Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Additions & Improvements
Click Here to Login

Old 12-15-2007, 04:04 AM   #1
lcarter
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #7240
Second a/c

I know this has come up before but here goes. We are adding a second air conditioner to our 3485SA Montana this winter. We are considering a Dometic high efficiency 13,500 btu model that only draws 10 amps. Our concern is the increase in overall height of the trailer with this addition. the topside of the units specs out at 12 3/4 inches. Will this make the unit too tall for overpasses, etc?
It appears you can gain lower heights but only a couple of inches but most of those models draw more amps. Since we often camp where only 30 amps are avaiable, we would prefer the less amperage draw.
lcarter 18 months 16 days to retirement then here we come!

lcarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2007, 04:13 AM   #2
stiles watson
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2059
If you are using the MaxAir covers, you are already up that high anyway. Look at my signature. I have the second A/C unit on it. You will see that the MaxAir is sticking up above the more forward second A/C unit. The second A/C is not installed at the highest point of your roof. It is down the slope toward the front of the coach.
stiles watson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2007, 10:01 AM   #3
Steve and Brenda
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6364
Get the low profile AC unit for wind resistance reasons as well! We took the standard Dometic unit making our clearance 13'4". This is still short enough to make it under most of the US interstate system's overpasses but we're always on the lookout for that rouge overpass with our name on it.
Steve and Brenda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2007, 02:32 PM   #4
Montana Sky
Montana Master

M.O.C. #889
I went with the low profile Dometic 13,500 BTU with heat strip. My highest point is still the MaxxAir vent cover over the fantastic fan in the kitchen. Overall height of my coach is 13'3".
Montana Sky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2007, 03:01 PM   #5
hookman
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6237
I am putting a second a/c unit on my 2955 this spring. The Tech at the dealer said the standard a/c is alright. Does Keystone put a low profile a/c or a standard a/c from the factory
hookman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2007, 09:38 PM   #6
jjackflash
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7787
Hookman,We picked up our new 3400RL last month with a second A/C installed at the factory and it was a standard one.
Was hoping for a low profile but Charles Wade said no,a standard only.
Jack
jjackflash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2007, 02:58 AM   #7
mail2us
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6920
lcarter,

Hi, I purchased a 2nd A/C on line and paid $584.99 for it.

It's a Carrier AirV Low-Profile unit at 13.5 or 13,500 BTU's. It is not connected to the RV ducts nor is it heat wired. My RV dealer allowed or accepted the shipment direct to them and they installed it.

The Carrier AirV Low-Profile 13,500 BTU will draw approx. 12.8 amps. It is designed to fit over a standard 14" X 14" square roof opening and operates on a 20-amp circuit breaker.

The great thing is it is only 7 1/2 inches high.

The Dometic (Duo-Therm) Penguin model is 9 1/2 inches in height. I personally want everything on my roof "low". The front A/C to me would be more susceptible to damage than the rear due to rear slope.

You may know too that roof air units come in two packages, upper and lower so if ordering yourself make sure you order ceiling unit and upper unit. Good Luck. Dennis
mail2us is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2007, 03:20 AM   #8
SlickWillie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6575
I found good prices on the Carrier units, but was leery of using the unit on the front of the Mountaineer because of the specs on the Carrier. The Carrier specs say the unit is not to be installed with the front tilted below level. Will it cause compressor problems? Not sure, but I know our trailer has a few degrees drop on the roof in the front when we are set up. We went with the Penguin.
SlickWillie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2007, 05:08 PM   #9
rickfox
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2959
I installed the Penquin because I wanted to stay low. I also selected it because of the configuration of the air vents that were available for the inside portion. After all is said and done, I was not happy with the purchase for the following reasons.

1) Although the Penguin fan had 3 speeds - they are medium, fast, and lets take off! It makes way to much noise for me.
2) Also, the thermostat does not control the fan. When you turn it on to cool, the fan is on all the time - only the compressor turns on/off. The same is true for the heater.

If I had it to do over, I would not worry about the few inches above the roof, or +/- a few amps, I would get the unit that suits my operational needs - and the DW's! Unfortunately, I speak from experience - the hard way.

rickfox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2007, 07:03 AM   #10
mail2us
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6920
Other than the concern SlickWillie mentioned, I really have no issues with the Carrier unit we installed. It is relatively quiet considering it's in almost the smallest confined area, the bedroom.

I am not totally convinced about the front decline impacting the compression. That decline is so minimal that it just doesn't seem that Carrier would make such a unit. I could be naive though on this. Dennis
mail2us is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2007, 07:38 AM   #11
stiles watson
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2059
I have the Carrier low profile unit, recommended and installed by the dealer. About the only time it is used is right after set up to cool down the unit more quickly and on very hot days when the main A/C can't keep up.

We also turn it on if there is any condensation forming around the discharge vents using only one unit. For whatever reason, when we turn on the second unit, things dry up. I suppose the two of them together do a better job of dehumidifying.
stiles watson is offline   Reply With Quote