Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Repairs & Service
Click Here to Login

Old 02-08-2012, 04:22 AM   #1
c214dick
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8160
flat tire

So here I sit at our stick house in Fl with nothing to do. Monty is parked in the back yard just waiting for us to hook up and go back north to Illinois. Because I have nothing to do, I decided to check the tire pressure and do a few other things to prepare for the trip north.

I removed the tire cover on the curb side, knocked off some spider eggs and found one of the tires to be flat. Now that should not have surprised me because when we pulled Monty out of storage, in the spring and brought it to it's new home, the same tire was flat. We put air in it at the time and it seemed to be fine, NOT.

Because we have the Lippert 6 point system and knowing that it will lift the side so I can remove the tire, I went about loosening the lugs. The first three, at the top, no problem, the rest OUCH.

I have sprayed them in the hopes of breaking through any rust but my 4 way lug wrench doesn't quite fit the lugs. I do have a socket which is the right size but not thin enough to get all the way on the nut. I'm afraid I might strip it if I try too hard. I'm pretty sure this happened when my axle was replaced and they put the wheels back on with an impact gun. Shame on them and shame on me for allowing it.

Any suggestions? I'm not in a big hurry as I do have 6-7 weeks b4 we leave.

c214dick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2012, 05:00 AM   #2
bncinwv
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6846
Sounds like a trip to Harbor Freight may be in store. I have their 1/2" drive torque wrench that I use in combination with a cheap set of deep well sockets that I got there. Perhaps the Chinese sockets are not as thick as other ones, but I have not had a problem getting them on the lug nuts completely. I have been known in the past to use a 1/2" breaker bar with a piece of pipe on it for troublesome lug nuts. Just gotta be careful not to twist off the entire stud and lug nut assembly.
Bingo

Bingo and Cathy - Our adventures begin in the hills of WV. We are blessed by our 2014 3850FL Big Sky (previous 2011 3750FL and 2007 3400RL) that we pull with a 2007 Chevy Silverado Classic DRW CC dually.
bncinwv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2012, 05:04 AM   #3
racerjoe
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7770
I would go get a 1/2 drive deep socket,breaker bar and either a 3 or 6 inch extension,that should do it very well. you could also put a small pipe extension to give it a little more. Should have that on hand when traveling anyway.
On the flat tire issue,if you can I would pump the tire back up and take a little soapy water and check the valve stem and core. i had a leak this fall and after taking the tire off,checking the tread and wheel for leaks with water,I found the core had a slow leak. replaced core and all okay.
racerjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2012, 05:13 AM   #4
capn chris
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2586
Send a message via AIM to capn chris Send a message via Yahoo to capn chris
Call roadside assistance?? ERS?
capn chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2012, 06:02 AM   #5
Art-n-Marge
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9257
Send a message via MSN to Art-n-Marge Send a message via Yahoo to Art-n-Marge
This happened to me once, when I allowed some gorilla at the tire station to replace the tires on a prior rig. As I watched the Technician I saw that as he used the impact wrench he did NOT stop when the nut was on the stud and continued to let the rat-a-tat-tat go on for quite a few seconds. DOH! I should have stopped him, but I wasn't thinking. Usually the tech will stop at this moment and then complete the torquing with a wrench.

Some time later I needed to remove the nuts and you guessed it, I never had such a workout. I was able to work all the nuts off except for the last one. It broke off at the stud!!! The ONLY solution was locating and paying over $100 for a new brake drum (with studs). Nowadays I watch the techs and talk over the procedure FIRST prior to tire mounting. No problems so far and they are understanding of my concerns.
Art-n-Marge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2012, 07:45 AM   #6
c214dick
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8160
Chris, if I was on the road I would call ERS as I have done in the past. Because it is in my backyard I would be afraid for my neighbors to see.

Good news is 7 down and 1 to go. I have already partially rounded off part of the last nut. I am using a 6" extension with my 1/2" drive torque wrench. I did see on line that someone used a floor jack under the breaker bar and that put enough pressure to break the nut loose. Louise is out with our truck and my jack is in the misc box. Until than I am obviously not doing anything but playing on the computer.

