Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Sitting around the Campfire
Click Here to Login

Old 12-28-2006, 11:52 AM   #1
Dustytuu
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2975
We are getting another heavy snow storm!

We are supposed to get another 10 to 20 inches of snow on top of what we already have!

Here is something about snow........
Had to clean it up a lot!!!

DEC 15 It has started to snow. The first of the season. And Don and I take our cocktails and sit by the windows watching the soft flakes drift down. It was BEAUTIFUL!
DEC 16. We awoke to a beautiful blanket of crystal white snow covering the landscape. What a fantastic sight! Every tree and shrub covered with a beautiful white mantel. We shoveled snow for first time in years and loved it!
We did both our drive way and sidewalks. Later the snowplow came along and covered out sidewalks with compacted snow from the street. So we shoveled it again.
DEC 18. The sun has melted all our lovely snow. Oh well I am sure we will get some more before the lovely winter is through.
DEC 20. It snowed 8 inches last night and the temperature dropped to 20 degrees below zero. Shoveled the sidewalk and driveway again and the snowplow came by and did it's trick again.
DEC 21. Sold my car and bought a 4 X 4 Durango so I can drive in the snow. We bought snow tires for other car.
DEC 22. Fell on my &^%$# on driveway. All was hurt was my feelings.
Still cold (below zero in the AM) and icy roads make for tough driving.
Dec 23. Had another 15 inches of the white &^#%* last night! More shoveling for me today. That *&%#$@ snow plow came by twice!
We are assured of a white Christmas because 13 more inches of the white &^#%* fell today and with this freezing weather it won't melt until August! Got all dressed up to go out to shovel (boots,scarf,jumpsuit, heavy jacket, gloves, earmuffs and etc.) then I got the urge to hit the bathroom.
We were going to go ice fishing today but the worms froze and I didn't want the fish to break their teeth on our bait!
DEC 24. If I ever catch that &^%$# that drives that snowplow, I will drag him through the snow by his nose! I think he hides around the corner and waits for us to finish shoveling, then he comes down the street 100 miles an hour and throws snow all over what use to be my lawn!
DEC 25. Merry Christmas! They predicted 20 more inches of the $%*&^ white stuff tonight! Do they know how many shovels full of snow, 20 inches is?
The snowplow driver came by asking for a donation....I hit him over the head with my shovel!

Dustytuu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2006, 12:01 PM   #2
Joyce H
Montana Master

M.O.C. #266
Thanks for sharing Dusty & Don. Just reinforces why we spend the winters in FL. No more shoveling that white stuff for us. Gee ...it's great being retired!!!
Joyce H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2006, 12:23 PM   #3
lightningjack11
Montana Master

M.O.C. #59
Been there. When we lived in Omaha, we bought a house on the wrong side of the street. The predominate 30K winds always blew into the drive so every winter for six years we got all the snow while the people accross the street had nothing. It required a 4am getup in a race to get the snow shoveled and get out of the drive before the snow plows came.
lightningjack11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2006, 12:24 PM   #4
campbud
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3142
Dusty we are in the low 50's here which is a bit unusual for us. Sure hope you dont get to much of the white stuff. I keep thinking "SPRING PLEASE COME QUICK!"
campbud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2006, 12:25 PM   #5
mrosser
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #1423
I WOULD NOT MIND SEEING A LITTLE OF THE WHITE STUFF HERE IN NORTH GEORGIA, BUT NOTHING LIKE YOU GUYS ARE GETTING. HANG IN THERE DON, SPRING IS AROUND THE CORNER
mrosser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2006, 12:30 PM   #6
Mac
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4624
Mark,

Dusty and I would gladly ship you a whole #$*!*@* truckload of this white stuff about now!

mac
Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2006, 12:42 PM   #7
Dustytuu
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2975
Mac you are right!!! We won't be able to get out of our property tomorrow.
The grocery stores are running out of things. We didn't get there but will be OK. They said it may take a week for the grocery stores to get supplies in.
That snowplow in that story was make believe. Our snowplow out here is pretty good. I remember the blizzard of 2003 people were running up and down the road on snow mobiles. And the snowplow was on tracks. Didn't do the blacktop much good!

I am trying to think "spring"
Old 12-28-2006, 01:05 PM   #8
Mac
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4624
We tried to buy some potatoes for my mom when we took her home on Tuesday and the stores were still out of basic things like that. It's amazing how we rely on the supply chain and how much food gets delivered to stores every day and night, transparently to the average person.

mac
Old 12-28-2006, 01:22 PM   #9
exav8tr
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6333
Mac, I have been in Alaska for 14 years and when y2k was about to happen, everyone was afraid of the supply chain getting shut down cause everything was run by computers. People were buying 20-50 lb bags of food "just in case". Not me, I had faith and it worked out. We have had 29 1/2 inches of the white $%^*&^%$ here so far in December (with more on the way), Our average for Dec is 14 inches. I have to shovel the fricking roof so the snow doesn't cover my heater exhaust pipes and shut down my heater as it did a few years ago.

