Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Long Timers
Click Here to Login

Old 05-13-2009, 12:12 PM   #1
cmawendy
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #9222
Direct tv

When setting up our direct tv dish the signal strength will be good in the 90's and then it just goes off. It even does it by itself, it will go on and then off (the signal strength) this has never happened before does anyone have any ideas??

cmawendy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2009, 01:06 PM   #2
Jolu
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7919
I guess it might be worth checking the coax ends first to see if the connectors are on good. Then check the rest of the connections.

Recently I had a coax cable go bad. I think I ran over it or something. It gave me fits for a few days till I figured it out.
Jolu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2009, 01:27 PM   #3
bob n pam
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2121
When that happens to us it is usually a connection problem. Bob uses the push on connectors and they fail regularly. The little pin inside breaks easily.
bob n pam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2009, 01:48 PM   #4
Art-n-Marge
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9257
Send a message via MSN to Art-n-Marge Send a message via Yahoo to Art-n-Marge
I had this problem when I had a piece of cable that was not RG-6. Sometimes it worked and sometimes it didn't. I have removed and cut (on purpose) all these cables and put them in the recyclable cans and I no longer run into this problem being caused for this. BUT, there is only one place I still have a questionable cable and it is the walls of the trailer going from the LR to the BR. I am too lazy and too cheap to replace it, but one of these days.... In this case the BR does not always work as well at the LR, but one of these days it will irritate me enough to replace or bypass it.

Another common problem would be a connector. The biggest problem with quick connects is that the center pin is sometimes too short, and with the nature of these connectors not being as snug you might not get a good connection. I crimped the quick connectors on the outside to improve the tightness of the connection, but that doesn't solve the center pin being too short and making a good connection, or breaking off. I have quick connects here and there but with the problems I have been having with them, I think I will be getting rid of them and taking the time to screw the cables together. That always seems to work better.

There is a third possibility and depends on where the dish is located, so that its aim gets affected by a passing object or something else affecting the aim to the satellite. One time when my satellite "went dark" I found that heavy rain had softened the soil so much that the tripod I used was no longer stable - a stake or water containers to stabilize wouldn't have helped because the weakening was so severe. I have a feeling you've already checked the aim. Fortunately my dish has two LNBs, so when I need to I can use the other LNB to ensure my satellite signal integrity.
Art-n-Marge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2009, 05:43 AM   #5
Cyrus
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6535
I find this happens when you are looking at the wrong satellite, my meter will peg then go to zero then peg again. I have noticed that the antenna has to be set more precise, azmuth & elevation then a year ago. If you are not touching the wires when this is hapening I don't think you have cable problems.

The last time I had problems I had to press the reset button on the box. The antenna was set ok per the meter but no reception. After the reset was complete I had reception.

Hope this helps
Cyrus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2009, 10:11 AM   #6
jjackflash
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7787
Several times I've set my dish to the point I am getting at least a 94 reading but no picture,at that point I hit the reset button on the receiver and wallah!
Jack
jjackflash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2009, 04:23 AM   #7
cmawendy
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #9222
We finally got it to work after about 2 hours. Direct tv was telling us to point it at the wrong satellite
Thanks for all the suggestions.
cmawendy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2009, 04:38 AM   #8
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Use this http://www.directv.com/DTVAPP/customer/dishPointer.jsp
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2009, 06:33 AM   #9
cmawendy
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #9222