Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Montana Problems, Problem Solving & Technical Help
Click Here to Login

Old 08-17-2006, 09:15 AM   #1
TOM F
Established Member

M.O.C. #5959
319bhs not heat to front bedroom

I have no heat to the front of the 5er. I have read of this same problem with this model on another forum. Has anyone had Keystone come up with a fix for this. I have read where people resolved the problem by tapping into the duct that heats the tanks but I do not want to do this yet, as the unit is still under warranty. The unit is currently at the dealer awaiting a responce from Keystone.

TOM F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2006, 09:51 AM   #2
AZCampinfool
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #5430
Same problem with mine and others here. The bunk room is an oven, and the bedroom is an icebox. I too have read about tapping into the duct work but haven't looked into that option yet. I put adjustable registers in both the bunk room and living area near the bunks. I can close the registers off which seems to divert more air up to the bedroom but it still isn't great. I would be curious to see what Keystone says about this issue. Please keep us informed about the response you get.

Me, "outnumbered" by three red heads...my dear wife
& 2 DD's, plus Sam & Taylor the yellow camping labs.
2001 GMC Sierra 2500HD Crew Cab 4X4
8.1L big block/Allison
06 Mountaineer 319BHD w/Trailair Pin Box
AZCampinfool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2006, 06:11 PM   #3
Kathi
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3113
This happened to us but it was with the livingroom and kitchen. No heat was coming out of those 2 registers. When we had it at the dealers, Keystones fix was, We were told to cover up the ones that had heat coming out of them. I wasn't to happy about that conclusion. Finally we just got little heaters plus the fireplace and they work real great plus we save on propane.

Paul & Kathi Landau
Lola, Beulah & Hamel (BLk/Tan Coonhounds)
Max (Doxie) all rescues
Kalispell Montana

02' Dodge 3500 Cummins Diesel, Dually Longbed,
Banks Exhaust Sys.,
5"exhaust, Prodigy Brake Controller, Reese 22K Hitch, Magellan Roadmate 700 GPS.

05' 3400RL

Kathi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2006, 02:12 AM   #4
shyattmedic

M.O.C. #5334
I pulled the panels off in the past thru storage area. The flex duct had about 3 feet of extra length. I removed it and made it straight. With sealing the connections to the metal ducts, I picked up a good deal of flow.
shyattmedic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2006, 04:39 AM   #5
TOM F
Established Member

M.O.C. #5959
shyattmedic

Are you refering to the panels under the front bedroom? If so I have removed them to take a look and the duct there is pretty straight up from the floor of the storage area to the duct work in the floor under the front bedroom. I have not removed this flex duct to check air flow, due to this unit being under warranty. I am still waiting on Keystones responce to my call to customer service. I have heard good things about there customer service so I am hoping to get a resolution that works for both Keystone and myself.
TOM F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2006, 04:51 AM   #6
shyattmedic

M.O.C. #5334
yes those are the ducts, I've found keystone is good if your dealer is pushing for you. I have had a bunch of little production item that ended up needing to be fixed. Stupid quality things like the duct being to long, the fresh water hose and vent being to long by 18" and kinking, the drawer support for the kitchen drawers being 2" to short and the whole assembly falling apart, the pantry shelves being cut to narrow and pulling off the supports, and having 2 missing a/c ducts in te ceiling. I should say mine is th 6th 342pht off the line and these could all be draeings to production problems, however, it has been my dealer (Beckeley's Rv in Frederick, MD) fighting to cover things under warrenty not Keystone.

2006 f550 crew cab
PSD 4X4 auto
chariot vans conversion
2006 342pht
Jasper- front passenger
Blue heeler
malibu- Papillion
2 kids
DW
shyattmedic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2006, 06:56 AM   #7
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Tom, I don't know which year and model you have so maybe this won't apply to you. On our 2003 3295RK and also on our 2001 2880RL, below the bottom step going to the upstairs is a distribution box. On our 2001, we had almost no heat upstairs. The dealer removed four screws buried in the corners of that step, found the hose going upstairs was getting less flow than the other one so he swapped their position. That helped considerably. The screws are really buried in the carpet and hard to locate. They're the standard rv Roberson head, the square hole kind, just like on the cabinet hinges.

Some models have access to the distribution box behind a removable wall in the basement storage area. Our older models do not. Your problem may be different but at least there you could see if the problem is before or after the distribution box.

Some folks have removed vent covers and found the cutout was still laying there partially or fully blocking airflow.

See another Montana or Mountaineer on the road? Flash lights twice, it might be one of us!
Steve Reigle (pronounced Regal)
Fulltiming since 3/21/03
'03 3295RK
'05 Ford F250 SD Lariat CC SB 6.0L PSD/TS FX4 4x4

Our RV Travels (now Firefox-compatible)

sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2006, 02:03 PM   #8
crandallbradley
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #5044
MY 319BHD has the same problem. I would like to know the fix also. Looked at the flex vent pipe. Like to know about blocking some of it.
crandallbradley is offline   Reply With Quote