Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > HAVE MOC WILL TRAVEL > Campgrounds
Click Here to Login

Old 04-22-2013, 02:59 AM   #1
mainer
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10761
Olympic Peninsula Campgrounds

Looking for recommendations/comments for campgrounds near Olympia National Park. Thinking we will be there for a week beginning of August. The area looks beautiful!

Thanks,
Marge

mainer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 03:22 AM   #2
jsmitfl
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1709
Send a message via MSN to jsmitfl
I did a lot of research on this area last fall. Off hand I liked one that was in Sequim and also the one in Neah Bay. There are so many to choose from. Good luck
jsmitfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 08:53 AM   #3
bigskyjimmy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10696
Are you folks coast to coast ,RPI, or ROD members ?? We are heading up to Sequim (pronounced "SQUIM") at KM resorts Diamond point this week Sequim is a good take off point for the peninsula it is the "banana belt" of the Western WA should be Nice weather but like was said before there are other public campgrounds around the area and also you are coming to Wash st at the right time June thru late Sept is a great time to come here the Olympic Pen is AWESOME!
Old 04-22-2013, 04:03 PM   #4
Drifty1
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9441
We stay at Fort Worden in Port Townsend when that area. This is a very handy State Park close to town. We also have stayed at Fort Flagler but this is a little farther out. If you would like a little more info on the area you could send me a message and I will give you my number so you can pick my brain!
Old 04-22-2013, 04:37 PM   #5
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
A couple of years ago we spent a month in Elwha Dam RV Park on the west side of Port Angeles. We liked the park and really liked the location because it's a few short miles to the north entrance to Olympic National Park. I have to tell you, I think my first time coming over the hill or around the corner or whatever to the location of the Visitor Center was truly breathtaking. This picture does not come close to doing it justice.

And, then, go about a mile west of that and here's our lunchroom of the day (Picnic Area B).
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 08:16 AM   #6
timandsusan
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5165
We stayed a week over Labor Day at Sequim Bay RV Resort and loved it. Great setting--bay just across the road. The park was great for us--we don't need alot of extras like pools, playgrounds, etc. We took a day trip to Vancouver (bring your passports), Also visited Hurricane Ridge, Hoh Rain Forest, and the hidden gem at Point Flattery--don't miss the Makah Indian Museum along the way. We also bought fresh caught king salmon in a local community--great fish--take a big ice chest for the fish. Check out our trip journal for more details of our visit 2009. Also don't forget the vacuum packer so you can vacuum pack the salmon and freeze for the trip to Maine.
F-250 King Ranch Crew Cab 2012, Single Wheel, 6.7 L Diesel, Transfer Flow Internal 50 Gallon Fuel Tank, Upgraded Ford Software for 50 Gallon tank, 2006 3475Rl with Mor-ryde King Pin, 2nd AC, 2nd Battery, Pressure Pro TPMS, Wet Bolt Shackle Kit
timandsusan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 12:26 PM   #7
mainer
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10761
Thanks for the information, I see that there are many campgrounds to choose from.
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by jsmitfl

I did a lot of research on this area last fall. Off hand I liked one that was in Sequim and also the one in Neah Bay. There are so many to choose from. Good luck
Old 04-24-2013, 12:31 PM   #8
mainer
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10761
No we are not members to any of those clubs you mentioned, just Passport America and Good Sams. We are military retirees and also camp at FamCamps whenever possible. We will be staying at Whidbey Island then going on to the peninsula. Was wondering if the ferry would be better than driving around, your opinion? So looking forward to seeing some of the west coast, will check out the campground that you mentioned.

Thanks again.
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by bigskyjimmy

Are you folks coast to coast ,RPI, or ROD members ?? We are heading up to Sequim (pronounced "SQUIM") at KM resorts Diamond point this week Sequim is a good take off point for the peninsula it is the "banana belt" of the Western WA should be Nice weather but like was said before there are other public campgrounds around the area and also you are coming to Wash st at the right time June thru late Sept is a great time to come here the Olympic Pen is AWESOME!
Old 04-24-2013, 12:33 PM   #9
mainer
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10761
Larry, thanks for the offer, will send you an email.

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Drifty1

We stay at Fort Worden in Port Townsend when that area. This is a very handy State Park close to town. We also have stayed at Fort Flagler but this is a little farther out. If you would like a little more info on the area you could send me a message and I will give you my number so you can pick my brain!
Old 04-24-2013, 12:40 PM   #10
mainer
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10761
Steve,
Thanks for also posting the pictures. WOW, so beautiful. I will also look at the website for the campground that you mentioned. It sounds like it is very convenient to the park and I believe it's also convenient if you want to take the ferry to Victoria.
Beautiful, beautiful country!

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by sreigle

A couple of years ago we spent a month in Elwha Dam RV Park on the west side of Port Angeles. We liked the park and really liked the location because it's a few short miles to the north entrance to Olympic National Park. I have to tell you, I think my first time coming over the hill or around the corner or whatever to the location of the Visitor Center was truly breathtaking. This picture does not come close to doing it justice.

And, then, go about a mile west of that and here's our lunchroom of the day (Picnic Area B).
Old 04-24-2013, 12:43 PM   #11
mainer
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10761
Thanks Tim for the recommendation on the campground and information on what you visited while there. Will also go and check out your trip journal. (while there I will also read about your Maritime Trip)

Marge

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by timandsusan

We stayed a week over Labor Day at Sequim Bay RV Resort and loved it. Great setting--bay just across the road. The park was great for us--we don't need alot of extras like pools, playgrounds, etc. We took a day trip to Vancouver (bring your passports), Also visited Hurricane Ridge, Hoh Rain Forest, and the hidden gem at Point Flattery--don't miss the Makah Indian Museum along the way. We also bought fresh caught king salmon in a local community--great fish--take a big ice chest for the fish. Check out our trip journal for more details of our visit 2009. Also don't forget the vacuum packer so you can vacuum pack the salmon and freeze for the trip to Maine.
Old 04-24-2013, 04:30 PM   #12
Drifty1
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9441
Jim, As for driving around it will cost a bit more to do that as I think it runs about $70 to take the ferry. If you have not been through Seattle you would like see the Pike Place Market or ride the Ducks Water Tour. Be sure and take the ferry over to Port Townsend while you are staying at Whidbey. Also take walk on trip from Anacortes to Friday Harbor. Are you coming across the pass on I-90 or highway 2? We met a couple up on Mt. Baker a couple From Minn. a couple years back and the said if they knew that western Washington was like this they would of spent less time in eastern Mt. And eastern WA.
Old 04-25-2013, 06:41 AM   #13
mainer
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10761
Larry, I wasn't sure what the ferry cost is, but I do think it would be a bit less. From what I have seen on the website I think we will have to call and discuss the height of our Monty with them. Jim had the Independent Suspension put on and it raised the height a few more inches.

We have never been to the West Coast, first time for us. I think Seattle is 30 miles south of Whidbey NAS so I am planning on us doing some day trips from there. I think the base also has a tour that you can take. We will be staying at Whidbey for 2 weeks. By that time we will be on the road for a bit and it will be nice to stay in a location for more than a week, be able to get some just relaxing days, in a beautiful location.

I did go to the website for the state parks and not surprised to find out that they are booked. It's the same here in Maine, if you don't make a reservation right away, you can't get in. I did also look at Elwha Dam RV Park (Steve recommended it) it looks very nice and RV park reviews was also rating it very high.

Not yet sure if Jim is planning on I-90 or highway 2. What would you recommend? We will be coming to Washington from Glacier, staying in Columbia Falls, Montana.

Marge

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Drifty1

Jim, As for driving around it will cost a bit more to do that as I think it runs about $70 to take the ferry. If you have not been through Seattle you would like see the Pike Place Market or ride the Ducks Water Tour. Be sure and take the ferry over to Port Townsend while you are staying at Whidbey. Also take walk on trip from Anacortes to Friday Harbor. Are you coming across the pass on I-90 or highway 2? We met a couple up on Mt. Baker a couple From Minn. a couple years back and the said if they knew that western Washington was like this they would of spent less time in eastern Mt. And eastern WA.
Old 04-25-2013, 01:04 PM   #14
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by mainer

Steve,
Thanks for also posting the pictures. WOW, so beautiful. I will also look at the website for the campground that you mentioned. It sounds like it is very convenient to the park and I believe it's also convenient if you want to take the ferry to Victoria.
Beautiful, beautiful country!
You are correct on both. Someone mentioned Point Flattery. That's also a gorgeous area and the drive getting there is very pretty, too. Neah Bay is enroute. Point Flattery (or is it Cape Flattery?) is the NW-most point of land in the lower 48 states. And it's downright beautiful.