This is my last year in the frozen north as I am selling stick home this spring and heading for somewhere south. Possibly Spokane WA and summer hideout. Will travel to Canada in summer and AZ and San Diego in the winter.

Good luck with the snow....
exav8tr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2006, 01:35 PM   #10
Montana Sky
Montana Master

M.O.C. #889
Phil,
Not to rain on your parade, but Spokane has had its fair share of snow over the past 2 weeks. I really love the melting all day, and freezing at night. Sure makes driving a little more interesting once the sun goes down. =)
Montana Sky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2006, 04:02 PM   #11
exav8tr
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6333
Dave, I've noticed. Been tracking the weather there for last year. I do enjoy some snow, just not 7 months worth. We have snow from Oct until end of May usually. Way TOO long for me. I am willing to put up with some winter, in fact I enjoy it, just want a little less. Who knows, maybe when I readjust to the Spokane heat during summer I may move further south (NOT)....lol

Phil
exav8tr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2006, 05:47 PM   #12
Montana Sky
Montana Master

M.O.C. #889
You will love our summers! I know I sure do... I drove by 3 different rv parks today, they all had some 25+ rv's in them. I am sure the winters will be a great break from what you are used to.
Montana Sky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2006, 04:16 AM   #13
toolmanroy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1745
Though our winter seems to be colder than normal with less rain, the white stuff is still on the mountains and not in our valley. We spent way too many years living near Chicago when the snow started in November and piled up until at least April. It would freeze or blow around. No thanks, I will take a little rain and fog as the worst of the winter here in southern Oregon. This weekend is to be sunny with no rain and we are taking off in the Montana for a little break.
toolmanroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2006, 04:34 AM   #14
bsmeaton
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6109
Gotta love it Dusty and Don!

I might be a pain, but it sure is pretty outside! I went to the storage lot to shove snow off the boat. A coal train went by and snow was blowing all around the cars as it went speeding through the fog! I felt like I was sitting in the movie Polar Express!

bsmeaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2006, 04:59 AM   #15
Dustytuu
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2975
It is pretty here too. We don't plan on going anywhere this weekend for sure! Don't think we could get off our property. And we have 4 wheel drives on 2 of our vehicles. Our house is not sitting right next to the highway so would have to get out the driveway. The blizzard of 2003, I couldn't get out with my SUV 4 wheel drive. Neighbor that plows our driveways was in Europe that time. We finally hired it done and cost us about $100.
Old 12-29-2006, 05:07 AM   #16
bsmeaton
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6109
Yep Dusty and Don - I'm just snuggled in for the weekend. Spent some time staring at the snowblower this morning, then went back in the house and grabbed another cup of coffee .

We are supposed to be in Santa Fe for New Years Eve. Guess that will depend on I-25 south by Sunday.

Actually - if you need anything, let me know. I'll probably get the DW's Expedition out later this afternoon and try to make a run to the Safeway. Hers does much better in this stuff than that light in the butt F350 with those highway Continental tires.

Brad
Old 12-29-2006, 05:28 AM   #17
Mac
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4624
Brad and Dusty,

I just got back from King Soopers here in Castle Rock, inbetween blasts, we've gotten about 14" from this one so far but it's supposed to start up again soon. Just for the record most of the shelves are empty, no milk, no OJ, no eggs, strange to see all those empty shelves.

mac
Old 12-29-2006, 06:16 AM   #18
bsmeaton
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6109
Thanks MAC - may not bother with the trip after all if nothing is there. The news said don't get fooled by this afternoon, the rest is coming tonight!

Brad
Old 12-29-2006, 06:38 AM   #19
Dustytuu
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2975
We are out in open country where lots of snow happens. I think we are in the 18 to 24 area of snow on the weather map.
Thanks for the offer. We have two 4 wheel drives. But at times,it has been so deep here that they didn't do any good. Have a Durango SUV and the Dodge Diesel tow truck which is 4 wheel drive too. I don't think Don would get that out unless it is a dire emergency! That is his "baby"

Since we live so far from any store or town we try to keep stocked in food and etc.
Old 12-29-2006, 08:36 AM   #20
bsmeaton
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6109
Found milk at the Kings on Lincoln, but no eggs. Roads are actually good out there.