Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Additions & Improvements
Click Here to Login

Old 05-13-2019, 06:30 PM   #1
Mommasharon63

M.O.C. #23422
380 Toyhauler door

Hope I am doing this right! I purchased my toyhauler almost a year ago. I have a new 2019 street glide. I am single so it's just me loading and unloading my bike..and it freaks me out. I've only done it twice now but this last time I couldn't get traction on the door (covered in what seems like sandpaper) and I lost it, my bike fell over and pretty much crushed the front fender but at least it DIDN"T fall off the door. Any suggestions as to what I can put down or an safer easier way to load and unload? TIA

Mommasharon63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2019, 07:22 PM   #2
Renegade1LI
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #22165
one issue is the floor of the garage is high & makes for a steep angle, when I load a bike I raise the front of the camper up to lessen it a bit. It really does help to have a spotter & try to always load or unload when it is dry, that coating gets real slippery. I thought about a rubber mat, but if its not secure it could spin out. I use a front wheel stand & a little momentum, dont stop half way up as you will get high centered & go up & into the stand. If you are using the stand you should make sure it is secured so it doesn't move. What I do is strap it to the tie downs since I don't want anything permanent in the way. It takes some practice & having someone to help is a big plus the first few times.
Renegade1LI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2019, 07:41 PM   #3
mtlakejim
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20693
Renegade is spot on and we do the same. The bottom of the camper is really high in the air for a ramp and the ramp is shorter than normal due to not extending all the way to the top of the roof like conventional toyhaulers. That combination along with the slick surface material is an accident waiting to happen. We haven't dropped the bike yet but you certainly can't put a plastic box on the surface it's like an ice rink!

You would think by now maybe Keystone would correct the issue if for no other reason than someone will likely eventually sue them when they get hurt as a result of the terrible design. At the very least come up with a better cover material for that ramp!!!
2018 Montana High Country 381TH Garage Full of Toys
mtlakejim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2019, 07:41 PM   #4
TennTom
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #22087
Never had any issues riding my lectra glide in and out, I have it hooked up to the TV. I have a front wheel stand that has four holes for bolting it down. I used four 5/16-18 wood inserts from Lowes so I can remove the bolts and stand when not needed. Very secure. Remember, you don't have to go fast but you can't stop when going up.
Old 05-14-2019, 09:21 PM   #5
CaptnJohn
Montana Master

M.O.C. #19865
A non-scid paint is available. The same can be done by spreading sand on wet paint. Nota cure all on a ramp like on flat surfaces but helps.
CaptnJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2019, 10:00 PM   #6
mtlakejim
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20693
Another option several of us have talked about and some have installed is a winch. It sounds silly but if the bike can't roll backwards and you have a cable pulling it in slowly it is fairly easy to control. Actually the winch idea was for other toys but it would work for a motorcycle too. Granted a bit sissy looking but hey at least the bike isn't dinged up......
2018 Montana High Country 381TH Garage Full of Toys
mtlakejim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2019, 10:17 AM   #7
Mommasharon63

M.O.C. #23422
I would love a winch. Any idea where to get one?
Old 05-15-2019, 10:18 AM   #8
Mommasharon63

M.O.C. #23422
How far up is safe to raise the front?
Old 05-15-2019, 10:35 AM   #9
waynemoore
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10552
For the winch Harbor Freight.
Add 40 GAL tank in bed.
waynemoore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2019, 11:36 AM   #10
Bigrig
Established Member

M.O.C. #21926
I do not have a toyhauler myself but yesterday, I saw a guy unload, by himself, his bike from the back of a pickup. Two factors struck me as his feet while on the bike could touch the ramp and bed of the truck and both hands on the handlebars at all times for balance. Ramps where pinned so that is done with a toyhauler door.

The other factor was the winch mounted on the front of the bed in the pickup on a special fabricated bracket. His wife controlled the pigtail to the winch and without starting the bike, slowly unloaded the bike without a waiver with the conclusion that he had done it many times before.

