Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 09-04-2023, 05:14 PM   #1
rubio171
Established Member

M.O.C. #33123
2919 3811ms bathroom door peeling

So on our mantana, the bathroom door and a couple other spots are peeling. Like the door is laminated with the color print and it is peeling. Any suggestions on repairing this? Is there anywhere to buy some touch up that matches interior color of the laminated areas?

rubio171 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2023, 06:04 PM   #2
rohrmann
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12947
Might be better off to just paint it. You could sand it down and cover it with a real wood vernier and then stain it and clear coat that. Could even have the grand kids do art on it.
rohrmann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2023, 06:49 PM   #3
Daryles
Montana Master

M.O.C. #24086
For the pealing, maybe a good Waterproof glue since it's on the bathroom door (steam, moisture may cause some glues to lift). Apply it with a Q-tip.
For touching up scratches, maybe a Sharpie with matching color.
Daryles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2023, 05:03 AM   #4
Mikendebbie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #21044
The ships door to my half bath and the bedroom door are peeling. I have had limited success using contact cement. One area will stick but other edges come up all the time. Not sure what my long term plan is. Maybe Bob’s suggestion of sanding it down and painting.
Aussie Gus + Texas Heeler Jimmy
Mikendebbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2023, 05:17 AM   #5
Wisconsin Retiree
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #28036
I too, am frustrated with another cheap step in the construction of this trailer. Has anyone actually sanded and painted the door yet? I am curious to see a picture, if available, of the final product before going through the steps.
Old 09-13-2023, 01:13 PM   #6
Rontwila
Established Member

M.O.C. #31477
We have the same problem on several doors. I have used Elmers white glue and bushed it on both sides of the lift. It dries clear and has held well everywheree but the steamy bathroom. This is mostly where hands touch the door as it pivots. I will try to find a glue that would be more water proof for another repair job.
Rontwila is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2023, 03:05 PM   #7
John McLean
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #23622
All the suggestions you are getting in the replies people have posted are just band aids. Why not replace that door with a real, lightweight wood or hollow core door. Will likely have to special order it or perhaps get a local cabinet maker make one for you. Doesn't sound like it is repairable. Just another sorry Keystone product just like the Thomas Payne furniture we have in our 2019 331 RL.
John McLean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2023, 05:06 PM   #8
Byron B
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #18751
I used a toothpick and some Elmers all purpose to repair the bathroom door. Then held it in place with blue painters tape for a couple days. It has actually held up well. Worst (?) thing is that the outside edges have worn and I tried to redo them with a few different sharpies and did not get the color matched at all.
Byron B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2023, 05:08 PM   #9
catch up with the zzzz
Established Member

M.O.C. #23268
hi sorry but I think that is or has happened to all of us. I bought clear plastic corner bead. I used a tooth pick to put wood glue under the peel. Put the corner bead over the inside and outside door edges. a few bard nails will secure it nicely just have to cut out the dood latch.
catch up with the zzzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2023, 05:30 PM   #10
Rod Spohn
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #24052
Quote:
Originally Posted by rubio171 View Post
So on our mantana, the bathroom door and a couple other spots are peeling. Like the door is laminated with the color print and it is peeling. Any suggestions on repairing this? Is there anywhere to buy some touch up that matches interior color of the laminated areas?
I have the same trailer with the same issue. One the sliding door to the bedroom (it was the worst) I finished pealing of a section and took it to Home Depot to get a paint color matched. I think it came out a good match so I pealed off around the edges leaving the inlay section and painted it. I kind of wish I would have peaked off the rest now. That’s a new project for another time.
Anyway, for the other door and a few places in the kitchen that had pealing I used contacts cement. It worked well at least for now - only did the glue about 4 months ago.
If I had known they were going to real wood the next year I’d of waited to buy. After changing out the crappy couch and love seat and adding a bunch of solar we are happy with everything else for the most part.
Good luck with your repair project.
Rod Spohn is offline   Reply With Quote