Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Additions & Improvements
Click Here to Login

Old 11-12-2007, 03:36 PM   #1
Okie Guy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6054
Wood flooring...Help

Ozzie or anyone else who has put wood flooring in their unit. I am reading up on expansion gaps for wood flooring. For those who have put this type of flooring in their trailer what did you do about the expansion gaps? Do you but it up against the wall with no slide or just add a piece of molding along the bottom of the wall?
I have never put this stuff down before so I want all my ducks in a row before I start. Unfortunately the handyman gene from my dad passed me over.
TIA
Phil

Okie Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2007, 03:47 AM   #2
jsmitfl
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1709
Send a message via MSN to jsmitfl
I allowed the 1/4in expansion around the walls, and put quarter round trim over it. If it is in front of the slide out, I ran a washer head screw down just off the laminate. Thats how the factory does theirs too. I guess every 2 feet or so. At the stairs I used the stair molding that matches the floor.
jsmitfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2007, 03:23 PM   #3
Okie Guy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6054
Thanks!
Old 11-14-2007, 02:19 AM   #4
Bill and Ann
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1493
CoachPotatoes also put hardwood flooring throughout their coach. Perhaps Al and Nita will have a comment for you.
Bill and Ann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2007, 12:26 PM   #5
Ozzie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1358
Send a message via MSN to Ozzie
Thanks for the mention Okie Guy...
It's true I do have a carpentry background, but I have a feeling you may have been referring to our local Mod King...OZZ.
I have put in a couple of those floating floors at home and do love them, but mobile units like our rigs might react a wee bit differently.
Ozzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2007, 01:51 PM   #6
Okie Guy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6054
OK my age is showing...the first thing to go is the mind. I am getting names mixed up with pictures. I hope this doesn't turn out like my mom. She starts at the top of the list of kids and works her way down when she is trying to spit out my name sometimes.lol Anywho I think I am going to go with jsmitfl's plan. If I find the oak flooring I want ot put down.
Thanks All!
Old 11-14-2007, 02:10 PM   #7
TheCoachPotatoes
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3847
Phil,
We installed laminate flooring throughout our entire unit. It looks great. Not sure if you are putting actual hardwood in or laminate. We felt the laminate was more practical. The laminate we used was individual interlocking pieces. It really does look like wood. We did allow for expansion and put molding all around. If you follow Jsmitfl's advise you should do well.
TheCoachPotatoes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2007, 05:43 AM   #8
jsmitfl
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1709
Send a message via MSN to jsmitfl
Okieguy, check HD, They use to sell Dupont. They had an oak that was real nice. The finish was real durable. I think you will like it if they still sell it.
jsmitfl is offline   Reply With Quote