Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Montana Problems, Problem Solving & Technical Help
Click Here to Login

Old 10-08-2006, 10:11 AM   #1
Phil Poindexter
Established Member

M.O.C. #4125
Propane tanks and regulator problems

We've just arrived home after a 4 month trip, and for the past 3 weeks or so, I've been smelling propane around the tank area and in the front bay. Unable to detect leaks in either cylynder compartment.

Yesterday, I noticed that Tank #1 had ran out and that the regulater went to tank # 2. However, no red flag popped up and I have no idea how long we were on tank #2. This is a new regulator. I replaced the first when the indicator failed to work at all and I could see the spring in the little window.

Upon removing both tanks, I find that neither valve on the tank when cranked open will allow gas to excape. When I install the full one in the trailer, I will not allow propane to flow.

Anybody have an idea what is going on???

Thanks for your input!

Phil Poindexter

Phil Poindexter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2006, 10:39 AM   #2
LonnieB
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6150
Send a message via MSN to LonnieB
Phil, when the tanks are not hooked up and you open the valves, there will be NO flow due to there being check valves built into the cylinder valves. There is a plunger that must be depressed by the fitting on the hose before any fuel can leave the tank. There is also a safety valve, I forget what it's called, that shuts the propane off if you get a sudden loss of pressure due to a leak in the system. After the full tank is hooked up, and you are sure the hose is screwed down tight, open the valve slowly so the system is gradually pressurised. I know I'm not making this very clear, but you can do a search in the archives as there was a very long post on this just a week or so ago. Somebody will be along to lead you in the right direction shortly

Edit - It was under the subject heading - Propane issues
LonnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2006, 10:46 AM   #3
OntMont
Montana Master

M.O.C. #122
Propane cylinders have a safety feature called an "excess flow valve" built into them. These are designed to close in the event of a significant leak. They will also close if there is a sudden large flow of gas, such as when you first turn on a tank. This has been a long standing problem with the tank on the side away from the regulator, because it has to fill the empty cross-over pipe when it is turned on. Newer units (Oct '05 on) have a second regulator to prevent this happening.

In your case, there may be something else going on, because of your mention of smelling propane, but for a start, try reconnecting your tanks, and opening them VERY slowly. This may overcome any problem associated with the excess flow valve. If you are still smelling gas though, I would get it checked out by someone with some experience with propane systems.
OntMont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2006, 11:20 AM   #4
Broome101
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1832
I had similar problem after having ours for a few months. Friend next to me came over said he smelled it again, we could not find the leak. Finally I took a spray bottle with little soap and water mix and found leaks around the metal piping and fittings. Took them apart used teflon tape instead of pipe goke they used and tighten all fitting and joints very tight with pipe wrenches, problem solved.
Broome101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2006, 11:30 AM   #5
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Phil, we also had that leak in our prior Montana. When I finally located it with the soapy water test it was where Broome's was - where the black metal crossover pipe connects to the flex hose. Hard to find.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2006, 01:44 PM   #6
Phil Poindexter
Established Member

M.O.C. #4125
To: Lonnie B, OntMont, Broome 101 and Steve

Well what a great response about the propane issues I had. Should have known about the safety check valve in the cylinders. I think the answer is to open the valves really slow so the crossover pipe can fill up.

I will check for leaks around the pipe with some commercial leak detector and am sure I will work it out.

So again, THANKS very much for your replies!!!

Phil
Phil Poindexter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2006, 10:59 AM   #7
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Phil, my beeping leak detector would not detect the leak on mine. A little dishwashing liquid in water showed the bubbles right away.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote