Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Tow Vehicles & Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 01-27-2018, 12:45 PM   #21
masterdrago
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20587
Funny story. After we picked up our hitch in Madisonville, with it still in the box in the bed of truck, my Wife by phone negotiated the price from our local dealer down from $69K to $58K. This price turned out to be only 1 grand over the best price we could get 1200 miles away! In 45 minutes we were signing the papers b4 I had even installed the hitch. We parked it in the dealers RV slots for several days to check it out completely. We were able to shuttle back and forth to the house (4 miles) to pick up stuff and install the hitch.

Old 01-27-2018, 12:49 PM   #22
Baldicon
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20906
Quote:
Originally Posted by masterdrago View Post
Baldicon, you cannot go wrong with the RVK3300 by B&W. Ours for our Ram is built really tough and easy to get out and lock down for security.
http://www.bwtrailerhitches.com/prod...ion-ford-pucks
I agree with the B&W, and if I go with an air cushioned pin box, I'll definitely go with it. Trying to decide to go that route or an air (or foam cell) cushioned hitch. It seems that the cushioned hitch works better than the cushioned pin box. Either way, I do want some damping between the trailer and truck.

Thanks
Baldicon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2018, 12:50 PM   #23
Baldicon
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20906
Quote:
Funny story. After we picked up our hitch in Madisonville, with it still in the box in the bed of truck, my Wife by phone negotiated the price from our local dealer down from $69K to $58K. This price turned out to be only 1 grand over the best price we could get 1200 miles away! In 45 minutes we were signing the papers b4 I had even installed the hitch. We parked it in the dealers RV slots for several days to check it out completely. We were able to shuttle back and forth to the house (4 miles) to pick up stuff and install the hitch.
Maybe I can get your wife to call me dealer!
Old 01-27-2018, 01:00 PM   #24
RoadRunnerTR21
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20746
Quote:
Originally Posted by Baldicon View Post
I agree with the B&W, and if I go with an air cushioned pin box, I'll definitely go with it. Trying to decide to go that route or an air (or foam cell) cushioned hitch. It seems that the cushioned hitch works better than the cushioned pin box. Either way, I do want some damping between the trailer and truck.

Thanks
Keep in mind that the 3121RL is not all that heavy. It might not be as big of a deal as you think. I'm sure you and I have a similar pin box. Roto-flex? It is very comfortable pulling this size rig. Our SOB 5th wheel we used to have much much heavier and not nearly as comfortable going down the road.
RoadRunnerTR21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2018, 01:27 PM   #25
masterdrago
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20587
Quote:

Thanks
Both the B&W hitch and the RotoFlex have a pivoting cushion rubber like material in them. If you look closely at the 3121RL hitch You should see the rubber buffer. See pix

On the B&W it has two pivots. One under the cap with the logo and the other running along bed axis (large nut lower left) also the shock in center.
Old 01-27-2018, 02:02 PM   #26
mtlakejim
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20693
Best pic I have seen of a Rotoflex showing the rubber bumper yet! Good stuff.

Our new 5th wheel chucks fairly hard. This is not going to be an option, we have to get one of those cushion pins or the wife has to get a new husband to drive! Don't tell her I said that she will opt for the latter.....
2018 Montana High Country 381TH Garage Full of Toys
mtlakejim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2018, 02:27 PM   #27
Baldicon
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20906
Quote:
Both the B&W hitch and the RotoFlex have a pivoting cushion rubber like material in them. If you look closely at the 3121RL hitch You should see the rubber buffer. See pix

On the B&W it has two pivots. One under the cap with the logo and the other running along bed axis (large nut lower left) also the shock in center.
I know that the RotoFlex head rotates fore/aft, and in conjunction with the Companion hitch head fore/aft rotation will take out a lot of the chucking. But does the RotoFlex provide any up/down damping? I was under the impression that the rubber block absorbed the fore/aft rotation. But I may be wrong (usually am).
Old 01-27-2018, 02:58 PM   #28
Jamesb
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #21011
We just traded trucks and went from a B&W companion to a very expensive Pullrite Super Glide auto slider. Biggest mistake we have ever made. I’m sure everyone will agree that has ever owned a B&W, that you can’t go wrong with the B&W. I would never have anything else.
Jamesb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2018, 05:21 PM   #29
The Landrys
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #21009
Send a message via AIM to The Landrys Send a message via MSN to The Landrys Send a message via Yahoo to The Landrys
We were looking at the Montana 3121RL and the Solitude 310-GK also. We went with the Montana for a few reasons and feel that we made the right choice.
The Landrys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2018, 05:41 PM   #30
Baldicon
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20906
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Landrys View Post
We were looking at the Montana 3121RL and the Solitude 310-GK also. We went with the Montana for a few reasons and feel that we made the right choice.
The Montana is in the lead, and is probably what we will get. Glad you like yours.
Old 01-27-2018, 05:53 PM   #31
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Quote:
So in your opinion it's worth the money? In my case, since I'm starting from scratch, the BD3 will cost me $800 over my other option. Do you have a standard pin box, or one that reduces chucking (MOR/ryde, TrailAir Rotoflex, etc)? Or is one even needed with the BD3?

