Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > HAVE MOC WILL TRAVEL > Navigation
Click Here to Login

Old 12-17-2015, 01:48 PM   #1
brooksider
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #9963
Streets and ATrips

I have used Street and Trips for a number of years. Now that there are no longer updates what is every one using instead, and how satisfied are you.
Joe

brooksider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2015, 02:48 PM   #2
awaywego
Montana Master

M.O.C. #40
I use Google Maps and MapQuest. MapQuest can be downloaded from Computer to Ford Navigation on the truck through Sync.
awaywego is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2015, 02:54 PM   #3
Mrs. CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6337
I'm using it till it will not load on any new/future computers. I only use it on the computer.

On the iToys I use the now defunct, MotionX, Waze, and the other maps that come with the iToys.

In truck we use, the provided thing in the dash of the Dodge, with it's totally lame software. (It's lame when they take the diesel fuel stations out of the program, ohhh, it's a diesel truck. Just UGH) Also have another on the dash model.

My fav by far are the iToys apps.
Mrs. CountryGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2015, 03:47 PM   #4
pkbridges77
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #17920
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by awaywego

I use Google Maps and MapQuest. MapQuest can be downloaded from Computer to Ford Navigation on the truck through Sync.
Can you briefly explain how to load mapquest into Ford navigation?
pkbridges77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2015, 12:14 AM   #5
DQDick
Site Team

M.O.C. #11455
I use MapQuest, Google Maps and in the truck, Rand Mcnally.
DQDick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2015, 02:17 AM   #6
Bill and Jan
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #12932
I just use the free program on RVillage.
Bill and Jan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2015, 03:32 AM   #7
sola123
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10136
I use Copilot GPS on my ipad even though we still use streets and trips for overall trip planning....I also use the navigation system in the new F350....seems they all pretty much on the same routes together anyway
sola123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2015, 03:50 AM   #8
GLS3950
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #18049
I would also like to hear how to download mapquest into my Ford. I just received a letter from Ford and they want $149 for a map update.
GLS3950 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2015, 09:30 AM   #9
awaywego
Montana Master

M.O.C. #40
Ford Sync Navigation

To download a trip to Ford Sync go on MapQuest and plan your route. In the top corner click send then click car then click Sync and put the phone number you use for the Sync in the truck and it will send to the truck. When you get in truck and the phone connects with blue tooth it will say you have a download for Navigation do you want it. This also works for On Star
This WILL NOT DOWNLOAD COMPLETE MAPQUEST TO THE SYNC it will only download the trip.
awaywego is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2015, 11:38 AM   #10
Sundogette
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #13254
We still use streets and trips for planning purposes. We use google maps and the filters (low clearance, steep grades, etc) on Camps and Allstays while heading down the road. My hero loves to study Rand McNally as well....he traveled across the US numerous times in the 70's as a truck driver with only street map and his wits.....

Sundogette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2015, 11:05 AM   #11
DuneBuggyBuilder
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #15774
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by awaywego

Ford Sync Navigation

To download a trip to Ford Sync go on MapQuest and plan your route. In the top corner click send then click car then click Sync and put the phone number you use for the Sync in the truck and it will send to the truck. When you get in truck and the phone connects with blue tooth it will say you have a download for Navigation do you want it. This also works for On Star
This WILL NOT DOWNLOAD COMPLETE MAPQUEST TO THE SYNC it will only download the trip.
The key words here are "This WILL NOT DOWNLOAD COMPLETE MAPQUEST TO THE SYNC". It actually only downloads the start and stop locations. Sync will then calculate the route the system will use. Any modifications you made to the standard route in Mapquest are lost. You could just as easily enter the start/stop locations into the Ford GPS system and not bother with Mapquest at all.

P.S. the downlaod to Sync option of Mapquest is only available in the older "classic" Mapquest. The current version for the PC and any phone app version do not support this feature
DuneBuggyBuilder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2015, 05:00 AM   #12
rames14
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1920
I have used DeLorme Streets and Trips and Topo USA. Topo USA does everything SA does plus you can print out Topo maps for hiking.
Ron and Terrie Ames - MOC #1920/KF0NTA
2021Montana 3230CK Super Solar Legacy Package
2021 Ram 3500 Laramie Longhorn, BIM Charging
4x4, SRW, LB, Crew Cab, Pullrite 3900 Hitch
rames14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2015, 12:24 PM   #13
mlh
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2283
I to use Delorme Street Atlas. The thing I like about to is I can choose the route I would like to go. I have Garman on my I phone and Pad and find the Delorme a much better program. The Garman will get me where I won't to go but maybe not the route I won't to travel. The thing I can say about the Garman is back on track I think is better than the Delorme.
I also like the Topo maps. With either Topo or Street Atlas they display much more information than Garman. Things like the name of lakes, rail roads and display in different colors, government land like BLM land national forest.
Lynwood
mlh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2015, 12:25 PM   #14
mlh
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2283
I to use Delorme Street Atlas. The thing I like about to is I can choose the route I would like to go. I have Garman on my I phone and Pad and find the Delorme a much better program. The Garman will get me where I won't to go but maybe not the route I won't to travel. The thing I can say about the Garman is back on track I think is better than the Delorme.
I also like the Topo maps. With either Topo or Street Atlas they display much more information than Garman. Things like the name of lakes, rail roads and display in different colorsgovernment land like BLM land national forest.
mlh is offline   Reply With Quote