Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Tow Vehicles & Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 07-21-2011, 09:01 AM   #21
CamillaMichael
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10246
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by daneboy

C/M,
It isn't uncommon for manufacters to go past the warranty date when requested. I asked for half of the cost of repair even though it was over the time period. Because it was under the warranty milage. A friend of mine has a Dodge one ton, the transmission went out and Dodge paid half of the repairs, even though he was over the time & milage. That's a good way to keep a customer.
Good info! Thanks.

CamillaMichael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2011, 06:59 AM   #22
Bruce.B
Established Member

M.O.C. #9794
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Bill-N-Donna

I had to change 2 injectors last winter and ever since then it has been running great. I also changed the fuel filters and they were pretty bad. That was the second time I’ve changed them. I plan to start changing them about every other oil change. I’m not certain but I believe with clean filters, the injectors may hold up better.

At 36,000 miles I had an injector go, just 1,500 miles after we bought our 6.4L F-350. I had a lot of experience with marine diesels but none with car or truck diesels, so to me it appeared to be a shudder in the automatic transmission in 3rd gear. Diagnostics said otherwise. A local independent mechanic in Santa Fe sent me to Bob Turner Ford in Albuquerque (I feel obliged to mention a dealer who looks out for the owner). They took care of things without hesitation (maintenance records on line & in the manual by independent mechanics), even hounding Ford to get the approval. Not that it matters, but the dealer said the failure in the injector was electrical.

We've added another 30,000 on the odometer without any further issue. But we did start using full synthetic (AMSOIL but they're probably all good) as well as an additive with each fill-up. And we change fuel filters more frequently than Ford recommends though that can be a problem if the service folks don't know how to bleed the system properly. We also try to stick to high-volume fuel dealers, but that's not always easy when you spend time away from the Interstates.

So we feel OK about how the truck has done so far. But with all I've read I keep waiting for the other shoe to fall!
Bruce.B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2011, 03:31 AM   #23
Cyrus
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6535
My first major problem came on this camping trip. Started smoking and local Ford dealer said it would be a month before he could get to it. Lucky for us that even though we are 400 miles from home we are near my wifes home town with family and frends who also happen to have a Big Truck Diesel shop 3 miles from from the campground. Fixed the truck and from what I can tell, less the half of what a Ford dealer would have charged. Since there was a weekend involved it took longer. Diognosed problem, pulled it down, ordered the part and back on line in two days not including weekend. Life is good.

My truck had been using some water for a long time, maybe years, but dealer implied this was normal. First time I have seen the water staying at the full level, no dampnest arouund pressure cap, which was also replaced.

I think I need to look for a new shop to have my turck serviced when we return home.
Cyrus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2011, 08:01 AM   #24
PSFORD99
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9051
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by rotti

Thank God I have two 7.3's, one 3/4 ton and one 1 ton, and havent have a bit of problems! It sucks that Ford released such trash with the 6.0 and won't stand behind them.. Friends with 7.3 are getting great reliability and life out of theirs. The friends with 6.0's are going crazy. Watch the you tube videos about the 6.0's and the 7.3's differences. The engineers (european) of the 6.0 should be ashamed!

I know of a few with the 6.7 diesel and the are having good results so far..

Good Luck!
I too agree, We met up with friends that we met several years ago, we stay at the same small rv park on the Madison River in Montana for most of the summer. I arrived July 1 he was already here with a new Ford 6.7 sitting next to his fifth wheel, the story 200 miles from home his 6.0 quit, oil mixed with coolant . Don't remember what the cost was going to be to fix , but he did not want anymore hassle with it, and traded it at the Ford dealership he had it towed to, and continued on his trip up here. It was a 2005 6.0 with 85K on it. All to common of a story on the 6.0. Probably a good idea not to buy a used one. The one he traded was repaired ,and sitting on the lot waiting for the next owner to have problems.
PSFORD99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2011, 01:20 PM   #25
Clemson1881
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9432
I'm not a hardcore GM guy. But we have bought GM for the last 7 vehicles. One reason is the dealer we buy from. Totally awesome in service and concern after the sale. I have had some mechanical breaks like all brands over the years. GM has taken care of the repairs on several occasions outside of the warranties. I know if you like Ford you like Ford. But I can say with high confidence GM would have provided the parts and asked you to pay labor at the very least being long on time and under the miles. GM has its issues, but they have been good to us.
Clemson1881 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2011, 05:16 PM   #26
Carl n Susan
Site Team

M.O.C. #4831
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Clemson1881
... But I can say with high confidence GM would have provided the parts and asked you to pay labor at the very least being long on time and under the miles.
There is a very frequent poster here with a 2003 Chevy Duramax, over time but well under mileage, who just was hit by the infamous Chevy injector failure. All of them were replaced and he tried and tried for some assistance. He got zero, zilch, nada! He is so furious he is dumping the Chevy to buy another brand.

So it isn't just one manufacturer sticking to the terms of their warranty.

Carl n Susan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2011, 05:45 PM   #27
Clemson1881
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9432
Who replaced the injectors? In my experience you have to get GM to agree to help before you get the work done. All I can share is my experience, and GM has helped us being over in time and miles in some instances. In all cases we worked through our dealer who let GM know they were dealing with a very loyal customer. And the Duramax injector failures are often caused by customer neglect and/or bad fuel. Although the LB7s are very prone to injector problems anyway.
Clemson1881 is offline   Reply With Quote