Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Sitting around the Campfire
Click Here to Login

Old 01-07-2010, 10:26 AM   #1
RCMP03
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #7063
How to Acquire a Montana

As we enter in to 2010, I can't help but reflect on what led to the purchase of our Mounty three years ago.

One day, about four years ago, I got the bright idea to go look at tent trailers with my 4 cylinder Toyota Pre-runner. A good idea at the time, problem is Sue came with me. Ended up that afternoon with an 18 foot trailer and a Toyota Tundra. That lasted for about six months and then Sue decided we needed a bigger trailer. OK, sounded like a good idea, off to the dealer and back with a 24 foot with one slide-out. Things were going on pretty good for another six months until she decided the truck was too small to continue pulling that trailer. Off to the dealer, back home with a Dodge diesel. You can guess what happened next...the Monty.

Maybe I should have titled this how not to get a Montana??? Three years and absolutely no regrets although there was probably a cheaper way of doing this. Have a heck of a camping year all.

RCMP03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2010, 11:35 AM   #2
PapaBeav
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7487
Sounds like you got there the hard (and expensive ) way. Have a great and safe 2010.
PapaBeav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2010, 02:59 PM   #3
Longwell
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5192
Could I "borrow" your wife? - just for some shopping trips? - honestly!!!
LOL - I hope we don't have to go through all that to get our Montana.
Larry
Longwell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2010, 04:11 PM   #4
8.1al
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1658
We went looking for a motorhome
8.1al is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2010, 05:40 PM   #5
Yamaha_Mama
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #8057
We went looking for a trailer...four times in three years. We're not looking for a long time to come!!! We were happy with our 98 Komfort TT until we saw a 2006 Komfort one month later. We were happy with the '06 Komfort until we saw all those Montanas on the road six months later. We were happy with our 3400 until we saw the 3455 a year later. I am telling you we are happy with our 3455...don't even show me anything new!!!
Yamaha_Mama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2010, 03:01 PM   #6
K&Gs3400RL
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #9671
Like you, we started in 1997 with a Pop- Up pulling it with an 1986 Monte Carlo. We took a trip to San Diego and back, and several trips in the state to State Parks that summer. Then we decided the next spring a Truck was needed so we went down and purchased a Dodge Dakota. That fall we purchased a 19 ft Terry trailer and used it the next summer. Again we thought bigger truck so we bought a Silverado 1500 which in turn made us think we needed a 20 ft Prowler 5th wheel. Then realized it was to small so we bought a 24 ft Cougar 245EFS 5th wheel. Well to make this short we had two more Cougars, a 278EFS and a 292RKS and two other trucks before we ended up with what we have now. And yes we were happy with each one, and no we were'nt going to look for another one but, well aaaa stuff happens. And we're not going to another RV show, honest.
K&Gs3400RL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2010, 11:54 AM   #7
RCMP03
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #7063
I think we are ok now, I am down to looking at new models of the Montana only twice a month.
Old 01-22-2010, 03:18 PM   #8
CasaDelSol
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8563
Oct 2005 bought our 1st fifth wheel, a 27 ft Keystone Hornet with 1 slide. We had a Ram 1500. Jan 2006 upgraded to a 2006 Dodge Ram 2500 diesel. I got slide envy and in April 2006 bought our current 2006 Monty 2955. Yes, we would love to have the new 3615 but can't afford to take anymore hits on depreciation without major justification. We took the hit on trading the hornet for the 2955 but the truck was a good investment.
CasaDelSol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2010, 05:10 PM   #9
K&Gs3400RL
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #9671
I think were just nuts, But I can say for sure we are done. For now : )
K&Gs3400RL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2010, 08:34 PM   #10
Art-n-Marge
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9257
Send a message via MSN to Art-n-Marge Send a message via Yahoo to Art-n-Marge
LOL RCMP03, In the U.S. we buy a Monty, I guess in Canada you buy a Mounty. Just having fun with your typo in the first line.

See what happens with DW does the shopping? She'll buy 6 things to get what she eventually wants. It has no bearing on how MUCH you spend, just how MANY TIMES you spend - quantity counts.
Art-n-Marge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2010, 03:02 AM   #11
ChuckD
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #7916
Send a message via Yahoo to ChuckD
Okay lets see how this went....We bought a 17' Nomand from the neighbor, fixed it all up real nice. Then we got the first of the Bush Stimulas Checks in the mail, We went shopping, saw a dealer holding an open house with free hot dogs. We bought a 22 ft Wildwood LE (expensive free hot dog). After 8 months we went back to the dealer "to look", brought home a 27ft Wildwood Front Kitchen, 1 year later we went to the Dealer for a free hot dog (hot Dogs are not good for you) bought a 27 ft Sandpiper 2 door, Wife began to hate it in about 1 month, But I held firm and waited about 2 yrs before I REALLY hated it. Then one day we went to Camping World for some hitch parts, saw the Monty (we only had a Chevy 1500 pickup) we both loved it and we bought it. Opps no TV to pull it with , so to the Chevy dealer we went and bought a 2500 diesel......Thats been almost 3 years...We are broke, but very happy campers. I retire in 208 days so I need to be careful about going out for Hot Dogs..Chuck
ChuckD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2010, 03:51 AM   #12
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Tent, pop-up, Hi-low, TT,TT, Montana..that's all folks...
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2010, 04:19 AM   #13
Emmel
Montana Master

