Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Tow Vehicles & Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 02-26-2007, 01:02 PM   #1
SlickWillie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6575
Duramax no reverse......

Well, I shift to reverse the other day, and I get "range shift inhibited" on the DIC. No reverse. After researching the problem on a couple diesel sites, I believed the problem to be what is referred to as the "NSBU" switch on the tranny. I also read it was part of the emissions system, and should be covered as such. We're in Port Mansfield, TX, so I called around and the GMC dealer in Brownsville told me to bring it in. They didn't have the part but should have it tomorrow and will install Wednesday if I can limp it back over there. I had a he11 of a time convincing the service writer it was an emissions component, but I was determined, and finally succeeded. If you should have this problem, argue, argue and argue some more if they don't want to cover it under the emissions warranty. You'll probably be out at least 300 bucks if you don't.

SlickWillie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2007, 03:05 PM   #2
Steve and Brenda
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6364
Thanks for the input amigo, goes against logic though. I'm still trying to figure how a drive train issue is related to emissions.
Steve and Brenda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2007, 06:17 PM   #3
Montana Sky
Montana Master

M.O.C. #889
Will,
I read this problem on the dieselplace.com web site all the time. Keep us updated on the outcome...
Montana Sky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2007, 11:28 AM   #4
rvghostdriver
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #4518
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Montana Sky

Will,
I read this problem on the dieselplace.com web site all the time. Keep us updated on the outcome...
Isnt this the allison transmission? Not so bulletproof I guess. None of them are.
rvghostdriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2007, 01:00 PM   #5
SlickWillie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6575
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by rvghostdriver

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Montana Sky

Will,
Isnt this the allison transmission? Not so bulletproof I guess. None of them are.
It is actually a switch that mounts externally at the gear selector on the tranny. I don't know if it is an Allison or GM supplied part. From what I read on a TSB on some of the earlier models, it is subject to getting water spray in the switch, especially on left turns (front tire spray). I'm not convinced anything mechanical is "bullet proof".
Old 03-08-2007, 07:10 AM   #6
snowbunny
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #409
I know there was a thread on this about a year ago.

I had the same problem about two years ago. I park my Chev D/A nose in in my garage. One day I went to back out and had no reverse! It would go in forward but not reverse. At some point I turned off the engine and later tried it again and everything worked as it was supposed to. I went to my Chev dealer and he asked me how long the truck had been sitting as it was something that sometimes happened when they weren't used for a while. It had been a few weeks in my case.

Anyway, I haven't had any problems since (knock on wood!)
snowbunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2007, 12:36 PM   #7
SlickWillie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6575
OK, here's the final chapter. I still had trouble after the "NSBU" switch was replaced. I took the truck to Neessen GMC in Kingsville, TX. Long story short, it turned out to be the ignition switch. If I understood the mechanic correctly, there is a switch that provides voltage to the tranny, and that switch had bad contacts, providing low voltage. After installation of the new switch, everything works like new. I strongly recommend the folks at that dealership. I know how hard intermittent problems are to locate, and the mechanic was able to diagnose the problem quickly.