Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Montana Problems, Problem Solving & Technical Help
Click Here to Login

Old 08-04-2006, 07:42 AM   #1
Montana_6076

M.O.C. #6076
Black Water Tank...always FULL?!?!?

Hello All!

My husband and I are new Montana owners and took "The Escape Pod" out to Utah's canyon country for her maiden voyage! All went well, however we are unable to get an "empty" reading on our black water tank, no matter how long we let it empty. The gauge showed full...so I know it works...but only empties out to a reading of 1/3. Help! Please tell me how to get that thing to EMPTY!

Any thoughts, suggestions, perils of black water wisdom?

(Sorry, I just realize that I posted this under "Announcements" the first time...not much of an announcement!)

Montana_6076 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2006, 08:01 AM   #2
8.1al
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1658
Welcome to the forum, this was discussed recently and common concensus was that about the only time your tank will read empty is when it is brand new and never been used. There are probes in the tank at various levels and if there is any buildup of paper, etc. the probes will give a reading. It just doesn't seem possible to get that bottom probe clean so don't drive yourself nuts

"No matter where you go there you are"

Charlie & Nila
Fulltiming,formerly Hadley,MI
"presently in Hadley "
"2004" 3575RL
"2001" 2500HD, 8.1
8.1al is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2006, 08:40 AM   #3
jrgwdenner
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1105
You are not allowed to be a member in good standing on this forum unless your black tank reads 1/3 full when empty. It just isn't allowed! So welcome to the forum. You have qualified as a member in good standing!

Judy
http://spaces.msn.com/bamatravelers/
http://bamatravelers.blogspot.com
Traveling with Glen and Greta in our 2004 Dodge dually and Montana 3380 RL
jrgwdenner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2006, 09:42 AM   #4
Parrothead
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1989
Send a message via MSN to Parrothead
I forgot to mention in the previous post that using "Septic Friendly" paper helps also. You don't need to buy the expensive RV paper. A lot of major brands you buy at the grocery store are ok. Look on the back of the package and it will tell you.
Happy trails....................

Sue and Ed Rowe
Hemet California

2005 3400RL
2006 GMC 3500 Dually, D/A, Crew Cab, Long Bed
Parrothead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2006, 09:54 AM   #5
CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #191
Welcome to the forum

Ditto to the other's comments, septic paper, the water softener trick in the tanks (specially when running, so it sloshes around),

Another trick (does not apply if you are boondocking), repeat the mantra: LESS PAPER, MORE WATER!

(Oh, and gently used paper goes in a trash can NOT the toilet, this cuts down on solids in the tank.)

Forget the silly guages, go forth, and CAMP ON!!

Cheers,

Carol

Al & Carol Stevens Tipton, Mi.
Retired - Traveling with 4 Yorkies
Our Camping Rig History
Montana Improvements and Travel Reports
Our take on RV ownership, "Ya better be handy with your hands and handy with your cash."
2004 3295RK
2003 GMC 3500 Allison/8.1
PullRite 15.5K Super 5th
Line-X
JackRabbit tonneau cover
Bilstein shocks
Isolator Pin Box

Every day spent on earth is a blessing, every day spent in our Montana is a day blessed twice.
CountryGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2006, 10:15 AM   #6
Glenn and Lorraine
Montana Master

M.O.C. #420
Forget the gauges. Get yourself a system and get on with the RV life.
Forget the ice and dragging the rig around, forget the Pine Sol, forget the Calgon, forget all the additives and gimmicks about trying to clean the tanks sensors. While all these additives and gimmicks may or may not work and even when they do work, one thing is sure, in a short time you will be right back to a full tank even though you just dumped it. Imagine That!
We just gave up on the gauges and developed a system.
Get into the habit of dumping AS NEEDED and get on with life!

What is dumping as needed?? Believe me you'll learn at which point the RV life will be so much easier.

By the way "Septic Friendly Toilet Paper" is nothing more than Scott single ply tissues. We have been using Scott from day one and NEVER had any kind of problem. Buying the so called "RV paper" is totally unnecessary and a huge waste of money.

Glenn
Montana Owners Home Page
RV Related Links

Glenn and Lorraine
M O C - 4 2 0

We are using a 2005 White GMC Sierra SLE 2500HD Extended Cab, Short Bed, 4X4
with the Duramax/Allison Combo and Firestone Ride-Rite air bags
to drag around our 2004 Montana 2955RL 32'
using a PullRite 16K SuperGlide Automatic Sliding Hitch

Our Monty & GMC
"We must be willing to get rid of the life we've planned,
so as to have the life that is waiting for us!"

You know you are retired when you wake up in the morning with
nothing to do and go to bed at night with it only half done.

BUT, Keep in mind, doing nothing can be a very
tiresome job because you can't stop to rest

Glenn and Lorraine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2006, 10:37 AM   #7
Montana_6076

M.O.C. #6076
WOW...you guys are all great! Sounds like this problem of ours is a surprise to no one. Thanks for all of your suggestions...especially the "non RV Store TP". I thought that's all one could use in an RV tank! I think it could have ended up costing us more than fuel! I'm going to learn to live with a 1/3 full reading and camp on!
Montana_6076 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2006, 10:53 AM   #8
CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #191
Lorraine,

Get Glenn to spring for the double ply paper, have been using the double for years and have not plugged one RV toilet yet! LESS PAPER, MORE WATER!!! Course, I still use the trash can for the gently used stuff. LESS PAPER, MORE WATER! (does not sound quite the same as, less filling, etc on the beer commercial does it! HA HA )

Carol
Old 08-04-2006, 11:10 AM   #9
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
For whatever reason our guages, after 3 months, are working perfectly..very unusual????