M.O.C. #808
We started back in 1970 camping in tents, then popups and a tt. Sold tt when there was a death in the family and no time for camping, that was 1980 spring. Started tent camping in 1982 til we bought a new popup in '95. Bought a nice Wilderness tt in 96 and our first Montana in 2001. New truck in 02 so we bought a 3280 in 03 and was very happy with it til dw went into the 3455SA last year at Tampa. Now proud owners of a 2010 3455SA, planning(?) on keeping this one for a loooooooong time!
By the way, when we started to look at 5ers, we liked the Cardinal until we stepped into a Montana at the rv show. That was when we actually got the WOW factor and decided the Montana was for us, haven't looked back since It wasn't until later that we found the MOC and realized the Keystone factory service was probably the best out there!
This last summer, a man camped next to us was a salesman for an SOB and he told me he heard it at least once a week from potential buyers, "Just how do these SOB 5ers compare to a Montana?"
I think that just about says it all!
Emmel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2010, 06:45 AM   #14
pbahlin
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9380
OK then, here ya go....we rented a motor home for week's vacation and wanted a grill to take on vacation with us....well my DH couldn't find a grill he liked at the usual places...so suggested we go look at the nearby RV dealer (not rental place!) and we left there with a 2008 leftover Big Sky .... still no grill....ended up at Dick's with the grill we first looked at!!!!!! Went on vacation and returned to take delivery of the 5er at the campground as we had no TV.

We haved named the 5er "Bonzer Barbie".....for the largest bbq !!!!

We used the 5er every weekend til the campground closed mid October..... We finally got a TV; bought a 2010 Dodge 3500 Dually which is in production and we just learned we will probably take delivery on it in two weeks or so...the story on the TV is payment is probably going to end up larger than our existing mortgage payment.

Now we have to prepare the SH for sale and hope to be on the road with all you MOC'ers in the fall. Nice to know we aren't the only ones with funny stories of how they ended up with a Monty!

Betty and Paul
pbahlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2010, 09:15 AM   #15
RCMP03
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #7063
Gee, hot dogs must be part of the equation in purchasing a monty, think that's what sold us! Having read the threads, I feel a lot better. Even though we made the purchases stupidly, I find comfort in knowing that there are people out there just as ....
Old 01-26-2010, 10:00 AM   #16
exav8tr
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6333
We got the urge to leave Alaska so we rented a 32ft Class C and went to Fairbanks in it. Decided we could not live in something that small, got back to Anchorage and started looking at 5th wheels. Saw the Montana and bought it that day. That was in August '06. Dealer stored it for us until May '07 when we picked it up, stayed in it about three weeks while still in Alaska, sold the house, hit the road and been there every since. This will probably be our only 5th wheel, I wonder how many others have said that....Anyway, that's my story and I'm sticking to it!!!!!!
exav8tr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2010, 03:26 PM   #17
bncinwv
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6846
Many different tents for about 14 years that ended with a three room with airbeds, etc., two years with a Puma 30' TT with one slide, and now the 3400RL going into its fourth year. We are very pleased to date, we did have a little bit of Big Sky temptation, but are very satisfied with what we have. With all the never-ending mods thanks in large part to regular perusing of this forum, it gets more and more difficult to even think about trading, even though DW always hints.
Bingo

Bingo and Cathy - Our adventures begin in the hills of WV. We are blessed by our 2014 3850FL Big Sky (previous 2011 3750FL and 2007 3400RL) that we pull with a 2007 Chevy Silverado Classic DRW CC dually.
bncinwv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2010, 04:40 AM   #18
skypilot
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1846
Wife never 'camped' before -- For her roughing it is still Motel 6 or Holiday Inn Express. Regardless, I spent too much time sleeping in GP Tiny's and smalls (in other words, army tents) and had no desire to do anymore camping in anything with canvas. So, when I changed careers from the Army, we looked at several RVs and bought a Cougar. Used it a few times but wife always hit her head on the cabinets above the headboard so on our way back from a trip to Mt Rushmore we stopped at our local dealer and traded up to a Mountaineer. Had it a couple of years and wife saw a SOB at a KC RV show. Several months later we were visiting her family in Albuquerque and she saw the SOB dealer on Central Ave, asked me to stop. We did, saw several but I liked the Montana 3400RL, so did my wife I thought. Regardless, on the way back we stopped by our local dealer again and I started working on a deal for the Montana. Later that week I got a call from the sales droid in Albuquerque asking when the wife and I were coming back with our Mountaineer.. Puzzled I asked why and he told me that the wife had called him and purchased the SOB. I called her and got the "Oh, I forgot to tell you I called him and said we'd take the one I [she] liked!" Needless to say, if the wife is happy, I'm happy so we ended up in our SOB.

By the way, thanks for letting me stay on this forum -- still one of the greatest around!!
skypilot is offline   Reply With Quote