I will go to Harbor Freight and look for the proper socket (Chinese), at least a deep socket. I was able to tap my reg socket on, with a hammer, enough to grab the nut (wheel's). I can never find enough reasons to go to Harbor Freight so thanks again.

I guess while I'm waiting I will go and put air in the flat and look for a leak at the valve stem.
Old 02-08-2012, 10:07 AM   #7
HOOK
Montana Master

M.O.C. #11401
When we owned a towing co., we changed tires for people at their residense. Worth a try. Larry
HOOK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2012, 11:45 PM   #8
NCFischers
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8728
Send a message via Yahoo to NCFischers
You can ruin a torque wrench if you are using it as a breaker bar. Not a good idea.
NCFischers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2012, 01:08 AM   #9
c214dick
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8160
Thanks Jim, I'll buy the appropriate tool. I found a really cool tool store less than a mile from my house. It's like a condensed Harbor Freight. Lots of stuff in a smaller store.
Old 02-09-2012, 01:48 AM   #10
racerjoe
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7770
If I can throw my 2 cents in on tools, a cheap socket has a good chance of breaking putting a good amount of stress on it. If it breaks you are going to hit the ground. when it comes to tools,quality does matter. personally I like my hands.
racerjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2012, 02:52 AM   #11
Tom S.
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7500
If you are still having trouble, I can send you a socket that will fit, and can be used with an impact wrench or big breaker bar if you have one.
Tom S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2012, 03:17 AM   #12
c214dick
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8160
Thanks Tom. I went to my new favorite tool store and bought a set of impact sockets which seem to fit with a little tap tap from my hammer, also bought a giant breaker bar, that's the good news. The bad news is it still will not budge. I'm going to try using my floor jack to put a little more pressure on it and save my back in the process. If that fails I will be calling ERS. I'm sure glad I renewed it.
Old 02-09-2012, 05:08 AM   #13
c214dick
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8160
IT'S OFF!!!!!!!!!! Think 2 words POWER BLASTER. I don't think it's the valve stem as I can't detect any leaks from it. However my junk compressor from Harbor Frieght only got my tire pressure up to 15 lbs which is almost enough to blow up a balloon. I guess I'll keep it here to fill up the bikes and blow out the lines of the trailer.

So now it's off to get the tire repaired and buy a real compressor so I can fill up the rest of the tires.
Old 02-09-2012, 07:06 AM   #14
Hooker
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7915
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by racerjoe

I would go get a 1/2 drive deep socket,breaker bar and either a 3 or 6 inch extension,that should do it very well. you could also put a small pipe extension to give it a little more. Should have that on hand when traveling anyway.
That's what I have...Harbor Freight has them.
Hooker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2012, 05:45 AM   #15
Waynem
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7673
Go for a good set of deep well impact sockets. The don't have to be used on an impact gun and can be used on a 1/2" drive. The impact sockets are case hardened if you get a good set. Who knows, you may never need them again, but you'll have them. But if you don't have them, you will need them. Isn't that the logic?
Waynem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2012, 07:46 AM   #16
c214dick
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8160
Thanks Wayne and that logic always works. I bought a set of deep well impacts so I could get the last lug off along with an x-long breaker bar and a can of PB. The bad news is that the tire shop says the tire is leaking from the inside side wall and showed me a bubble just under the area that is leaking. He's sure that when it was mounted it got screwed up. A new tire is on order and will be here Monday.

The leaking tire has less than 50 miles on it. It was ordered as a replacement when my bent axle was replaced. The new tires were mounted at a shop down the street from the axle shop. That was a year ago. After the axle replacement we brought the Monty back to the cg for a couple of weeks and moved in 1 site over to store. When we came back in May we found it flat and suspected that it was the neighboring full timer. We filled it up and moved it to our new home in Fl, parking it in our back yard. Now almost 9 months later, after removing the tire covers, to prepare it for the trip back north, it's flat again and the rest is history.

I don't have the documents here from the repair but my son is checking my files in Illinois to see if he can find them. I know there's nothing I can do against the shop that mounted the tires but I my be able to get some kind of warranty from the original retailer. I only hope the wheel is OK.