Can't wait to see it load. Think snowmobile winch, ATV winch, 1000lbs capacity. I would not think remote control winch would work as well as you cannot keep both hands on the bars. Mounting the winch high would pull better than mounted low as his connection on the bike was somewhere near his headlight.

Just a thought.
Bigrig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2019, 04:02 PM   #11
Renegade1LI
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #22165
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigrig View Post
I do not have a toyhauler myself but yesterday, I saw a guy unload, by himself, his bike from the back of a pickup. Two factors struck me as his feet while on the bike could touch the ramp and bed of the truck and both hands on the handlebars at all times for balance. Ramps where pinned so that is done with a toyhauler door.

The other factor was the winch mounted on the front of the bed in the pickup on a special fabricated bracket. His wife controlled the pigtail to the winch and without starting the bike, slowly unloaded the bike without a waiver with the conclusion that he had done it many times before.

Can't wait to see it load. Think snowmobile winch, ATV winch, 1000lbs capacity. I would not think remote control winch would work as well as you cannot keep both hands on the bars. Mounting the winch high would pull better than mounted low as his connection on the bike was somewhere near his headlight.

Just a thought.
Using a winch with a 2 wheeler is a safe way to load, just need a little planning & thought as the hight is important & also make sure to pull on the frame or triple tree, not the bars or forks. I would use a winch with a remote & mount it so you can operate it with your thumb just to the left of the throttle. There are a bunch of utube videos for some ideas. I would set up a wheel chock with a roller mounted in front of the winch, about 18" high & you could pull the bike right into the chock. Getting out of the chock can be tricky with a heavy bike if you do not have enough strength to back it out flat foot, you could mount a couple of angled wood blocks cut from a 6 x 6 so you could push back on a better angle. A while back there was a cargo buddy winch system for trucks & trailers, not sure if its still around but a little searching might turn one up. good luck.
Renegade1LI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2019, 04:09 PM   #12
Otter

M.O.C. #23782
I load a Road Glide Ultra in a 381TH. Three challenges for me, the garage is short, the opening is not as wide as a reqular TH, and I'm very short legged. I purchased a Condor Motorcycle Loader (Amazon $360.00) and a Champion winch with a wireless remote (also Amazon $149.00). Now I safely load and unload without any need for help. I installed two heavy d-rings at the front of the garage and I hook the winch to them. That way I can remove the winch when not needed. Works like a charm!
Otter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2019, 07:02 AM   #13
kescue
Established Member

M.O.C. #20145
I have 381TH and Harley Ultra. Same as others on this post. I disconnect the unit from truck and raise the front of the unit. I raised the front to the best height that works and then marked the front leg with marker so that each time I do this I have a reference point to know where to stop at for future load and unloads. Raising the front takes the pitch out and makes loading and unloading the bike a breeze. My buddy now does the same on his rig.

Yes can be a pain in some campsites if not a pull thru or something like that. But little more effort is worth it vs dropping the bike.

Just FYI - When unloading bike, put it in gear. Hold in clutch and start to back down ramp. If you don't like something - simply just let the clutch go and the bike will stop. That allows you more control on the bike. Used to have Condor motorcycle ramp in back of truck which had a heck of a long ramp angle!

I also have a condor chock. To keep the front of the bike away from the front wall hang down I cut a number of 2X4's the width of the garage and laid them side by side. Then put Condor chock up against them to keep off wall. Then I strap it down and remember to turn off security! Had Fat Boy Lo prior and learned lesson on that one. Went to Chattanooga and bike got loose. Bike stayed up but handle bar poked hole in garage. I now have a nice Harley Davidson sticker over it and no one knows the better!!

One day going to secure the chock to the floor but that is a future project.

Keith and Jana Escue
2018 Montana 381TH
2016 Ford F350 King Ranch
kescue is offline   Reply With Quote