Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Full Timing in your Montana
Click Here to Login

Old 07-17-2007, 04:14 PM   #1
russd
Established Member

M.O.C. #6222
fresh water tank

how do you fulltimers keep your fresh water tank from smelling or growing mold?? what if your boondocking for a while?? thanks for your ideas.

russd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2007, 04:44 PM   #2
ols1932
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1944
Ours has never smelled or had any distaste, mold, algae, or whatever in the seven years we've been full timing. We do use a product called Purogene which we add one ounce to a tank full of water every time we refill. This helps keep any bacteria down. If your rig sets in storage with water in the tank, it will be a problem. That's why we recommend completely draining the fresh water tank if the rig is going to be stored for any length of time.

When we boondock, we are using most of the water so when we refill we are putting in almost a full tank. Additionally, all the water that goes into the tank is dual filtered.

Hope this helps some.

Orv
ols1932 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2007, 06:04 PM   #3
stiles watson
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2059
I have added an elbow, an extension, and a ball valve to my low point drain so that I can easily drain the fresh water tank. We use it up to less than 1/3 full and then drain it if we won't be using it for a while because we are on city water. I put about 10 gallons in it for travel which takes care of those "I gotta go NOW" issues. Otherwise I keep it drained.

When I do fill it, I use pretty much the same protocol as ols, i.e., filtered water and treatment.
stiles watson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2007, 04:35 AM   #4
capn chris
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2586
Send a message via AIM to capn chris Send a message via Yahoo to capn chris
Posted earlier, you can "shock/sanitize" the fresh wtaer system seasonally or periodically w/chlorine/bleach. Drain the tank, heater, and lines. Mix bleach w/ water and add to the tank (1/4 per 15 gal or about 3/4-1 c for 50 gal. tank. Fill the tank. Run the pump and open one faucet at a time til water smells like bleach. After that, let stand for 3 hrs. or overnight. Drain the whole sytem, and fill again. Run all faucets. Drain tank and water heater. Refill w/fresh water. Voila. Smells etc. are gone and system is good to go again. Do mine at begining of each season, or if it sits for awhile w/water in the tank. Try not to let that happen. Good luck.
capn chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2007, 06:33 AM   #5
simonsrf
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3120
russd,

All of these ideas are excellent, and as fulltimers, we pretty much do them all. It just depends on the situation. We always carry 10 gallons or so for the must have water in the fresh water tank, and usually try to keep the tank full when we leave a commercial campground.

We triple filter the drinking water, and single filter everything else.

We don't have a schedule, but we also use bleach to clean the system. No smells or problems yet.
simonsrf is offline   Reply With Quote