Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Tow Vehicles & Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 02-24-2007, 08:40 AM   #1
Chuck and Carol
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1011
CW tonneau covers

Has anyone bought a tonneau cover from Camping World and have them install it?

Carol

Chuck and Carol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2007, 08:56 AM   #2
rickety
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4855
I bought mine from Chevrolet when I bought the truck. It is a roll up, with bows. Takes about 5 minutyes to install/unistall. I really like it, because when I am towing I can roll it up against the cab, tie it with the velcro, nest the bows, tie them with velcro, lay themin the front bay of the monty or in the bed and I'm all reaady to go. When on it protects the fifth wheel, and the tool box. and keeping things out of sight, keeps them out of mind for thieves.
rickety is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2007, 11:11 AM   #3
William H. Collier
Montana Master

M.O.C. #798
I just checked CW's web site but was unable to find one. I was unaware that they even sold them. The one I have, Truxedo, is similar to Rick's execpt that the bows are attached to the underside of the cover and roll up with it. I had the original Truxedo on my 03 and just had the Low Profile installed on my 08 yesterday. I had no problems with the one on my 03 and would highly recommend the Truxedo.
Bill
Truxedo
William H. Collier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2007, 11:16 AM   #4
Chuck and Carol
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1011
We picked up a new catalog when we went to do the PDI on our Montana. They have 3 styles.

Carol
Old 02-24-2007, 11:18 AM   #5
William H. Collier
Montana Master

M.O.C. #798
Carol, who makes them?
Bill
William H. Collier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2007, 11:38 AM   #6
kdeiss
Montana Master

M.O.C. #164
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Chuck and Carol

Has anyone bought a tonneau cover from Camping World and have them install it?

Carol
Check www.covercraft.com
kdeiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2007, 01:19 PM   #7
BirdingRVer
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5740
I just had a fold-a-cover installed yesterday. When closed it is more secure than a vinyl cover. I haven't towed with it yet but it should be well out of the way.

http://www.foldacover.com/

BirdingRVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2007, 02:22 PM   #8
haslcs
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #6202
i also have a fold a cover. and it works great when towing. and it is made out of allum. so it should last a long time. and as birdingRVer said very secure and dry when closed.
haslcs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2007, 02:53 PM   #9
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
As Dave indicated there is a negative side.. We have the fold-a-cover and with the louvered tail gate you can not lock it. It does allow dirt in as the bed of our truck and everything in it is now Arizona beige. When you are parked and the wind is from the rear our Fold-a cover will billow..It think with a strong enough wind it would rip it of the truck.. I would still get the louvered tail gate because sooner or later I would back through the OEM gate....however..I would NOT get the Fold- A- Cover again. "... We made this post on another topic regards the Fold-A-Cover...Also when folded up in the towing mode I doubt that you will be able to see your hitch to hook unless you have a very long neck. The Fold-A-Cover is a very good product but has not worked out for us. OH..The OEM Keys are soft and break very easy and they cost 7.00 from the company..(much less from ACE hardware)Hopefully it will not break off in the lock.Oh..Make sure you keep the rubber cover on the locks or Ice, Snow, rain will collect in the lock and it will jam//keep it lubricated. Oh..watch how you open it and fold it back ...be gentle..you can bend the cover...
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2007, 03:44 PM   #10
Craig A
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6228
I second the vote for the Truxedo. Great product, installs in about 30 minutes, lifetime warranty. Can't beat it. I got the best price from www.truckcandy.com and you can check out the tonneau at www.truxedo.com. Mines the original, high profile so I can leave the hitch in the truck most of the time.
Craig A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2007, 05:19 PM   #11
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
I would also vote for the Truxedo roll back cover..That is the one I should have got..
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2007, 03:19 PM   #12
Fordzilla
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2819
Send a message via MSN to Fordzilla
I will pipe in here and say I love the Truxedo as well. Not the right place for this. But, I happen to have a new still in the box original style navy blue one if you are interested in it Rich. I ordered the low profile version and got a original one by mistake and they wouldn't let me return it. So I went ahead and ordered the low profile one anyway and have tried to sell this one locally. PM me if interested.
Fordzilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2007, 03:55 PM   #13
keham
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #3778
I had the Pace Edwards type it is slider type retractable and has many locking positions> one just in front of my hitch. worked get and with full tail gate locked tight and kept everything dry and clean in the bed. just used to tilt my hitch handle down with bungee and then closed the top. worked great. http://www.pace-edwards.com/
keham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2007, 02:45 AM   #14
Chuck and Carol
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1011
Camping World in Syracuse wouldn't say who the manufacturer was nor did they have any to show.
We went to another place to see the roll up type. We thought you could roll it up as far or as little as you want. Not so. Either it covers the whole bed or you roll it back the whole way. Now we are looking into fold a covers.
We want to carry some things in the bed of the truck, but don't want them to get wet if it's raining.

Carol