Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Additions & Improvements
Click Here to Login

Old 10-12-2007, 06:08 PM   #1
MAMalody
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5972
Any Thoughts on this

http://www.rvheadsets.com/

MAMalody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2007, 06:24 PM   #2
DHenry
Montana Master

M.O.C. #496
My brother and his wife have these and they swear by them.
DHenry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2007, 06:45 PM   #3
rogue
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7368
I thought about them, and wondered if the antenna would hit the inside roof of the TV? Than my neighbor offered me a good set of walkie-talkies for free. So free vs cost, easy decision.

rogue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2007, 05:08 AM   #4
exav8tr
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6333
Hands free would be nice sometimes, but have managed with walkie talkies so far. Maybe when these go out, if ever.
exav8tr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2007, 05:26 AM   #5
Ozzie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1358
Send a message via MSN to Ozzie
I like the idea, but would have this thing about covering my ears when backing. I want to hear what's going on.
Ozzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2007, 09:00 AM   #6
Carl n Susan
Site Team

M.O.C. #4831
We have tried any number of electronic communication devices including this type. Typically they use a voice actuated transmitter which can be slow to react. So it isn't much better than pushing the button on a walkie talkie and waiting a split second before talking. As the driver, I don't talk, I just listen. And as Ozzie pointed out, I want my ears uncovered and open to the surrounding environment (like high pitched screams of "oh nooooooo!").

Carl (n Susan) Youngren

Carl n Susan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2007, 10:36 AM   #7
Eagle Man
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #7430
When backing the rig, the DW and I put our cell phones on speaker, seems to work okay so far.
Eagle Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2007, 08:15 PM   #8
MAMalody
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5972
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Eagle Man

When backing the rig, the DW and I put our cell phones on speaker, seems to work okay so far.
I hadn't thought of this.
MAMalody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2007, 05:15 AM   #9
Parrothead
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1989
Send a message via MSN to Parrothead
We do the same thing - got tired of putting batteries in the walkie talkies. Ed lays his cell phone on the console with the speaker on and we can communicate very well. His pet peeve right now is the campground "host" (usually an old geiser) that "helps" him to back in. LOL
Happy trails....................
Parrothead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2007, 07:31 AM   #10
DONnANNIE
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6088
Send a message via AIM to DONnANNIE Send a message via Yahoo to DONnANNIE
Quote:
quote:Parrothead Posted - Oct 14 2007 : 11:15:05 AM
...(usually an old geiser)...
Shame on you Sue, you shouldn't talk about Ed that way. LOL

Just kidding Ed.

DONnANNIE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2007, 08:46 AM   #11
dsprik
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4282
I use my Bluetooth headset and cell with my wife's cell. Works well.

Using the speakerphone on my cell is the second option.
dsprik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2007, 10:01 AM   #12
MacDR50
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #7691
When backing I like to have eye contact through the mirror with my guide. Our rule is if we can't see each other I stop until we can. Ever watch the guys guiding an aircraft to its park location? Simple hand signals is all that is required. Now my MH had a BU camera with sound connected to my television. Even with this I wanted to see my guide. Here is some advice from a pro. in a trucker's magazine.

Using A Spotter

THERE MAY BE SITUATIONS where it is necessary to ask someone to help guide you while backing, especially when backing on the blind side (backing from the right). If possible, find someone with some knowledge of truck operation.

Review your backing plan with the spotter, and be certain he understands that he needs to check for clearances and obstructions on all sides, and must be alert to overhead hazards.

Agree on hand signals to be used, and have the spotter exaggerate his movements, so you can clearly see them in your mirrors. Some standard signals are:

• Straight Back — One hand above the head with the palm facing away from the driver, waving back.

• Turn — Both arms pointing in the same direction with index fingers extended.

• Stop — Both arms crossed with the hands in a fist.

Tell the spotter to stay in the line of sight of your mirrors so that he can clearly see you, as well as the rear of your vehicle.

If more than one spotter is being used, be sure to maintain contact with both of them. Frequently shift your attention from one spotter to another.

For the safety of the spotter, do not have him walk backwards while signaling directions. If you lose sight of a spotter, stop backing immediately and relocate the spotter before continuing.

Even with someone assisting, if you can’t plainly see what’s next to or behind your truck, stop, get out and check the area. On returning to the driver seat, begin backing so as to allow as little time as possible for moving objects to change behind your vehicle.
MacDR50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2007, 07:20 AM   #13
CanDo
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #2106
We had walkie-talkies for a while. Now we pull up to the site, we both check it out, and DH tells me how he wants to position the rig in the site. I have thanked "volunteers" for their offers of help, but explain that they can try to direct DH all they want, but he's only going to pay attention to me as I have a vested interest in our rig. We use the side mirrors and, as MacDR50 says above, if we can't see each other, he stops. We use hand signals for turning, backing and stopping (and so far, all of them have been polite!). When at a COE campground in Idaho, we were assigned a beautiful site with trees on both sides and some short wooden posts alongside the road in front. I couldn't watch the rig and the front of the truck at the same time. Our neighbor came over and watched the front of the truck for us - worked perfectly. Hadn't thought of the cell phone idea - will probably use that when necessary. Thanks, MOCers!
CanDo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2007, 10:54 AM   #14
simonsrf
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3120
Wow, these are all great ideas, never thought about the cell phone speakers!

Now, the sensitive question....how do I teach the DW left from right?......and Mike, one more device with batteries that can be left on?...NOT!
simonsrf is offline   Reply With Quote