Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Montana Problems, Problem Solving & Technical Help
Click Here to Login

Old 12-27-2007, 08:14 AM   #1
gitrdun
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #4075
furnace

What is involved in removing the worthless remote for heating and cooling and installing an old school thermostat? My furnace just comes on when it wants to, I even removed the batteries in the remote.

gitrdun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2007, 08:21 AM   #2
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
Try this:
Rv Furnace troubleshooting;
http://www.ducktec.com/furnace-trouble-shooting.htm

http://bryantrv.com/docs2/docs/acservice.pdf
Ozz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2007, 08:47 AM   #3
OntMont
Montana Master

M.O.C. #122
If you search the forum archives, you will find many pages on the remote, which almost everyone agrees is "worthless". (There are some exceptions). It is a unique system, unlike the old analog style thermostats, the only known replacement is the Dometic Comfort Control Center, that is used in the current Montanas. To replace it, you have to change both the wall mounted unit, and the main circuit board in the Air Conditioner. Dometic replaced many of these under warranty, but I am not sure they will still do that now, Give it try though. The actual change is not all that difficult, but Dometic may insist that a dealer confirms the malfunction and that a dealer makes the replacement. (My dealer took my word for it over the phone and just sent me the required parts).

I would call Dometic Customer Service and explain your problem, mentioning that you know from this Forum that they have already replaced many remote thermostats with the Comfort Control Center. Good Luck!
OntMont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2007, 09:28 AM   #4
Charlie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3029
The thermostats that use the remote are a piece of junk. Several MOC'ers had to have them changed including myself. The Hunter that Ozz refers to will not work as there is a phone type connector between the thermostat and the heater and A/C. If it has a standard four wire analog system as used in other trailers the Hunter will work. I called Dometic and they sent me a replacement thermostat. Mine was still under warranty at the time so it was a dealer install after the fight. It is the same digital that Keystone is now installing in the newer trailers. My advise is to obtain the serial number on your A/C and call Dometic. Remove the A/C filter and look at the unit, serial number will be visible there.
Charlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2007, 11:05 AM   #5
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
Heck, I didn't even check the site out, I copied it from a link somewhere. Sorry about that.
Got to wake up...
Old 12-27-2007, 01:31 PM   #6
gitrdun
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #4075
Thanks for the info. I had called Keystone earlier and they played dumb.
gitrdun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2007, 02:46 PM   #7
bigmurf
Montana Master

M.O.C. #538
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by gitrdun

Thanks for the info. I had called Keystone earlier and they played dumb.
My bet is "they weren't playing"g
bigmurf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2007, 02:57 PM   #8
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
I don't know what kind of heating system is on this 2007 3400RL but it is not the remote. It does, however, have a thermostat connected with a phone jack connector. I know because I had to replace ours under warranty early on (I got the part from the dealer and swapped it myself). That makes me wonder if the thermostat used in the current Montanas would work to replace the one gitrdun has.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2007, 01:17 AM   #9
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
I know you do have to change out the board on the unit as well as the thermostat.
Giterdun;
Turn off the breaker on the A/C unit, the 12 volt fuse on the furnace, pull the batteries in the remote, then power up everything and try that. Might work.
Ozz