Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Montana Problems, Problem Solving & Technical Help
Click Here to Login

Old 03-05-2012, 01:19 PM   #1
JNG3455SA
Established Member

M.O.C. #12231
Slider Awnings Adjustment

Hi, I am new to the MOC. Just sold our smaller travel trailer and went for a 3455SA. We learned a lot about RV systems with the old TT, but we now plan on near full timing in the hopefully near future and think this is the bigger (nicer)home for us. Question: Does anyone know how to tighten the awnings over the sliders? Not the ones over the windows, but the ones designed to protect the top of the slides when they are fully extended. The big living room awning sags and holds water when it rains and it seems that you should be able to tighten it up, but don't have any instructions. Hopefully some advice here or I will have to go back to the dealer and sort through the BS.

JNG3455SA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 01:42 PM   #2
bncinwv
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6846
I don't believe there is a settable tension adjustment on the awnings. The bigger slide awnings do pool water and the forum has many posts on various methods (beachballs under it, straps across the top, pvc frames, etc) of keeping the water off. I have never worried about it, retract the slide about halfway and the water rolls off (make sure none is standing near if you adopt this method!). If someone does come up with an adjustment method, they would most likely be viewed as heroes by the MOC.
Bigno

Bingo and Cathy - Our adventures begin in the hills of WV. We are blessed by our 2014 3850FL Big Sky (previous 2011 3750FL and 2007 3400RL) that we pull with a 2007 Chevy Silverado Classic DRW CC dually.
bncinwv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 01:55 PM   #3
JNG3455SA
Established Member

M.O.C. #12231
Go figure. I like the beach ball idea. May try a soccer ball, since the kid are all grown now and I don't need the balls cluttering up my garage anymore. Give those funny balls a whole new purpose in life. Never got used that game, am an American football fan myself. I found out the hard way about the pooling while opening my mid located front door and must have just stressed things enough to start the deluge while entering. It was a particularly grey and cold day and it was a pretty nasty surprise. You just have to learn somethings the hard way. Thanks
Old 03-05-2012, 02:02 PM   #4
bncinwv
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6846
I have always been afraid to use any of those methods because I know I would forget about whatever I chose being there and closing the slide anyway. I could see closing the slide on a beach ball, the ball blowing up and the neighbors wondering what the heck was going on!
Bingo
bncinwv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 02:04 PM   #5
pineranch
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9765
Not sure you will ever get away from the water causing it to sag thing. I just replaced my long slide topper and it is sagging a bit. Here is my plan. Follow the removal instructions on this site.
http://www.rv-motorhome-answers.com/...tallation.html
Before I reinstall the fabric, while Joyce holds the reel, I will remove the cotter pin, (hopefully Joyce is still with me), then rotate the roller tube another flat past the original 12:00 position. Reinstalling the cotter pin and fabric. It's a plan!!!
Mike
pineranch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 02:23 PM   #6
dieselguy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3085
No matter what you'd prefer, the slide topper will sag a bit when it rains and flutter a bit in strong winds. Assuming it is not properly tensioned, there are tightening instructions (turns of the spring) on the manufacturer's websites according to what length of slide topper you have. Just a note of caution about tensioning beyond the manufacturer guidelines ... you run the risk of the topper causing too much tension on the top of the slide causing it to tilt in slightly when fully deployed translating to leaks. As put forth in earlier posts, some use the soccer ball on a tether, some use bungie cords around the entire slide, and others buy the bow system to help support the slide topper fabric.
dieselguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 04:01 PM   #7
JNG3455SA
Established Member

M.O.C. #12231
All good advice. Thanks a bunch. My first inquiry on this forum and I wasn't disappointed. Lot's of good practical advice that even makes sense to me.
Old 03-06-2012, 03:12 AM   #8
1retired06
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12156
As indicated, you can adjust the tightness; takes two people, and strong hands because of spring tension. With the higher inside heights of the slideouts, you can no longer get the drain angles that were possible in the past, and many are almost even front to back. I built a pvc support for my longer slides which helps a lot; if you go that route recommend the support just barely kiss the slider awning, or it will stretch out over time. And remember to remove before closing the slides! I only use mine here in Florida where we sit for five months during the winter. Rest of the time I either close the slide to drain, or get on my trusty ladder and sweep off. If any wind, that will also clear the water off over time.
F350 crew cab dually 6.7
1retired06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 03:24 AM   #9
HOOK
Montana Master

M.O.C. #11401
I just go to rear of long slide and use my broom to pull down on the end edge and water runs off easily. Larry
HOOK is offline   Reply With Quote