Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > HAVE MOC WILL TRAVEL > Navigation
Click Here to Login

Old 10-30-2014, 05:35 AM   #1
Charli
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #14048
Toll roads

We are heading south on Nov 7 and our route will take us through Kansas on I35 from Topeka to Wichita and south to Oklahoma City. The Kansas portion of that route is a toll road and I've never driven on a toll road (have led a sheltered life). I would like some clarification on how these work. From the research I have done it seems that when I get on the toll road there will be booths that I drive thru and get a ticket. When I exit the toll road (Ks - Ok border) I put the ticket in a machine and it tells me how much I owe, much like exiting a parking garage, which I have done before,.#128516;. I have checked online and based on 2 different apps this route will cost me anywhere from $8-20.
Is this in fact how a toll road operates?
When I pay do I need correct change or, if not manned by a live person, can I slip a $20 bill in a machine and get change or can I use a Visa card?
What happens when I have to pull off the road to fill up with fuel? Do I have to pay each time I exit?
Thanks

Charli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2014, 05:55 AM   #2
pineranch
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9765
Tolls on I-70 and I-44 are easy. No stopping for a ticket on either. At the exit you will be billed by axles. i would think I-35 would be the same. A $20 bill should cover you. Saw alot of exact change signs on early exits. Most toll roads are short distances so fuel should not be a concern unless you schedule your fuel stops wrong.
Mike
pineranch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2014, 06:07 AM   #3
BB_TX
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6433
I believe there are a number of service areas along that road where you can get fuel and fast food without actually leaving the toll road. Check their web site, there should be a map.
BB_TX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2014, 09:32 AM   #4
jimcol
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7992
Send a message via AIM to jimcol Send a message via MSN to jimcol
Charli. This website should provide you everything you need to know. http://www.ksturnpike.com/ It also provides a toll calculator. You will need to take a ticket getting on and stop to pay on exit. I think what Pinebranch is talking about without stopping is if you use a K-Tag. It's really easy, plenty of services, great signage at entrance an exits to direct you. Jim
Old 10-30-2014, 01:23 PM   #5
mlh
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2283
When I was in the service stationed at Fort Dix Nj the guys would tell me how to get somewhere by taking the freeway. I thought a freeway was just a big road. I thought Roanoke Va was a big dirty city until I got to New York. You think you live a sheltered life.
Us country hicks convinced the city boys we had a breed of cattle down here that had legs on one side longer than the other for getting around these mountains. Maybe I wasn't the only one that lived a sheltered life.
Lynwood
mlh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2014, 05:56 PM   #6
Art-n-Marge
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9257
Send a message via MSN to Art-n-Marge Send a message via Yahoo to Art-n-Marge
I hope I remember what jimcol is talking about, that I-44 has refueling stops off the toll road so you don't leave the road system to take a break or make a stop. You take the exit, refuel (or restroom, or other services), then you merge back onto the toll road. Unfortunately, I do not remember the actual toll process (cash?, credit?, ticket?) but it was not difficult and I remember making sure I had lots of bills and change and a credit card to handle whatever it was. I did enjoy that it was cheap compared to the toll roads in California, where I've seen it cost over $4 for an 8 mile stretch.

I will point out that I recall the RUSH traveling the hundreds of miles of I-44. There is no lane control (so it seems). Semis and all vehicles seem to drive 80 to 85 mph. Since I was not towing (was using my pickup to move my brother from Maryland to CA - empty eastbound and carrying all his goods westbound) I drove about 80 and was constantly being passed by EVERYTHING. Thankfully, the only things I passed were trailers trying to stay in the 65mph range or old beater cars that couldn't go very fast. There were a few recreational trailers passing me up, but it was rare. It just seemed scary to me.

Really, mlh? That cattle does not exist? BTW, it's called a freeway for two reasons - free of charge to travel on, and free of impeding cross traffic. Otherwise, they're toll roads or highways, as it was explained to me long ago.
Art-n-Marge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2014, 05:50 AM   #7
Charli
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #14048
Thanks all. It seems like I should be able to cope. I'll just have a pocket full of bills and change. Also have a US$ Visa as an option. Good to know about the service centres as the gas tank on the ford is kind of small - 26 gal. What were they thinking!
Guess I won't have to worry about my brakes overheating. I'll only be going about 60mph so I will be the turtle on the road.
Charli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2014, 07:54 AM   #8
DQDick
Site Team

M.O.C. #11455
In Kansas, food and fuel will be available as you go along. At the larger turnpike exits you can actually talk to a real person, at the small exits you will deal with a machine, but it will even take credit cards. In Oklahoma it's different. On I-44 the new rest area's are still under construction and the old ones are a pita. You must have cash at the toll booths and exact change for the unmanned ones and the cost to go from the eastern part to I-40 west is enough that you may need a home equity loan.
DQDick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2014, 11:14 AM   #9
JandC
Montana Master

M.O.C. #13272
And just because you are paying cash for the HONOR or traveling those toll roads don't think for a minute they are going to always be good smooth pavement!
Old 10-31-2014, 12:40 PM   #10
jpkelpe
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2780
When you go thru the toll plazas If you use the lane on the far right they are usually a bit wider. By the way if you want to back up traffic give those KS boys a $100 bill, they take picture of your liscense plate, etc. Those service plazas on the toll roads are nice but fuel tends to be a little more expensive. We have always used cash and the machines make change for you. Just follow the signs and you will do fine.
jpkelpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2014, 04:20 AM   #11
jimcol
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7992
Send a message via AIM to jimcol Send a message via MSN to jimcol
I think you will find the Kansas Turnpike very well maintained. Can't say that for many of the other toll roads I have paid for the privledge to drive on. Jim
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by JandC

And just because you are paying cash for the HONOR or traveling those toll roads don't think for a minute they are going to always be good smooth pavement!
Old 11-01-2014, 04:21 AM   #12
stengels
Montana Master

M.O.C. #14162
Send a message via AIM to stengels
Actually, gas on the KS turnpike is as cheap, or a little cheaper than is you get off and wander around. The last stop at the KS/OK line will have full time attendants.
Old 11-01-2014, 05:35 AM   #13
okierver
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #11127
traveld several times from tulsa to south dakota. via. toll road from oklahoma thru kansas. havnt gone the topeka route but the route from wichita thru oklahmoa will be fine get your ticket at the booth and pay the attendant at the oklahoma /kansas border. from there there is plenty of fuel stops right on the road and easy on off the rest of the way down 1-35 to kolahom city ahouldnt b a toll road hope your travels are fun and safe/
okierver is offline   Reply With Quote