Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Tow Vehicles & Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 12-14-2010, 03:24 PM   #21
Fire1
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #8237
Send a message via AIM to Fire1
Johnson Controls is a VERY big company. The seat you may be sitting on in your TV may be made by Johnson Controls as are the batteries and mnay other parts under thier company banner.

Fire1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2010, 12:52 AM   #22
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
In the HVAC business, I use tons of Johnson Controls stuff.
Well, I did my homework and I bought the Sears Platinum AGM 12 volt batteries, 2 of them. 4 year replacement, I forgot the pro-rated period, but it is long. I know it was the right choice for me and am very happy with the purchase. truck engine spins like crazy when I start it up.
I have so many Mods on my truck that are energy hungry, I need a great battery.
Ozz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2010, 01:19 AM   #23
Tom S.
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7500
I'm dreading the day when I get to spend $450 (or there abouts) on batteries for our truck. I'm on my 5th winter, so I know it's coming soon!
Tom S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2010, 01:32 AM   #24
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
You can get great batteries for half that, but the warranty is also half that.
Ozz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2010, 03:15 AM   #25
deadeye
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6693
Ozz:
I had a new experience in your area this past Monday. I was at my daughters in Shawnee and had let my truck set for a number of days. Got ready to go on Monday mourning to come home and the battery was dead. Poped the caps and to my surprise, two cells with frozen water/acid in them. Thought I could make it home, to no avail. Stopped in Liberty for breakfast and should have left it run. Had to get a jump. Went over to Meineke Car Care Center and had them put in a new 85 month wet battery. Total cost -- $121.85. Battery - $101.85, Install - $20.00 They checked the old one for load - Free. Back on the road in about 25 to 30 minutes. Good friendly, courtious service and not a real gouge, anyway it wasn't rel bad....JB
deadeye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2010, 06:57 AM   #26
Tom S.
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7500
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Ozz

You can get great batteries for half that, but the warranty is also half that.
I understand that Ozz, but living in Michigan, with our winters, I buy what I can depend on!
Old 12-15-2010, 07:01 AM   #27
Tom S.
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7500
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by deadeye

Ozz:
I had a new experience in your area this past Monday. I was at my daughters in Shawnee and had let my truck set for a number of days. Got ready to go on Monday mourning to come home and the battery was dead. Poped the caps and to my surprise, two cells with frozen water/acid in them. Thought I could make it home, to no avail. Stopped in Liberty for breakfast and should have left it run. Had to get a jump. Went over to Meineke Car Care Center and had them put in a new 85 month wet battery. Total cost -- $121.85. Battery - $101.85, Install - $20.00 They checked the old one for load - Free. Back on the road in about 25 to 30 minutes. Good friendly, courtious service and not a real gouge, anyway it wasn't rel bad....JB
If you have two batteries, you should replace them both. First line of logic in this is if the batteries are old and one failed, the second probably isn't far behind. Equally important, unless the second battery is nearly new, it won't be as powerful as the replacement and will drag the replacement down, possibly causing its premature death.
Old 12-17-2010, 09:28 AM   #28
Cyrus
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6535
New batteries in my 2005 yesterday. Went to dealer for regular service, 94,000 miles and they called me in to discuss the batteries. I had noticed in the cold weather they were getting weak even with the heater plugged in so it didn't surprise me since we had a snow and 20 degree nights. Service tech had tested them and had the numbers which were real low, I saw him on the TV in the waiting room testing them when he finished and started it. I am sure it is hard on the starter turning with low current and figured if I parked without the heater for very long I would end up paying for a jump. Not the best time of year to be putting out $400 for batteries and servicing!
Cyrus is offline   Reply With Quote