Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Sitting around the Campfire
Click Here to Login

Old 02-12-2007, 02:39 AM   #1
SlickWillie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6575
Rediculous tow....

Been going to post this for some time, but kept forgetting. While on our way down to the RGV we spent the night in Victoria, TX at Wally World. Next morning an elderly gentleman spoke to me, and we got into a conversation about our travels. He proceeded to tell me he was from northern Arkansas and then about his TV and fiver. He was towing an aluminum skinned (corrugated) fiver that he said weighed over 10K empty. His TV was a 2002 Chevy Ext/Cab 1500 with a 4.3 V6. He says to me, "the hills give me some trouble, but I can run 70-80 on level highway". I'm sure he saw all my crowns and fillings as my lower jaw dropped. If I hadn't seen the truck and trailer, I think I would have called BS.

SlickWillie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2007, 02:57 AM   #2
Emmel
Montana Master

M.O.C. #808
You know, he just might , I say might, be able to get that rig up to 70-80 mph, but I sure don't want to be around when he has to make an emergency stop! Some people!
Emmel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2007, 04:05 AM   #3
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Will, in your opinion do you think that aluminum fifthwheel really weighs 10k pounds or more? That's pretty heavy for an aluminum rig, especially when empty as he said, although I suppose it is possible. In any case, that guy is nuts. He might be able to pull it but I wonder how well he stops it and handles it in an emergency maneuver. Scary.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2007, 10:56 AM   #4
Montana Sky
Montana Master

M.O.C. #889
Did you happen to catch which way he was going?? I want to make sure I am not in the same state as that fella!
Montana Sky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2007, 01:44 PM   #5
Okie Guy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6054
YIKES!
Okie Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2007, 02:03 PM   #6
SlickWillie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6575
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Montana Sky

Did you happen to catch which way he was going?? I want to make sure I am not in the same state as that fella!
He said he was headed to Mission, TX. I let them get on the road before we pulled out. I know those 4.3's will pull pretty good when geared right with a standard transmission. (I pulled a car on a flat bed for my neighbor once;his rig) I'm just surprised the tires don't pop with that weight. Not really sure what it weighed, but our trailer is 33.5' and it was probably as long as ours. I was going to remember the make, but I've slept since then. I'm not a fanatic on weight, but I try to use common sense. I was shocked when a Chevy 2500HD pulled into the park here with a huge Sportsman Sportster with 3 axles. Maybe it's not that heavy, but if it isn't why the three axles? Oh, well.
Old 02-12-2007, 04:11 PM   #7
dsprik
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4282
What's even scarier is that he is not alone. I'm not talking about the 3/4 ton diesel vs the 1 ton diesel "fun topic" we all get lured into occasionally here on this forum, I'm talking about the ludricrous, absurd, jaw dropping (fillings showing), "I got to be dreaming" type of combo.

I once saw a "low rider" mid sized pickup come down off the ramp with a new SunnyBrook 34'. He then proceeded to accelate over I-75 max speed, passing other cars. Words cannot describe the look on my face. Who puts hitches in those pickups??? Probably the owner himself as no installer with even one live brain cell would ever take responsibility for doing a job like that.
dsprik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2007, 05:59 AM   #8
ArkieBug
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #6706
There are individuals here in Arkansas that the rest of us Arkansan's effectionally refer to as " GOBS " good ol' boys. I think Cat320 knows the ones I speak of. If you would like to sit on the side of any road in Arkansas just prior to deer season in November, the entertainment factor goes through the roof. Ever once in a while one excapes into another state, thus the walmart encounter.
ps I rest my case. Walmart parking lots are like a magnet to them. lol
ArkieBug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2007, 07:40 AM   #9
SlickWillie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6575
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by ArkieBug

There are individuals here in Arkansas that the rest of us Arkansan's effectionally refer to as " GOBS " good ol' boys. I think Cat320 knows the ones I speak of. If you would like to sit on the side of any road in Arkansas just prior to deer season in November, the entertainment factor goes through the roof. Ever once in a while one excapes into another state, thus the walmart encounter.
ps I rest my case. Walmart parking lots are like a magnet to them. lol
I've been up around Bald Knob a few times. But, every state has that element, not just AR.
Old 02-14-2007, 11:08 AM   #10
BillyRay
Montana Master

M.O.C. #607
WOW!
BillyRay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2007, 01:05 PM   #11
Fordzilla
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2819
Send a message via MSN to Fordzilla
Hopefully someone talks some sense into him before he hurts someone. We have seen them around here before too. All a guy can do is tell them how overloaded they are and hope between us and a few other people something will sink in and he will realize he needs a bigger TV.
Fordzilla is offline   Reply With Quote