Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > It's a Dirty Job but Someone has to do it!
Click Here to Login

Old 05-21-2007, 06:41 AM   #1
5ER
Montana Master

M.O.C. #90
Power wash your RV?

I have a power washer that I use to clean our vinyl siding. Is it OK to clean the Montana with the power washer? I have always cleaned it with old elbow grease but have read where a member cleans the roof with a power washer. It would be much easier and faster but would it damage anything? Thanks in advance for replies.

5ER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2007, 07:23 AM   #2
skypilot
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1846
I don't see why not -- I just witnessed the dealer's prep guy(s) using a powerwasher on a new unit being delivered (actually they were doing the roof when I saw them!). As long as you use a wide spray and watch out for the decals ??????
skypilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2007, 09:34 AM   #3
SlickWillie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6575
Yep, I just washed mine with a power washer last week. Had to put a new pump on it when we hit the home base. It is a 2600 psi, 2.5 gpm washer. You definitely want to be careful, because those sorts of pressures will peel decals and cut the rubber roof. I use mine more to rinse than anything else. I use the Coral Blue with wax, and apply it with low pressure then rinse with high pressure. I still have to use a brush, as nothing will take the place of elbow grease.
SlickWillie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2007, 11:17 AM   #4
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Been using my Sears power washer on our campers for years 1800PSI, 4.5HP 2.5GPM..Makes the job easy. It is adjustable just adjust it to a usable pressure.No big deal.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2007, 11:46 AM   #5
bsmeaton
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6109
Just use common sense and you should be fine. Remember power washers are also used to strip decals, paint off your house, etc.

I use a power washer on fine spray primarily because it uses very little water and I'm tied into the stick house hot water tank.
bsmeaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2007, 02:55 PM   #6
Cat320
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5751
I have a power washer, but don't use it on the Montana except on the belly. Don't want to chance removing a decal, caulk, or blowing water where it is not supposed to be.
Cat320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2007, 04:15 AM   #7
gkbutler
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4049
Send a message via MSN to gkbutler Send a message via Yahoo to gkbutler
We've been using our Husy 1500psi power washer to wash our Monty for two years now and no problems.
We use the Bounce dryer sheets on the front cap and sides to wash the bugs and black streaks off then use the power washer to clean everything off.
gkbutler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2007, 04:47 AM   #8
Glenn and Lorraine
Montana Master

M.O.C. #420
Power washers are fine BUT just be extremely careful around the graphics especially so around the edges. Do not use anything the least bit abrasive on the graphics. Special treatments such as protectants, waxes, etc are not necessary and will NOT prolong their life. Most of the graphics used just a few years ago will start to peel within 3 or 4 years. The newer graphics have improved some what but even those will start peeling in 5 to 6 years. I got this info from a graphics designer (Sign-Age) with over 15 years in the business. His installer with 18 years experience said the same thing. They not only design, make and install the small graphics like we have on our Montys but they also do entire buses, vans and motor homes.
Glenn and Lorraine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2007, 06:29 AM   #9
rldriver
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2801
Mother nature is our power washer. We came home from trip with bugs all over the front cap and before I could get around to clean them off we had a big over night rain and the next day I took my bucket out and no bugs. So thanks Mom.
rldriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2007, 11:36 AM   #10
skypilot
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1846
Dick & Jackie: Must be some powerful soap in that rain water -- here, wet, soak, scrub, soak, scrub some more, and the bugs are still on the cap (assuming you don't get them washed off within a day at most of them getting there). Had one guy at the wash rack swearing he was 'just going to paint over them' next time -- it was so bad last summer.
skypilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2007, 03:13 PM   #11
Clyde n Deb
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #3477
Saw a brand new Hitchhiker II at the storage lot yesterday. Had a sticker on the side yet, said using a power washer on the graphics voided the warranty on them.
Clyde n Deb is offline   Reply With Quote