Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Montana Problems, Problem Solving & Technical Help
Click Here to Login

Old 12-10-2023, 11:41 AM   #1
Turd Furgeson
Established Member

M.O.C. #30242
gas strut/spring screws loosening

the screws attaching the ball joint plate to the compartment door have stripped and loosened with use. they are close to wanting to pull out of the door. considering epoxy in holes and another try. any suggestions to reinforce or better attach these plates?

Turd Furgeson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2023, 11:46 AM   #2
mlh
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2283
That is exactly what I would do. Get some 15 or longer setting epoxy put it in the holes and coat the metal bracket and the wood. You should be good to go.
Lynwood
mlh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2023, 12:00 PM   #3
Carl n Susan
Site Team

M.O.C. #4831
This used to be a common problem. It really helps if you tell us the year and model of your Montana. Adding that info to your signature ensures if is there on every Post you make.

Anyway, here are a few links to some of the previous discussions of the problem and suggested repairs.
https://www.montanaowners.com/forums/showthread.php?t=53955//www.montanaowners.com/forums/showthread.php?t=68993
https://www.montanaowners.com/forums...ad.php?t=68656
https://www.montanaowners.com/forums...ad.php?t=66050
https://www.montanaowners.com/forums...d.php?p=462407
https://www.montanaowners.com/forums....php?p=1064143

Carl n Susan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2023, 12:21 PM   #4
Turd Furgeson
Established Member

M.O.C. #30242
thanx carl.
the links provided the information i need and will persue.
you are the best, next to darlyes.

don't know about this signature stuff..analog guy in a digital world.
signed

tUrd
lol
Turd Furgeson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2023, 12:43 PM   #5
Rotnjonny
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #32150
You may also consider JB Weld. It is an epoxy type product but hardens to a strength that can actually be machined
Rotnjonny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2023, 12:43 PM   #6
DutchmenSport
Montana Master

M.O.C. #22835
Nope.... won't work.... the screws will pull right out again and cause even more damage, breaking the particle board with it. The outside material is just a very thin fiberglass material. Inside is particle board. The fiberglass is glued to the particle board.

I tried the same thing and the particle board finally gave way, and broke out taking the fiberglass surface with it. My baggage door had 2 struts, so it was still functional.

After limping the thing through a few weeks, I finally devised the best way to fix the mess.

First, I got a sheet of steel and cut it to fit bigger than the broken out particle board. I used the original part from the gas strut that attaches to the door as a template and marked to drill holes holes later. I ended up replacing 6 small screws for 4 bolts. Getting the strut attachment in the right position again was the hardest part. But I did. Then marked with a marker exactly where the strut attachment would be positioned.

I then drilled small pilot holes for new self-tapping screws. I did not drill the holes for the strut support with the little round knob yet.

Once all the holes were drilled, I ground the edges so they would not be sharp and then painted the metal black with Rust-o-lium Professional.

When the paint dried, I used Liquid Nails to initially attach the metal sheet to the wall of the door, for 2 reasons.

First was to hold the metal in place, because I had no helper to hold it while I worked with it. Second, to seal it so it would never get water intrusion between the metal and the fiberglass. Remember, the inside of my door busted out completely taking out about half the thickness of the pressed particle board with it. (Remember, first attempt did not work by filing the holes).

I then used the outside edge pilot holes and screwed the metal tight with those self-tapping screws and let the Liquid Nails squirt out under pressure from around the edges, cleaned all that off.

After all the outer edge screws were in place, Liquid Nails cleaned up, I then placed the strut "knob" thing in place and marked the screw holes. I only did 4, not the original 6.

I then used a drill and drilled completely through the door for those 4 holes. I was then able to put the bolts through the holes on the outside of the door and then the metal knob thing, and then the nuts for the bolts. I tightened down all the nuts and DONE!.... well ..... "almost!"

I had to get the strut back on that knob! (alone!). There was no easy way, just brute strength to compress that strut so it would catch. Well, after an hour and exhausted muscles, I finally go it on.

It's worked well ever since!

Oh ... what about the outside where those 4 bolt heads now looked really, really, ugly? Simple, I covered them up. See the photo below. I used double sided molding tape to hold it on.

I REALLY think, the reason the putty in the screw holes worked so well (and yes it it, the particle board stayed attached to the screw when it pulled out the second time) ... the particle board inside got wet at some point and caused it to weaken and crumble. The wood putty in the screw holes bonded quite well, but the surrounding particle board was crumbling. That's the reason the entire thing broke out.

So, my suggestion is ... drill holes, and put a bolt all the way through the door, even if you don't add extra support on the inside with a sheet of metal, or the outside too. You can always cover the heads of the bolts so something looks like it belongs.

Good luck! Happy Camping!
DutchmenSport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2023, 12:45 PM   #7
DutchmenSport
Montana Master

M.O.C. #22835
I just saw post #5. My first attempt "hole filler" was JB Weld. That did not help the weakened particle board around it.
DutchmenSport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2023, 07:55 AM   #8
DebNJim B
Montana Master

M.O.C. #21158
When mine pulled out it took the whole patch of backing board, which I won't call particle board as it's more like pressed cardboard.
I did a repair similar to Dutchmen's only I used elevator bolts and went completely through the doors. I painted the heads to match the exterior color.
Yes, it's not perfect but I don't think it will ever pull out again.

DebNJim B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2023, 08:01 AM   #9
DebNJim B
Montana Master

M.O.C. #21158
Sorry, I guess I didn't wait long enough for the photos to upload the first time.

Click image for larger version

Name:	20210801_115209.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	83.9 KB
ID:	16204

Name:	20210801_114925.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	87.3 KB
ID:	16205

Name:	20210801_115051.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	42.7 KB
ID:	16206

Name:	20210801_154910.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	59.8 KB
ID:	16207

Old 01-02-2024, 01:22 PM   #10
rohrmann
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12947
My repair that I did over ten years ago is still solid. It is in the thread that Carl listed, post #37. https://www.montanaowners.com/forums...ad.php?t=53955
rohrmann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2024, 06:52 AM   #11
DebNJim B
Montana Master

M.O.C. #21158
Quote:
Originally Posted by rohrmann View Post
My repair that I did over ten years ago is still solid. It is in the thread that Carl listed, post #37. https://www.montanaowners.com/forums...ad.php?t=53955
Of all the "fixes", I like yours the best. My problem was that whole section of door blew out all at once. Never noticed any loosening of the screws. I think you are right though regarding the small screws and the reversing of side forces whether the door is open or closed. If I had just the screws come loose I may have done a repair very similar to yours.
This would not be a problem if they would just use a better core material such as plywood in these doors.

Also had a problem with the bed struts. That was simpler, just move the brackets from the very thin panel to the frame material. Why would they continue to screw things to nothing material like wall panels?