Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Sitting around the Campfire
Click Here to Login

Old 12-03-2006, 03:03 AM   #1
Dustytuu
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2975
snow storm in MO

During the last snow and ice storm that hit several states.
I was talking to my cousin near Springfield MO. She said a Montana off the road near Springfield, MO. Not in the ditch but looked like the truck had jack-knifed. I hope everyone was OK. She said didn't look too bad from the news on TV. Could have been much worse.
I bet that driver needs to buy new undies.

They had a ice storm and then snow on top of that.

Dustytuu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2006, 03:26 AM   #2
Crossthread
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6460
I bet a lot of new owners are squirming right now. Ours is supposed to be at the dealer in Los Angeles area Dec.5th. Bill
Crossthread is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2006, 03:45 AM   #3
Ozzie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1358
Send a message via MSN to Ozzie
Now that is scary...living in Minnesota, we are much too familiar with ice. It almost doesn't matter how good of a driver you are.
All I can say is get off the road till it clears.

I've often thought how fun it would be to take ours south in the winter, but trying for dry roads doesn't sound very fun. Think I'll stick to planes and rental cars for a while.
Ozzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2006, 02:32 PM   #4
Dustytuu
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2975
Living here in Colorado we have towed in snow. Not by choice but happened. Not fun for sure!
Old 12-03-2006, 04:02 PM   #5
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
That's the same storm that hit us. We had a quarter inch or so layer of ice with 7 inches of snow on top. The trees were gorgeous, though. And the 7 inches of snow was a whole lot better than the 15+ inches they'd predicted. I hope the folks with the Montana are ok.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2006, 05:04 PM   #6
Dustytuu
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2975
That's the same storm that hit us. We had a quarter inch or so layer of ice with 7 inches of snow on top. The trees were gorgeous, though. And the 7 inches of snow was a whole lot better than the 15+ inches they'd predicted. I hope the folks with the Montana are ok.
----------------------------------------------------------------------

Yes! I hope they are OK. My cousin saw it on the news. We didn't have anything about it on our news here in CO. Also another relative told me ... due to a accident near St.Louis there was trucks that jack knifed and blocked the free way going into St.Louis and had traffic backed up for 35 miles for a long time. She said some had to be rescued. We never had that on our news either.
Old 12-07-2006, 05:14 AM   #7
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
We time our escape and select our route to avoid snow and ice on roads. Two years ago we were out of here in less than half an hour, and ahead of our planned escape date, when we were told by authorities that if we were not out of here in an hour or so we could plan on staying through Friday (this was a Tuesday) as a major ice storm was coming in. The Highway Patrol told me, also, the roads are clear and I have an hour or so before they start getting slick. We were out of here in 25 minutes.

I have four or five routes planned for our escape and will determine our route at the last minute, based on actual weather and the forecasts.

I drove 25 miles of I-40 from Salisaw, OK, to near Ft. Smith, AR, back in Feb, 2003, with several inches of snow on the ground. Most of the way, one lane was open but only the wheel tracks were clear. Naturally, the tracks were more narrow than the track of our truck and Montana so one side rode on snow. Occasionally the second lane had clear wheel tracks, in which case the semis and other vehicles would pass us, throwing up blinding snow and passing far more closely than I'm comfortable with. I told Vicki soon as we reach Ft. Smith we are stopping and next morning would drive north to Springdale to my aunt's funeral. Fortunately when we crossed into Arkansas we found they'd cleared their roads and it was smooth sailing. But I'll never again tow this monster in snow.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2006, 06:10 AM   #8
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
I drove a truck and 5th wheel once in heavy snow..returning a camper from a RV show..never again.We like Steve have several routes plotted for our escape SW and since Helen and I both drive we can do a lot of miles if need be. We are in the midst of a " Lake effect snow warning" You gotta live here to understand that and we are going nowhere for the next couple of days.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2006, 06:16 AM   #9
CampingCrazyShirley
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6271
Being right here in MO and having been hit with the ice and snow, I can tell you our side streets are just now beginning to get fully bladed off. I live outside of St. Louis, about 50 miles west...There are still 10's of thousands in St. Louis without electricity, but by tomorrow, they expect to have everyone back up. At our house, we received about 3-4 inches of ice/sleet, and then about 5 inches of snow on top of that. Most of the schools went back yesterday. Most of the roads are fine now, but it's the smaller, side streets that get ignored until last. The temps today are quite cold...in the mid teens, but sun is shining.
CampingCrazyShirley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2006, 07:48 AM   #10
Dustytuu
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2975
One of my cousin's live in St.Louis and her two boys were out of power. She had them at her house until the power gets back on.

That was some trip Steve! wow!

We towed the Monty up Monument Hill in snow. Between Denver and Colorado Springs. Lots of vehicles in the ditch. It was not a fun trip but just trying to get home. We almost stopped and stayed somewhere. Don was still working full time at that time.
When we got home, no snow at our house!! It was a storm that just hit south of Denver area.

We both drive too but we don't tow after dark.