Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Montana Problems, Problem Solving & Technical Help
Click Here to Login

Old 08-26-2006, 08:58 AM   #1
ldunning
Established Member

M.O.C. #5692
Dead Electric Circuit

I just went out to get the Monty ready to take a trip. I noticed that the refrigerator was on gas. I checked the circuit breakers and all have 120 volts on the output side. I then noticed that all the 120 volt lights and plugs in the entertainment unit, LR slide and rear of the coach were dead. I checked the GFI plugs and they aere all good. I could not find a GFI for the dead circuit and I noticed that none of the plugs on the circuit are labeled as GFI protected, so I assume that there is not a GFI on that circuit. I sure wish that Keystone included a wiring schematic in the so called Owner's Manual. I am now guessing that I have a bad connection in one of the receptacles. Does anyone know how this circuit is run on a 2955?

2000 F-250 4wd Hypertech
4" exhaust Gauges K&N
2006 2955rl

ldunning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2006, 10:09 AM   #2
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
ldunning,
Bummer! I understand that there is no set wiring diagram. Check the connector under the slide, (Sorry, I am not familiar with your unit, if it was a 3400RL, I know that one) On mine, there is a plastic push together connector, under a carpeted board under the desk. Access is Two screws, the carpeted board comes off.
Get a proximity detector, a pen like plastic instrument that makes noise and sometimes lights up (different ones) when set next to a hot wire. (Lowe's, Home Depot, )Then check under the slide where the SO wire (Black rubber coated like an extension cord) runs. Or, take the cover off of the 2x4 box and check it.
Good luck.
Ozz

'07 3400RL 2nd RTU
2 Golf Cart batteries 3,000 watt inverter, automatic transfer switch
Honda 2000 Generator, Maytag's with 220 Dryer
Stationary domed Sat. dish, LCD 12 Volt Amp gauge, LCD Tank Monitor
3 added 120 volt outlets, On Board Air; 12 Volt Viair 450C compressor
2006 Ford PSD 4x4 Off Road Lariat, Hadley Air Horns, Truck inverter with 110 volts: laptop, Color Backup camera, Firestone air bags,Husky air ride roller hitch, Awning lock
Ozz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2006, 12:32 PM   #3
Parrothead
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1989
Send a message via MSN to Parrothead
Lee
Check your plug on your 50 amp cord. One pole on ours came loose and we lost the same power things you are describing.
Happy trails.............................

Sue and Ed Rowe
Hemet California

2005 3400RL
2006 GMC 3500 Dually, D/A, Crew Cab, Long Bed
Parrothead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2006, 02:19 PM   #4
Charlie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3029
Lee-
I had the same thing happen. You might want to check outside under the kitchen slide.

All power to the kitchen slide plus lights in the 110V lights in the rear of the trailer were dead. On my 3295 RK there is a GFIC on the kitchen island. Each time I tried to reset it would trip.

What I found was the main supply 110V line to the slide had been caught on a grounding lug from the frig underneath the slide, penetrated the insulation and shorted out. I replaced the wire, and used tie wraps to reposition it so that it would not get caught again when the slide was pulled in.

Charlie
2001 F-250 Lariat SC 4x2 LB 7.3L PSD
BD Power ECM 80 HP Performance Chip
BD Power X-Monitor LED Digital Gauges
Firestone Ride-Rite Air Bags
2005 3295RK

Charlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2006, 02:44 PM   #5
ldunning
Established Member

M.O.C. #5692
Thanks for the suggestions. I have checked the connections in the breaker box and there doesn't appear to be any problems on the input or output to any of the breakers. I don't have a kitchen slide and the best I can do on the wiring is trace it to where it disappears into a wall. It would make sense that the wiring would go from the breaker panel to the closest connection and then feed on from there. The closest dead connection to the breaker panel is the refrigerator and the wire is dead when it gets to the receptacle. I'll try to call Montana Monday morning. Just my luck, it went out of warranty yesterday.

2000 F-250 4wd Hypertech
4" exhaust Gauges K&N
2006 2955rl
ldunning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2006, 07:34 PM   #6
EagleRunner
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #5255
Lee,
I had the exact same problem on my 2955RL. Found a loose return line in the breaker panel for that circuit. Take a look at the white wires in your breaker panel box where they attach to a buss strip. You will find one, in the middle of the bunch with a slightly discolored end. If you are lucky, you might even catch a spark to let you know which one it is. I suggest you tighten all the screws that secure these wires; you may find more than one loose. A loose return line will cause a dead circuit. While you are at it, there is also a buss strip for the ground wires (bare copper). Tighten them too.

I hope this helps.

EagleRunner

Tom & Nancy
TV: 2005 Silverado HD-2500 Crew-cab Duramax/Allison
5er: 2005 2955RL
EagleRunner is offline   Reply With Quote