make a minor adjustment for bottom screw

In our opinion this cover looks better than the orginal one.
Hope this helps someone else mount their cover with ease
12/03
Sunseekers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2005, 04:05 PM   #4
FredG
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #1309
Actually, I would prefer having a keyed switch. Our previous trailer required you to put in a key and turn it one way for out and the other for in. This would prevent any accidental slide motion all together.

Fred
FredG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2005, 05:52 PM   #5
stiles watson
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2059
That's a great idea, Fred. With nine inquisitive grandkids from newborn to 12 years old, we are out numbered. If you lose the keys, you aren't going anywhere until you find them anyway.
stiles watson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2005, 02:45 AM   #6
Joyce H
Montana Master

M.O.C. #266
We went to Lowe's or Home Depot (can't remember which) and purchased a clear outlet cover box which is hinged at the top. Was very easy to install over our slide switch. Not only keeps the grandchildren from hitting this button, but if you come in when it's dark and reach for a switch you can tell the slide switch from the light switches. I agree with campbud this switch could be located in a better position, away from other light switches and above reaching level for younger ones.
Joyce H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2005, 04:05 AM   #7
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
It wouldn't be difficul to swap the current switch out and install a keyed switch, would it?
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2005, 06:14 AM   #8
larryngail
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #888
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Joyce H

We went to Lowe's or Home Depot (can't remember which) and purchased a clear outlet cover box which is hinged at the top. Was very easy to install over our slide switch. Not only keeps the grandchildren from hitting this button, but if you come in when it's dark and reach for a switch you can tell the slide switch from the light switches. I agree with campbud this switch could be located in a better position, away from other light switches and above reaching level for younger ones.
Hey there, Joyce~
This one works for me . Thanks for posting!
larryngail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2005, 04:04 PM   #9
FredG
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #1309
I think a switch like this one would work:
http://jordanindustrial.zoovy.com/pr...roogle-IDECKEY

The only thing I'm concerned about is the depth of the switch. Is there enough clearance behind the wall for a key switch?

It's too cold right now to look into it. Once we get the spring thaw, I'll start to look into the improvements I want and this may be one of them.

Fred

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by sreigle

It wouldn't be difficul to swap the current switch out and install a keyed switch, would it?
FredG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2005, 05:06 PM   #10
CRUZIN 2
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3160
On ours the slide switch is in the upper left side at the end of the over head cabinet, so they must have made a change. We have a 298LR 2005 Mountaineer, I don't know where the switch is on campbud's? If it's possible, maybe you could put a double switch in, that way you would have to hold both switches to make it work. Just throwing out some ideas.