Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Sitting around the Campfire
Click Here to Login

Old 01-30-2010, 01:06 PM   #1
bob n pam
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2121
Balloon Festival & Rose Parade???

We would really like to attend both the New Mexico ballon festival and the Rose Parade in the next year and wonder if anyone else has ever attended. If so, did you go solo or as part of a group? This has been a lifelong dream of mine, and we may really get to do it this year. Thanks!

bob n pam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2010, 01:26 PM   #2
David and Jo-Anna
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6022
Pam, check with Charlie & Nila - they do the Balloon Festival every year.
David and Jo-Anna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2010, 01:27 PM   #3
8.1al
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1658
Pam,
We have attended the balloon festival the last 4 years by ourselves and have a great time, crewed on a balloon the last 2. While we saw no need to do tour for that we definitely felt there was a need to do a tour for the Rose Parade which we did with the Escapees. There is so much involved with the parade, campground, tickets, parking etc. we felt it would be a hassle to do by ourselves so we let them do it all and were glad we did. If you have any questions just yell
8.1al is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2010, 03:32 PM   #4
H. John Kohl
Montana Master

M.O.C. #311
Send a message via AIM to H. John Kohl Send a message via MSN to H. John Kohl Send a message via Yahoo to H. John Kohl
Ann and I as well as my mom and dad did the Rose Parade in Jan 1980. We went up on a bus and had prim seats just before the 120 corner. Interesting enough we see more on the TV than we did in person because they have more TVs at prim spots. We did not get to see the floats because we were on a bus schedule. The floats do not last long after the parade.

Hope this helps.
H. John Kohl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2010, 12:47 AM   #5
adelmoll
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2716
We did the balloon festival on our own and would do so again. We did not have any trouble on our own. I have friends that went with the Escappees group and they enjoyed it a lot also.

Went to the Rose Parade years ago with my sister who lives in the area. At that time we swore we would just watch it on TV the next time.

Helen
adelmoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2010, 06:27 AM   #6
bob n pam
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2121
Thanks everybody. Charlie, you can be sure we'll be in contact soon to pick your brain.
bob n pam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2010, 05:29 PM   #7
Imp
Montana Master

M.O.C. #956
I agree with Charlie. We did the Escapee HOP for the Rose Bowl and it was great. For the price (cheaper than Good Sam) you get a lot of different things and tour places that you might not on your own. They transport in a Bus and you don't have to deal with that traffic. You can also go a day ahead and help decorate a float. Throw in a fun New Year's Eve party with new friends you have made, what could be better.
You need to sign up as soon as it becomes available on Escapees. There are limited spaces (like 2 bus loads full). I usually fills up fast.
Imp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2010, 03:51 AM   #8
Waynem
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7673
Wow! We did the Rose Bowl Parade in 1962. Those were the days. We parked on a side street and set up "camp" on the main route sidewalk. We had our sleeping bags, etc. It was a one time experience and I'm not sure we would do it again, especially since I have matured so much (Okay - got older -= there). Some where in the collection of black and white memory pictures is the Rose Bowl Parade of 1962.

Thanks for the memories.
Waynem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2010, 04:14 AM   #9
Parrothead
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1989
Send a message via MSN to Parrothead
Even though I've never used a tour for the Rose Parade, I would recommend it. I went years and years ago, like Wayne much younger. It was an adventure that I would not repeat. The day after the parade, they park the floats and you can go see them. Really neat.
Happy trails.................
Parrothead is offline   Reply With Quote