Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Sitting around the Campfire
Click Here to Login

Old 02-13-2007, 01:58 AM   #1
Cyrus
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6535
Camping activity questions

A friend & I were talking over the weekend about camping. He and I are both retired, mid 60’s & share the same hobby of skeet shooting. We use our campers as a place to live for the weekend at the club during tournaments. He has had campers & RV’s for over 20 years for this purpose only. I bought a 24 foot trailer last year for the same purpose but we used ours a couple times going to campgrounds with our kids and grandkids. Wife & I decided we needed more room for doing this, not skeet shoots. We bought 2006 Mountaineer 329RLT last October with 3 slides, lots of room, major overkill for a weekend skeet shoots. Now that you know something about us I will tell you that my wife loves camping not the skeet shoots and seems to be a natural camper but me?

The discussion my shooting buddy & I had is, now that we are both thinking about traveling, going to campgrounds and doing the camping thing. We both have places we want to travel to where the camper would be our home for week’s maybe months. This part we seem to understand but when at the campground seems to be the question. What is it we will be doing at the campground (definition of the camping thing). Sounds like we put the cart before the horse maybe?

Cyrus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2007, 02:06 AM   #2
Emmel
Montana Master

M.O.C. #808
Well Cyrus, you opened a never ending topic here and it is going to be fun for sure! There is an unending list of what we as campers enjoy doing while Camping! I like to cook over the fire, jaw with the neighbor, sightsee a lot, drink a cool one while sitting around the fire, make crafts, fish and on and on! This is an interesting topic, I'm going to sit back and see what other people have to do!
Emmel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2007, 02:17 AM   #3
Pete Hanson
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3543
Currently we are short term campers. We often go camping with family and friends who are campers as well but when we are alone, we like to go somewhere we have not been before and take in the local sights. I also love to play golf so I will find new and interesting golf courses wherever we are. Mostly, camping simply affords us the chance to put the business of everyday life behind us for a time (not to mention television and telephones)so we can catch our breath and relax. I can't wait to retire and spend more time discovering new places.
Pete Hanson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2007, 03:09 AM   #4
jrgwdenner
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1105
You're right, Emmel, this is a great topic. Camping, by the way, gave us a chance to meet Emmel and many other fine folks, which is our favorite part of camping. We have seen more of our relatives since buying a triler than we ever dreamt we would. Some would consider that a disadvantage.

We were able to see Alaska for two months and all the beautiful places on the drive up there. We've been able to go to a new area and explore it at a leisurely pace while enjoying a lifestyle that was not cluttered with shoveling snow, pulling weeds, or cutting grass. And, of course, we've learned to play Mexican Train dominoes and enjoy the fellowship of other players.

I'll leave the other ideas for the rest of the gang.
jrgwdenner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2007, 03:47 AM   #5
Parrothead
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1989
Send a message via MSN to Parrothead
Since I've been camping since a child (Girl Scouts) and was an avid tent camper in my 30's, it was being in the outdoors that interested me. Campfires, singing, making friends, being with friends, watching my little girl enjoy the outdoors, watching the wild birds & animals, reading, etc. Seeing new places, having new experiences is what the draw is now. And meeting more and interesting people. Or just doing nothing, relaxing, something we don't do enough of in our busy world. My doctor keeps emphasizing stress reduction. Finding new places for your hobby, be it golf, hiking or skeet shooting. JMHO
Happy trails.............................
Parrothead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2007, 04:33 AM   #6
Tom Gina 06
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #5993
Cyrus great to have you here at the MOC.

Well, I too have been camping since a child. The memories are what make it for me all the people that you will meet not to mention expand your hobbies to horizons you cannot even imagine. With technology today you can still stay in touch with all your now family and friends, not like the old days trying to find a pay phone. Like many of us just to think that we are in our home away from home, for many it is our home. Yet we are on this forum now that is amazing in itself.

Only thing I would worry about is make sure you make a place for your reloading supplies because I am sure you will find many a shoot in your travels. The people you meet are just incredible from all walks of life not to mention you will find the world is a very small place. You will no dought run into someone that knows someone you know in the middle of no where! Many people just dream of seeing the Mountains, others the Ocean, Maybe a Ghosttown, how about a city. When you go camping every bit of it can be a reality.

See when you are out camping in that dark place and see billions of stars that is what camping has to offer.....

Unlimited Opportunities.......

