Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Montana Problems, Problem Solving & Technical Help
Click Here to Login

Old 08-26-2006, 05:32 AM   #1
Clyde n Deb
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #3477
Loose Bolt in Floor

In my '05 2955RL, I had one of the bolts that holds the flooring panels to the frame work itself loose and start coming back up through the lino. (The bolt is about 4" long, and has a head on it about 3/8" in dia.) As I was 200 miles from home, I consulted the dealer and cut a slot in the lino and removed the bolt/screw until I got home for repair. I am out of warranty, and he says the minimum charge by their lino repair guy is $85.00. If I want, he will send a request in to Keystone, said they sometimes cover such things on a case by case basis. I think I can fix it myself just fine, but was wondering if anyone else has had to deal with this? The svc. mgr. at the dealer thinks I should just leave the bolt out. I was thinking of some Loc-Tite in the hole first, followed by a bit of Liquid Nails and replace it. Then glue the lino. back down where it is slit.
Anyone been there?

'05 2955RL w. Onan 5.5 LP
'04.5 GMC D/A 4" exhaust, deep Allison pan, extra cap. rear diff. cover
SRW Short Bed Ext. Cab
16K Reese slider
Prodigy
and a smile this wide!

Clyde n Deb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2006, 11:39 AM   #2
RKassl
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3699
I have the 2955RL, same year as yours, where did the bolt come through the floor exactly?

Thanks

Bob and Nancy Kassl a.k.a. Buck and Muffin
2005.5 2955RL Montana Spruce Interior
2004.5 Chevy LT 2500HD D/A CC SB Dark Metallic Green
Bilstein Shocks/Timbrens SES /Westin Platnium Pipes
Reflex Bed Liner/Access Cover
Major MSC USAR Retired

RKassl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2006, 02:15 PM   #3
azstar
Montana Master

M.O.C. #740
Clyde,

Had the same problem. Lucky for me it was under a carpeted area. I pulled up the carpet, cut the lino and lock tighted the bolt. It lasted a year and came loose. Go figure. I recently tightened it again, but this time I used liquid nails in the hole first. I think It's gona work this time.

If you had a nice sharp slit, I believe you can get Lino repair stuff at HD or lowes. I had some lino repaired a few years ago and the repair was great.

Wish you the best.

Steve & Nina
03 Mountaineer TT 335RLBS
2000 Dodge 2500 Quad Cab LB V10 2WD Posi. Reese HP Dual Cam
Prodigy-K&N-Mobil 1
azstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2006, 05:53 PM   #4
Clyde n Deb
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #3477
Don't htink the position was relevant. I think there have to be several of these dudes thru the floor of the coach. This particular one was straight in from the entry door, about mid coach exactly when not considering the slide. 18" prox. from the rear carpet edge, right in the middle as far as E/W not counting the slide. The slide actually covers it when it's in. Talked to a lino guy @ Home Depot last night, didn't know of any kit per se, says he thinks I should proceed as I had planned with the glue, etc. Don't think I want to make a big issue of it, was just curious if anyone else had dealt with it.

'05 2955RL w. Onan 5.5 LP
'04.5 GMC D/A 4" exhaust, deep Allison pan, extra cap. rear diff. cover
SRW Short Bed Ext. Cab
16K Reese slider
Prodigy
and a smile this wide!
Clyde n Deb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2006, 03:42 AM   #5
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Welcome to the "loose bolt somewhere in the floor" club.Many of us have that, the model makes no difference. Ours was in the middle of the living room floor in our brand new 3400.Old world craftsman short on time...

Rich& Helen N.Ridgeville,Ohio.

F-350SD, Lariat, V-10,4:30 Diff, tow command Long bed, Crew Cab Dually, 06 3400RL
Mor-Ryde Pin Box

richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2006, 03:50 AM   #6
CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #191
Richfaa

we had one too, only it was not there for the first 2.9 years of ownership. Why did it show up?? have no idea. under carpet, not lin. not easy to get to, lots of sore arms trying to get out and then put back down in far enough that we cannot feel it again.

a lump under carpet in new unit, been there, done that, on the TT it was a hunk of wood. That happens, not that it is excuseable, but it happens. but, it is not the same thing as a bolt coming up after 2.9 years of ownership.

Al & Carol Stevens Tipton, Mi.
Retired - Traveling with 4 Yorkies
Our Camping Rig History
Montana Improvements and Travel Reports
Our take on RV ownership, "Ya better be handy with your hands and handy with your cash."
2004 3295RK
2003 GMC 3500 Allison/8.1
PullRite 15.5K Super 5th
Line-X
JackRabbit tonneau cover
Bilstein shocks
Isolator Pin Box

Every day spent on earth is a blessing, every day spent in our Montana is a day blessed twice.
CountryGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2006, 06:04 AM   #7
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Ours is dead center in the middle of the living room floor.It is not something left under the carpet it is a bolt head . It is on our list of things for the dealer to address when we go in for warranty work.It is a very short list and I am not driving 60 miles for a short list...

Rich& Helen N.Ridgeville,Ohio.

F-350SD, Lariat, V-10,4:30 Diff, tow command Long bed, Crew Cab Dually, 06 3400RL
Mor-Ryde Pin Box

richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2006, 11:11 AM   #8
Driftwoodgal
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5446
Send a message via AIM to Driftwoodgal
We had a bolt or screw in our linoleum in the entry way floor. It was right about the place you would stand to step up into the bedroom.

I am not sure what they did to get rid of it, but it was taken care of during some warranty work that we had done.

You can't tell that anything was ever there.

Colleen
Driftwoodgal is offline   Reply With Quote