Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 04-14-2008, 12:54 PM   #1
crazy bout campin
Established Member

M.O.C. #8401
rear clearance lights

I have recently purchased a 2002 3280RL. The two rear clearance lights on the side and the the two red running lights on the rear are not working, however the front clearance lights are working. Has anyone experienced this problem. What is the fix?

Replaced bulbs first thing. No luck. Thinking maybe a wire has been pinched by a slide mechanism, but I am not sure if this is possible without having a wiring diagram to look at. Is this possible.

crazy bout campin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2008, 12:58 PM   #2
Broome101
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1832
new bulbs more than likely.
Broome101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2008, 01:11 PM   #3
Thunderman
Montana Master

M.O.C. #920
Remove the lens then the bulbs. There is a good chance the bulbs are not making a good contact or they are not grounded.
Good luck!
Thunderman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2008, 02:04 PM   #4
crazy bout campin
Established Member

M.O.C. #8401
Replaced all bulbs first thing. Thinking maybe a slide has pinched a wire. Is that possible. I don't have a wiring diagram available to see where the wires are running.
Old 04-14-2008, 03:00 PM   #5
stiles watson
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2059
Unless your unit is different than most. the clearance lights are not on a slide. Therefore the wires don't run through the slide. There are no wiring diagrams. Keystone doesn't have them. More than likely that wiring was laid in the ceiling before the roof was installed.

Were those lights working before you changed the bulbs? If so, make sure the correct bulb is installed. If no, there is a chance that the plug into your truck may need to be replaced. They do get corroded with time. I had to replace one.

You might try to have a discussion with a service manager at a Montana dealer. Explain the problem and see if he will give you some guidance on chasing the problem down. I have had some success in the past doing that when I owned my first Montana which was preowned.
stiles watson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2008, 03:32 PM   #6
HamRad
Montana Master

M.O.C. #15
As mentioned above one of the most likely causes is that the bulb holder is broken. OR a wire has broken. The wires most likely run in the ceiling then down to the location. There are most likely none in the slides and the chances of a wire being there is low. Good luck. And let us know how the fix goes. We can all learn.

HamRad
HamRad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2008, 03:45 PM   #7
OntMont
Montana Master

M.O.C. #122
Bad grounds are another possible cause. If you can, try checking the grounds, You could try running a known good ground wire directly to the bulb, and see if that makes it light up. That should at least point you a direction. If the ground is at fault, then try cleaning any corroded connections you see. (or just clean them first and see if that corrects the problem.

There are no published wiring diagrams, so you are on your own figuring it out.
OntMont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2008, 04:26 PM   #8
crazy bout campin
Established Member

M.O.C. #8401
Thanks for all of your advice guys. I changed the plug when I changed all of the bulbs. Its dark now so I will start checking grounds in the morning. Any other advice would be appreciated.
Old 04-14-2008, 05:50 PM   #9
HamRad
Montana Master

M.O.C. #15
The ground check will probably answer your problems. At least I hope so. Groundings seem to be a universal problem.

Good luck.

HamRad
HamRad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2008, 08:56 AM   #10
crazy bout campin
Established Member

M.O.C. #8401
Thanks for all of the advice. After removing all of the clearance lights, I discovered that someone had changed one of the rear clearance lights on top of the rear cap. It was different from the rest in the way that the wires connect to it and it was wired in such a manner that the hot and ground wires were always connected causing a dead short. Replaced with original style light. Now have all lights working as they should.