Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 05-04-2005, 08:43 AM   #1
dcowie
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #3207
Toll booths

Being new and never having traveled a toll road as yet, I have a question regarding toll booths. When traveling toll highways will I be restricted to using the right-most truck-lane booths to pay the toll, or will I be able to zip on thru with my truck and 5th wheel in any lane? I have an EZpass transponder from MA that supposedly allows me to use the transponder to pay the proper toll for the truck & the towed vehicle. With all the travel I have done in my car, I seem to recall seeing travel trailers and the like in the far right lanes.

dcowie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2005, 09:38 AM   #2
carlson
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #3268
Any place that accepts EZ Pass you can use the EZ pass lanes.
It will automatically record both your truck and trailer and charge your account.
Have used it for years, NH is finally going to come on-line sometime.
carlson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2005, 10:15 AM   #3
Glenn and Lorraine
Montana Master

M.O.C. #420
I have the SunPass here in Florida and have been researching the EZPass as well.
The SunPass is only good in Florida.
So far as I can tell the EZPass is only good in the Northeast (PA, NY, NJ, MA, NH, ME, DE, VA, MD, WV).

From the EZ Pass website...
I sometimes pull a camper or trailer with my vehicle. Can I still use my tag?

Glenn and Lorraine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2005, 12:05 PM   #4
harleyrider
Montana Master

M.O.C. #627
As others have said i also have ez-pass.You can just drive threw the ez-pass lane.It will record your truck and trailer.As a matter of fact I just got the ez-pass a couple weeks ago.I love the fact I don`t have to lean out the truck to pick up a ticket.
harleyrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2005, 01:18 PM   #5
kdeiss
Montana Master

M.O.C. #164
Just register your Monty and Truck with EZ Pass and you are good to go.Just takes a phone call,use the net or send in the form.
kdeiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2005, 02:52 PM   #6
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
When you are somewhere that the ezpass doesn't apply, you'll find it varies as to whether you can use any lane or are restricted to certain lanes. If restricted, it will be well marked. If not marked, I assume I can use any lane so pick the shortest. I tend to favor the lanes in the right half so I start out in the right lanes when leaving the booth and don't have to worry too much about merging that monster back to the right with all the racehorses coming out of the tollbooths jockeying for space. Also, you'll find some tollbooths a tad tight in the width department so watch out for those mirrors!

When we had a stick home in Kansas we had the electronic Ktag for the Kansas Turnpike, similar to the ezpass. It electronically counted axles as you passed through and charged you accordingly. Sometimes I'd get our statement and find it had missed an axle. That was especially nice back when we towed a bassboat behind a (non-Montana) fiver. If they counted all axles we then paid the same as a semi would pay so it was welcome to see they missed one.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2005, 04:13 PM   #7
DrivesBGM
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3
My most horrifying experience with tool booths happended this past January when we went to Disney World. To get to Fort Wilderness, you have to pass through the toll plaza for Magic Kingdom Parking. Well, the toll plaza is just barely wide enough to get the dually and 5er through without hitting anything. I managed to get through but did scrape the tires a bit on the right side.

Unfortunately, out of ignorance, I missed the turn into Fort Wilderness and ended up having to exit the park and reenter through tht same toll plaza. Durn if this second time I didn't scrape the tires on the other side. I couldn't believe that the toll taker didn't advise me to take an immediate right turn after leaving the toll plaza the first time!

Later I found that there is another way to get into the campground wihtout going through the toll plaza. Live and learn!

Craig
DrivesBGM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2005, 12:19 PM   #8
dcowie
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #3207
Thanks for the replies. Guess there is no replacement for EXPERIENCE on the road. I feel more comfortable now hitting the road, and hopefully won't be taking out toll booths due to lack of knowledge. Thanks.
dcowie is offline   Reply With Quote