Now the best part you have found a place in the forum to get all those questions answered. Feel free to ask any question to only bad one is the one not asked. Just taking part in this topic reminds me how greatful I am to be where I am today. Because without camping I wouldn't!
Tom Gina 06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2007, 04:58 AM   #7
msmoonsatx
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6700
Like you, we have combined other hobbies with "camping". (Some people question whether I am really camping when I bring the microwave, shower, and television with me. LOL). My DW and I are members of the American Volksport Assoication (a national walking organization) and like to participate in walks when we travel. We are also both into crafts and you will find us sitting outside the trailer on a nice day doing our thing. I also like to take photos of the places we visit.
msmoonsatx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2007, 05:00 AM   #8
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
When we first started traveling, we did the things people usually do on vacations. Lots of go-go-go and sitting outside, etc. We still do some of that but at a slower pace. Bottom line is once we settled in we pretty much do the same things we did in our stick home. We just do more sightseeing, etc.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2007, 05:18 AM   #9
GlobalDouglas
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6376
"Camping," RVing" "Being".... Call it what you want but it all boils down to "living" - doing what you want to do, when and where you want to do it, and with whom. I enjoy staying in state and national parks for the peace and quiet. As a serious "long-distance power" hiker this also gives me the opportunity to explore trails. Monty will be my home for 2-3 months during the summer when school's out. I can hit the trails for an all day hike, just stay "home" and read a book by the fire, watch a movie, walk around the CG and socialize or find the nearest town for some excitment. I think the key is to discover ways to get involved with personal interests. The possibilities are unlimited. Safe and happy trails!
GlobalDouglas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2007, 05:29 AM   #10
Cyrus
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6535
I appreciate all the responses. They are making me think about things I had not thought of which is why I posted.

Before retiring around 12 years ago I got into photography for the fun of it and before I knew it became a second career. We have enjoyed photographing weddings, special events and sports events but health problems and age have slowed us down. I just bought a new digital camera and have started photographing sunrises, birds etc. which is why I took up photography to start with. I know that photography will be part of my camping life along with going to new skeet clubs, visiting distant relatives (if they are still alive) and seeing the country at our pace rather then job related. Our kids and grandkids will be a big part of our camping also, which is already happing.

Thanks for all the replies and keep them coming.
Cyrus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2007, 05:33 AM   #11
Montana_4837
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4837
Cyrus, if you like photography, your new Mountaineer is the perfect thing for traveling all around the continent to get those perfect shots. And don't forget geocaching. A perfect hobby for travelers.
Montana_4837 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2007, 09:54 AM   #12
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Cyrus, digital photography is perfect for the traveling life. We wore out one camera at over 14,000 pictures. A second has about 7,000 and a third is closing on that number. And we've been doing this just a month short of four years!
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2007, 10:20 AM   #13
Joyce H
Montana Master

M.O.C. #266
I think the best thing about Rving since we retired is rediscovering each other. We have done lots of reading and puzzles of various types,television, or a movie fill up our rainy days. We are into our third year of long timing and still enjoying each day. We love discovering new restaurants, shopping, and meeting people. Like Steve & Vicki we have settled into a much slower pace and usually wake up and plan each day during morning coffee. This year we are filling another one of life's fantasy. We are both working for Disney. We lived in Atlanta for 13 years before retiring and became huge Braves fans. It just happens the Braves do their spring training and pre season games here at Walt Disney World's Wide World of Sports. We have finished our training and will be working as host/hostess for Guest Operations during all the Braves pre season games. We have met some great folks and had great fun discovering the "behind the scenes" activities of Disney. We are enjoying creating magical moments for some select guests at the parks. So you see...RVing can really be anything you want to make it. Enjoy each day to the fullest and learn to be spontaneous in your activities. It is the greatest time of our lives!!!
Joyce H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2007, 10:55 AM   #14
bsmeaton
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6109
This is a great topic!

The DW and I always make sure we have a few trips to ourselves. We start to relax as soon as we pull away from the house - and leave work behind in our minds. These are the best of trips, and the Monty is better than a 5-star hotel the way I look at it. We try not to have a schedule, rather we remain spontaneous on these trips. These trips vary from the middle of a resort town for golf, or a backwoods lake for fishing.

The remaining trips we take our children (23, 14, 11) and it is always a new adventure! We may take the boat so a lake is important, or we may bury ourselves in the Rockies, or take a long distance sight seeing trip. With these wonderful kids, we have never had a bad trip. The more I plan for them, the more I find they just like doing thier own thing. The youngest boy will find 5 or 6 friends in the Campground within 30 seconds, and he is set for the duration. Our 14 year old daughter has Muscular Dystrophy, and loves to cook and play games in the camper with us. Our 23 year old and her boyfriend bring thier own camper and it's like having your best friends along.