We took the ferry to Victoria, from Port Angeles. Well worth the trip.

Also, not far from Port Angeles are several waterfalls in the National Park. Some require a little hiking but one is just a few hundred yards on pavement.

If you have any interest in seeing some of the things available in that area, please go to http://vickiandsteve.com , then click on "2010 Postcards." The ones from that area of the country start about November and continue into the 2011 Postcards. We were actually there from mid-July to mid-August 2010. Your timing (August weather) is good.

I hope you enjoy your trip, wherever you stay. Don't hesitate to email me (envelope icon above my post) if we can answer any questions.
Old 04-25-2013, 01:17 PM   #15
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
In 2010 we took the Victoria Express ferry to Victoria. We did not take a vehicle. Instead, our "combo" ferry ticket included a "grand tour" of Victoria, by trolley. You can get off and back on at will. And we did when we wanted lunch. After that tour we walked around the downtown area, by Parliament and the big hotel. Total cost for the ferry and tour ticket for two of us was $111.50. That's roundtrip.
Old 05-05-2013, 04:10 AM   #16
adelmoll
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2716
Like Steve says, Victoria is an awesome place to visit but our favorite place to see was Butchart Gardens.. We took the early ferry over and got a bus to the gardens.. They are the most beautiful gardens we have ever seen... If I remember correctly, the busses dp not run on Sunday. We got back to the city with plenty of time to walk around, take a rickshaw ride and a horse & buggy ride and still have time to have a wonderful dinner before taking the last ferry back to Port Angeles.. We also stayed at the same park they did and loved the location.

Helen
adelmoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 09:08 AM   #17
mainer
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10761
[quote]Originally posted by adelmoll

Like Steve says, Victoria is an awesome place to visit but our favorite place to see was Butchart Gardens.. We took the early ferry over and got a bus to the gardens.. They are the most beautiful gardens we have ever seen... If I remember correctly, the busses dp not run on Sunday. We got back to the city with plenty of time to walk around, take a rickshaw ride and a horse & buggy ride and still have time to have a wonderful dinner before taking the last ferry back to Port Angeles.. We also stayed at the same park they did and loved the location.

Helen

Thanks Helen for the information. I have made reservations at Elwha Dam RV Park in Port Angeles for a week. The park looked very nice and Steve had also recommended it, glad that you liked the park also. I too plan on going to Victoria and it is great to see that you loved it. Thanks for the heads up on Sunday. I think I have Washington all set now and starting to work on Oregon. The Oregon Coast looks beautiful too. Plan on taking 101 out of the Olympic Peninsula and follow it down to California. Now to find campgrounds on the coast in Oregon. I know it's too late for the state parks.
Old 05-05-2013, 09:58 AM   #18
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Jim, another advantage of that park is that most of the places you will want to go in the Olympic National Park are either up Hurricane Ridge or west of the park, making it a convenient jump off spot for all of those.

When we were there it was the last year for the actual dam before it was to be torn out to allow the river to return to its natural state. I wish we could see how that is progressing.

Your plans for Oregon are pretty much the same as we did but in reverse. We started in California, worked our way up the coast of California and Oregon, then up 101 on the west side of Washington until we reached Port Angeles. As you surmise, the Oregon coast is absolutely awesome. We spent a month along the Oregon coast, one week in each of four locations. That allowed us to roam to miles north and 50 miles south sightseeing on the coast, then move up the coast roughly 100 miles for another 50/50 sightseeing area.

Our website has all of that in the weeks and months prior to what I listed for the Port Angeles area. All in all, it took us seven months to go from southern California, up the coast, then back down through the middle of those states. Truly beautiful country. You have a fabulous trip ahead of you.
Old 05-08-2013, 02:09 PM   #19
adelmoll
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2716
Just one more thing FYI... We never make reservations unless it is over a holiday or a special event but take a look at our trip up the coast on our way to Alaska way back in 2006... The link will start around the Redwoods and take you all the way to the Canadian Border.. This one doesn't include Victoria tho... http://www.mytripjournal.com/travel-...go-big-mystery.

We were coming from the south and never had trouble finding a campsite...

Helen
adelmoll is offline   Reply With Quote