Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MONTANA OWNERS CLUB COMMUNITY > Member News
Click Here to Login

Old 05-23-2007, 08:11 PM   #1
exav8tr
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6333
Picked it up TODAY!!!!!!!

YEP, We finally picked up our new '06 3400RL. Did the final dealer thing, they showed me how to hook it up and then drove me around town for about an hour. I then took it 40 miles away to a Truck Driving School. Instructor had me do turns, both ways, then backing and more backing. Lasted about two hours. Glad I did it. Oh, on the way to the class I got a chance to do emergency braking. A car in front of me was picking up speed from a stop and then decided to turn left. I got the rig stopped about 6 inches (literally) from her bumper. Thank God everything stayed straight.

After class we took the Monty to an Army post with a Fam Camp. Got it settled for the night then noticed one landing gear was pinned at # 10 hole and the other at # 11. Will have to fix this tomorrow. Didn't have correct adapter for 30 amp plug so had to use the 20 amp tonight. Will get right adapter tomorrow.

Did I mention that it started raining before I got to the CG? Yep, what a day. We will start the moving in tomorrow and will stay there for about a week, until we get everything where we want it. Then our plan is to do a little travelling in Alaska, about 1000 miles, then if everything is ok with the rig, we head out down the Alcan around the 1st.

WE ARE TRULY EXCITED ABOUT THIS PHASE OF OUR LIFE AND HOPE IT IS NOT JUST A PASSING PHASE, BUT A PERMANENT ONE.

I want to send a great thanks to everyone that has offered advice during this adventure. I will continue to trust in the MOC before all others. Hey, that could be a great motto. TRUST IN MOC BEFORE ALL OTHERS. Sorry for the levity, It has been a very long day and Cathy and I are bushed.

I know others are going through the same thing right now and I congratulate them and wish them the best of luck. I feel I have a lot to learn and am anxious to get the mechanics down so we can start enjoying our new toy.

TV does a fine job, did a few hills and downgrades and she pulled great. My instructor suggested I leave in in TH mode whenever I am pulling. He also strongly advised me to get air bags. According to his explanation it makes perfect sense. I guess that will be next.

He commended me on my choice of truck and explained a little about the Allison tranny. Remember, this is what this guy does for a living and albeit a little abrupt, (you know how truckers can be), I hung on his every word. For those of you just buying a 5er, I would strongly advise signing up for a course. Try and do it with a truck driving school that awards all the different types of CDL's. I know you are interested in what this costs and here in Alaska, this was the only school and it cost me $250 for a two session. Maybe the best $200, I have spent on this rig so far.

I do have one request: Does anyone have a unhooking and setup checklist you could let me use. Or is there one posted somewhere?

Thanks in advance for all your help!!!!!!

Phil & Cathy

exav8tr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2007, 08:41 PM   #2
DONnANNIE
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6088
Send a message via AIM to DONnANNIE Send a message via Yahoo to DONnANNIE
Hi Phil, Congrats on FINALLY getting your rig. Good idea on the truck driving school.

As for checklist, go to the MOC homepage, look for Related Links near bottom. On the Related Links page, look for checklists.

That's what we used the other day. We are currently in Crescent, OR for the nite. Tomorrow we'll be at Lake Siskiyou for the Western rally for Memorial weekend.

DONnANNIE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2007, 09:04 PM   #3
D and M On The Road
Montana Master

M.O.C. #49
Congratulations on your purchase and new life style. That's what we hope to do within the next couple of years if everything falls into place. We have a business to sell or lease, a home to sell and two kids who need to get to a certain point in college before we can break away and become nomads. Alaska will be our first trip once we accomplish all that...

Happy trails to you and maybe we'll see you down here at a rally.

D and M On The Road is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2007, 11:28 PM   #4
fulltimedreamer
Montana Master

M.O.C. #919
Congratulations on taking delivery of your new home. It sounds as though you have done your homework. Enjoy your new lifestyle. Hey what's camping without a little rain??
fulltimedreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2007, 02:50 AM   #5
Mudchief
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4961
That is great what you did and I am glad you are finally getting to use that new rig. Didn't you already add extra leafs to your springs if so why did he suggest air bags?
1200 watts of Solar
Mudchief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2007, 03:11 AM   #6
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Phil.. you have done good. The driving school was a excellent move. Although new to the world of pulling a fifth wheel you probably have more knowledge that the average driver who has been doing it for years.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2007, 06:42 AM   #7
exav8tr
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6333
Dennis, He said even with the extra leaf, when cornering on an unlevel surface, you put a lot of twist on the two bedrails and when you bottom out it could pull hitch and or bed from these rails. He said with the air bags they never allow you to bottom out thus keeping stress off of the rails. He was not connected to a truck repair shop, and, didn't reccomend one over the other, so I think he was honest. He has over 30 years trucking experience. What do I know. Not sure I would ever bottom out with the extra leaf. He said it was a "better safe than sorry deal".

Will rent a U-Haul and spend today moving "STUFF" from storage unit and apartment we are in, Maybe stay there tonight. YESSSSSSS!!!
exav8tr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2007, 06:56 AM   #8
boylanag
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5965
Phill, we are happy that you finally are starting to live your dream. The truck driver's school was a great idea. Enjoy this phase of your life and don't worry about how long it will last. Remember to enjoy the journey and the destination will take care of itself.
boylanag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2007, 10:53 AM   #9
traveltunes
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6877
Congratulations on your new adventures and on your new rig. I have also added the leaf springs (two per side) to our truck and with the airbags there is no sag at all when hooked up to our new unit. Since we added the leafs, it makes the ride so much better than with just the airbags. Great combo! Happy Trails.
traveltunes is offline   Reply With Quote