Ahhhhhhh - NOW STOP SNOWING!

bsmeaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2007, 11:09 AM   #15
Montana Sky
Montana Master

M.O.C. #889
For me, the best part of RV'ing is meeting people and seeing the country. The trick that I found was don't make a bunch of plans for each destination. Have a few ideas of things I wanted to do, but leave the rest open. Talk to folks around the town, ask them what they recommend. Find out where the greatest restaurant in town is? What do the locals do? Jump in the truck and go sight seeing. I feel I see more by having open time than I did when I tried to go, go, go and plan each and every minute of the day.
Montana Sky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2007, 11:55 AM   #16
Wordsmith
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3215
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Cyrus

A friend & I were talking over the weekend about camping. He and I are both retired, mid 60’s & share the same hobby of skeet shooting. We use our campers as a place to live for the weekend at the club during tournaments. He has had campers & RV’s for over 20 years for this purpose only. I bought a 24 foot trailer last year for the same purpose but we used ours a couple times going to campgrounds with our kids and grandkids. Wife & I decided we needed more room for doing this, not skeet shoots. We bought 2006 Mountaineer 329RLT last October with 3 slides, lots of room, major overkill for a weekend skeet shoots. Now that you know something about us I will tell you that my wife loves camping not the skeet shoots and seems to be a natural camper but me?

The discussion my shooting buddy & I had is, now that we are both thinking about traveling, going to campgrounds and doing the camping thing. We both have places we want to travel to where the camper would be our home for week’s maybe months. This part we seem to understand but when at the campground seems to be the question. What is it we will be doing at the campground (definition of the camping thing). Sounds like we put the cart before the horse maybe?
Wow! What do campers like to do...the list is nigh infinite! As for me, well, here is a short list:

1. Get up early, make coffee, and cook some bacon. Wonderful smells there!
2. Sit around and read good books I do not have time to read while teaching. Sad to say for an English teacher but true.
3. Make campfires. I love this part of camping.
4. Go hiking. Always fun.
5. Sight see. We have a beautiful country and there is so much to see everywhere.
6. Cycling. I have taken up this for the last two years and love to ride in some of these beautiful places. Nothing like a 20-30 mile ride in some of these areas.

And, of course, the list goes on...
Wordsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2007, 02:56 PM   #17
Clyde n Deb
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #3477
Brad: "Ahhhhhhh - NOW STOP SNOWING!"

Did you take Dory out to Chatfield yet, or have you just been driving around in the storage lot taking pictures?

The Daytona 500 is this weekend, and there were 2 Montys (mine not included) in a group of 4 5er's out there a year ago for the 500. They said they were "track sidin' it!"

It's time to go!

Clyde n Deb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2007, 03:32 PM   #18
bsmeaton
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6109
Clyde- I haven't even washed it yet - let alone load it or install anything! I'm just hoping this weekend I can get it done and then...outa here!
Old 02-13-2007, 04:20 PM   #19
Ozzie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1358
Send a message via MSN to Ozzie
That must be just killing you Brad...I can hardly imagine trying to hold it back. We have sub zero weather here again and I just want to get out there and fix stuff.

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Wordsmith

Wow! What do campers like to do...the list is nigh infinite! As for me, well, here is a short list:

1. Get up early, make coffee, and cook some bacon. Wonderful smells there!
2. Sit around and read good books I do not have time to read while teaching. Sad to say for an English teacher but true.
3. Make campfires. I love this part of camping.
4. Go hiking. Always fun.
5. Sight see. We have a beautiful country and there is so much to see everywhere.
6. Cycling. I have taken up this for the last two years and love to ride in some of these beautiful places. Nothing like a 20-30 mile ride in some of these areas.

And, of course, the list goes on...
Pretty close to our program too...

Breakfasts and mornings are wonderful and a favorite part my day.
Coffee outside when it's nice and quiet.
Check the local towns/activities out and help support the local economy.
Hiking, walks, campfires, adult beverages, Polish Golf.
My wife tries to stop me from wanting to fix stuff.
It depends where we go - new places need to be checked out, and return visits we do other things.
Ozzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2007, 04:22 PM   #20
bsmeaton
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6109
It's killin me more ways than you think Ozzie - It's too cold to work on it so I just sit here and order goodies on the internet! Had Fedex and UPS here at the same time today

I think so far it has been a general consensus to not overplan the camping activities - leave some room for relaxation. It's really easy for a part timer to overplan, and you just come home more stressed than when you left.