Thanks
We have the Mor Ryde pin box that was OEM. I suggest you do the homework on the BD 3 as well as any other hitch you may consider.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2018, 06:14 PM   #32
masterdrago
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20587
As to our rig chucking, We have about 600 miles on the pair now. That is over mostly back country state, farm roads and small town main roads. I've only noticed extremely short term "chucking" 4 times. Only lasted a couple of seconds each time. The 1st two were bringing the 5r home from the dealer (~4 miles) over real small hilly, Calvary Rd. - bumpy, county maintained. The 2nd two were on Shephard Hill Rd. - another winding, hilly, poorly maintained rd near our house. This B&W hitch really tight, both in the way it grips and captures the pin. The jaws simply fit the pin very well. There is no vertical shocks or flex that I can tell - nothing in the hitch or pin box to soften that movement - only to soften twisting yaw left/right and pitch forward and back. I can only say as a noob, that I'm extremely pleased after getting advised to look at these hitches.

We thought we were going to keep our '09 F259 SB 4x4. In that case we were most likely to spend the big $$ for the PullRite Superglide with the OE series adapter - over $2K. Not needed for the LB Ram.
Old 01-27-2018, 06:15 PM   #33
Curtis
Established Member

M.O.C. #20703
I have a 2017 F350 srw and bought the 2018 Montana 3121 RL I have the Andersen Ultimate Hitch Love it at only 35 pounds. Rated at 24000 lb.
Curtis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2018, 06:42 PM   #34
Baldicon
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20906
Quote:
Originally Posted by Curtis View Post
I have a 2017 F350 srw and bought the 2018 Montana 3121 RL I have the Andersen Ultimate Hitch Love it at only 35 pounds. Rated at 24000 lb.
I started out thinking I would buy a CCSB and was going with the Anderson. But wound up getting a SCLB, which opens up other options.

Thanks
Old 01-27-2018, 06:47 PM   #35
Baldicon
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20906
Quote:
As to our rig chucking, We have about 600 miles on the pair now. That is over mostly back country state, farm roads and small town main roads. I've only noticed extremely short term "chucking" 4 times. Only lasted a couple of seconds each time. The 1st two were bringing the 5r home from the dealer (~4 miles) over real small hilly, Calvary Rd. - bumpy, county maintained. The 2nd two were on Shephard Hill Rd. - another winding, hilly, poorly maintained rd near our house. This B&W hitch really tight, both in the way it grips and captures the pin. The jaws simply fit the pin very well. There is no vertical shocks or flex that I can tell - nothing in the hitch or pin box to soften that movement - only to soften twisting yaw left/right and pitch forward and back. I can only say as a noob, that I'm extremely pleased after getting advised to look at these hitches.

We thought we were going to keep our '09 F259 SB 4x4. In that case we were most likely to spend the big $$ for the PullRite Superglide with the OE series adapter - over $2K. Not needed for the LB Ram.
I'm not even at the noob stage yet, and have never pulled a 5th wheel. I'm probably over analyzing this, but it's the engineer in me, I can't help myself.
Old 01-27-2018, 08:45 PM   #36
mtlakejim
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20693
Baldicon,
The hitch you choose is a very big deal. Research the heck out of it! Nobody on here is going to put you down for asking questions. And you deserve honest answers from experienced people!
Old 01-27-2018, 08:55 PM   #37
Baldicon
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20906
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtlakejim View Post
Baldicon,
The hitch you choose is a very big deal. Research the heck out of it! Nobody on here is going to put you down for asking questions. And you deserve honest answers from experienced people!
Thanks James, I'm going to quote you to my wife! She usually wants to buy the first thing she sees. So, me being me, drives her nuts.
Old 01-27-2018, 09:01 PM   #38
mtlakejim
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20693
Quote:
Thanks James, I'm going to quote you to my wife! She usually wants to buy the first thing she sees. So, me being me, drives her nuts.
I did that the first time and regretted it all the way till I finally bought a good hitch! Don't go cheap very few things matter more to your ride and safety than a good hitch!
Old 01-28-2018, 05:59 AM   #39
masterdrago
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20587
Quote:
Your Wife and mine should be drinking buddies. Joy is exactly the same - 1st thing works for her. And yea, it drives her nuts how I overthink everything I do.
Took me two years to decide on what pontoon boat I would be happy with. Only took 10 months on the 5r. She had found a Solitude in Mississippi for a good price early on in our search. She was ready to hop in the '09 F250 and drag it back. Had to pull back on her reins to make her realize at 3,000# pin, we would be bumping the axle. Had to convince her the truck upgrade was the 1st step.
Old 01-28-2018, 07:40 AM   #40
Baldicon
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20906
Quote:
Your Wife and mine should be drinking buddies. Joy is exactly the same - 1st thing works for her. And yea, it drives her nuts how I overthink everything I do.
Took me two years to decide on what pontoon boat I would be happy with. Only took 10 months on the 5r. She had found a Solitude in Mississippi for a good price early on in our search. She was ready to hop in the '09 F250 and drag it back. Had to pull back on her reins to make her realize at 3,000# pin, we would be bumping the axle. Had to convince her the truck upgrade was the 1st step.
If we ever run into each other out the in rv land, we have to keep them apart! When we first decided to go the 5th wheel route, she would show me 10 different diesel trucks everyday, and then got upset when I didn't buy one of them. So when I finally decided what I wanted, ordered it, now have it, she actually said that I did good on the truck (rare for her to admit I am right). I did let her pick the color. But now going through same scenario with the 5th wheel.