Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Tow Vehicles & Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 02-01-2011, 01:40 PM   #1
cdaniels
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7380
Smarty Jr Performance Chip

Has anyone purschased the smarty Jr performance chip and does it help with increased gas mileage and performace? Would you buy it again?

cdaniels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2011, 02:42 PM   #2
ray fischer
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #3760
Look on the Dodge diesel forum. I considered it as I only get 13/14 mpg around town solo on my 2005 4x4 automatic with 410 rear axle ratio. Some say they get no increase, some 1 or 2 mpg, a couple said 2 to 3 mpg. The consesus was nice increase in HP but little in mpg. I don't need more HP so I didn't buy. Let us know if any results.
ray fischer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2011, 06:51 PM   #3
kingdaddy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10966
I have one and yes, it can provide a substantial HP increase depending on what other mods you have and how you program it.
You can also improve your mileage, again depending on how you program it AND how you drive.
Hard not to use the increase in power, but if you have some self control and set it up right, you can really see some nice MPG improvement.
I would say it's definitely one of the better tuners for the Cummins (Dodge) and I have no regrets about it at all! I consistently average around 16 MPG with about 20-21 on highway @ 65 mph. All that with a nice increase in power too! If I tune it for max power, the truck just flat out hauls a$$! But I got it more for a bit more towing power and better mileage so I leave it tuned appropriately.
Old 02-03-2011, 07:15 AM   #4
CamillaMichael
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10246
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by kingdaddy

I have one and yes, it can provide a substantial HP increase depending on what other mods you have and how you program it.
You can also improve your mileage, again depending on how you program it AND how you drive.
Hard not to use the increase in power, but if you have some self control and set it up right, you can really see some nice MPG improvement.
I would say it's definitely one of the better tuners for the Cummins (Dodge) and I have no regrets about it at all! I consistently average around 16 MPG with about 20-21 on highway @ 65 mph. All that with a nice increase in power too! If I tune it for max power, the truck just flat out hauls a$$! But I got it more for a bit more towing power and better mileage so I leave it tuned appropriately.
I get pretty much the same MPG numbers on my stock F-350 w/o any additional chips or add-ons. I have wondered if thoses who have used these after market products have had any problems with any of their drive train components, like transmission????
CamillaMichael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2011, 02:12 PM   #5
mlh
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2283
You should get an improvement for both mileage and power. Every body who adds a chip, if they can keep their foot out of it get both.
Some people are under the mistaken assumption that adding more power will decreased life expediency of their truck. If you drive responsibly it can add to the life of your truck. Think about it. If we are going down the road at the same speed, rear wheel power is exactly the same far both trucks. I have 580 HP you have 350 HP but we aren't all of it. we are only us ins enough power to maintain the speed we are traveling. Since my engine doesn't haft to overcome the exhaust restriction of the DPF my engine is putting out a few lass HP than yours. Plus me cylinders aren't being washed free of all the oil on them like yours when its in Regen. No fuel is winding up in my oil because it goes into Regen. I convinced as our trucks age my engine will have less wear than a stock engine with the DPF. Will that matter? I doubt it. I doubt either one of us will drive our trucks till they are wore out anyway. To answer your question. No a tuner that is properly designed does not in any way harm any part of your truck, if you drive responsibly. Drive like an idiot and all bets are off. Even then these Ford 5R120 transmissions are extremely difficult to tear up.
Lynwood
mlh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2011, 03:32 PM   #6
kingdaddy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10966
Any time you increase power, you can certainly find out the "weak" point of your drivetrain...especially if you increase the power substantially OR use it in a irresponsible manner!
Different vehicles have their weak points so it is good to be aware of that and either modify for added strength or limit the power increase or both.
For my truck, most Cummins guys figure it is the 48RE auto trans (including the torque converter) but fortunately there are many upgrades that can make the trans handle huge power if you so desire. There are plenty of Cummins guys out there pushing way over 1,000 lb./ft. or torque and 5, 6 or 700 HP or more!
The mods I have and the way my Smarty Jr. is set, I figure conservatively I'm closer to about 400-425 HP and maybe 7-800 lb/ft of torque with a stock trans (so far ) Again, my main goal is to increase power modestly, lower my EGTs while towing and improve mileage. So far, mission accomplished!
Old 02-09-2011, 11:31 AM   #7
danandbetty
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #10132
This is in the "for what it's worth" category. I've never used a Smarty but I recently popped my cork when my mileage dropped from 12ish to 9ish. I traded my 2002 36' Monty for a 2011 3400RL. Slightly heavier but for some reason my mileage dropped like a rock. So...I spent some money and had a 4" turbo-back exhaust system installed (replacing the DPF, etc), replaced the stock cold air intake with an AFE system, and did a egr/cooler delete. then I installed an H&S Mini Maxx. WOW!!! what a difference in power/torgue/MPG. I now average around 14 mpg towing my 3400RL (without heavy winds or hills). Understand that MPG is extremely dependant on driving habits and conditions. Empty (not towing) hwy driving around 60mph I get 25.5 mpg now (18 before). Empty hwy driving at 65 I only get around 20 mpg. On the other hand..coming across I-10 west from San Antonio to Tucson (towing the new Monty) in a tough headwind I got about 10 to 11 mpg at 65 mph. If I had it to do all over again I would do all those mods sooner rather than wait. I love the Mini Maxx but I'm sure that the smarty is good too. Although...my Mini Maxx downloaded to the truck computer one time and I don't have to download every time I start up like the Edge products. Oh yeah...towing on uphill grades is SO MUCH BETTER!
danandbetty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2011, 01:04 PM   #8
cdaniels
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7380
Really appreciate your input. Since starting this thread we are in process of signing papers on a 2009 Big sky 36RE. Weight has increased significantly from the 2955 so mileage will decrease also. Your upgrades where very helpful. Something to think about.
cdaniels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2011, 08:09 AM   #9
kingdaddy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10966
If you haven't already, go to www.cumminsforum.com for some very helpful advice and info. Great group of folks for the most part, and I've learned a LOT about my truck since I bought it which has guided me in my upgrades and mods etc.
Amazing how these turbo diesels respond to some well chosen and integrated mods with both power and mileage increase.