Rich& Helen N.Ridgeville,Ohio.

F-350SD, Lariat, V-10,4:30 Diff, tow command Long bed, Crew Cab Dually, 06 3400RL
Mor-Ryde Pin Box

richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2006, 11:31 AM   #10
CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #191
Ok Rich,

YA GOTTA USE THE HOLDING TANKS TO MESS UP THE GAUGES!

(sorry, could not help myself!)

Seriously, that is unusual.

Carol
Old 08-04-2006, 03:06 PM   #11
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Every Rv we've ever owned had the same kind of gauges and they all worked or not worked the same way. The biggest problem is the sensors are inside the tank. You can buy aftermarket sensors that go on the outside. Those don't get clogged up.

But we just ignore those gauges now except for the freshwater tank gauge. The shower tank is full when it backs up into the shower. The galley tank when it backs up into the sink. The black tank is ready to dump when you get that little plop when you flush. The clean flush water kind of jumps up. Not really a splash back but I think probably something to do with air pressure from a full tank. In any case, we've learned how many days we can go on the black tank, how many showers on the shower tank, etc.

See another Montana or Mountaineer on the road? Flash lights twice, it might be one of us!
Steve Reigle (pronounced Regal)
Fulltiming since 3/21/03
'03 3295RK
'05 Ford F250 SD Lariat CC SB 6.0L PSD/TS FX4 4x4

Our RV Travels (now Firefox-compatible)

sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2006, 03:36 PM   #12
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
What are all those bushes for???

F-350SD, Lariat, V-10,4:30 Diff, tow command Long bed, Crew Cab Dually, 06 3400RL
Mor-Ryde Pin Box

Old 08-04-2006, 07:13 PM   #13
Searchers
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1685
Place a sheet of any brand TP in a glass of water and shake it up. If it begins to fall apart after a few shakes it's okay for the RV tank.

Don & Claudia
MOC 1685
1999 2850RK
1995 F250 Ext.Cab 4x4 7.3 PSD
Searchers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2006, 09:46 PM   #14
ronnilu
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #3933
Alright everybody - is this what they call 'bathroom humor'? Al & Carol/Country Guy, can you give us a good definition of what "gently used" is, or do we just go by a color chart? Richfaa, a properly functioning black tank monitor is a sign of a sick mind and is almost close to bragging. Makes me feel like somehow my rig isn't as good as it should be? mike

Mike & Ronni Sorrell
Bakersfield, Calif.
'06 3295RK
'03 GMC Duramx/Allison,4 door, long bed, supersprings,starboard running boards LineX
ronnilu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2006, 02:11 AM   #15
Glenn and Lorraine
Montana Master

M.O.C. #420
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by ronnilu

Richfaa, a properly functioning black tank monitor is a sign of a sick mind and is almost close to bragging. Makes me feel like somehow my rig isn't as good as it should be? mike
Trust me mike, if Rich's rig is an RV he won't be braggin long. Them gages will get fouled up sooner or later.
Old 08-05-2006, 02:18 AM   #16
CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #191
Ronnilu,

I really think you are pulling my chain, ha ha ah ha ha, but in case, you are really serious???

Well, gently used, hmmmmmm, well, you guys don't have to use paper for certain body functions, but us gals do. The paper us gals have to use for that certain function is gently used.

On the color chart, gently used, SNICKER, yellow, other stuff, NOT yellow.

You heard the saying, don't eat yellow snow (well us of that have lived in the north know it!!!), well, yellow snow and gently used would be the same.

OKKK, now that you have me laughing and falling off the desk chair here, As they say

SNORT!!!

Tooooooo funny!!

Carol
Old 08-05-2006, 05:20 AM   #17
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
We also buy TP at the grocery store. Septic friendly. Currently we're using Quilted Northern. But all paper goes down the toilet on ours. As someone else says, lots of water is the important thing. I tend to hold back on water to make the tank fill up more slowly but that's not a good idea. More water.

See another Montana or Mountaineer on the road? Flash lights twice, it might be one of us!
Steve Reigle (pronounced Regal)
Fulltiming since 3/21/03
'03 3295RK
'05 Ford F250 SD Lariat CC SB 6.0L PSD/TS FX4 4x4

Our RV Travels (now Firefox-compatible)

sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2006, 07:26 AM   #18
Glenn and Lorraine
Montana Master

M.O.C. #420
I have no idea what a lot of water would be. When we use the John we flush until all waste has gone down the hole and that includes all TP. Whether that is a lot or a little I have no idea. However, I do know that in nearly 3 years of Full Timing with the same Monty I have NEVER had any problems with odors or dumping.
Old 08-05-2006, 08:44 AM   #19
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
I wish my gauges would hurry up and malfunction so I can be part of the gang

Mor-Ryde Pin Box

Old 08-16-2006, 05:18 PM   #20
Okie Guy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6054
My dealer told me put 1/3 tank of water in the tank when you head home. Stop and get 4 bags of ice and drop into the stool. He said by the time you get home it will have shaken any solids off of the sensors and you will get an accurate reading. I plan to try this next week. My tank always reads empty.
Has anyone else tried this already? If so does it really work or is the dealer yanking my chain?

Okie Cowboy Guy

http://i1.tinypic.com/23k9b4g.jpg
Okie Guy is offline   Reply With Quote