Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Additions & Improvements
Click Here to Login

Old 10-30-2007, 01:38 PM   #1
Little Rhody
Established Member

M.O.C. #7566
joining gray tank plumbing

We have a 3295RK (2008) and would like to have increased gray water storage capacity for the bedroom useage. Has anyone plumbed the galley and the bathroom gray water tanks together? Can we join the kitched tank to the bedroom tank? Any comments, idea's or how to's would be welcomed. Thanking you in advance . . .

Little Rhody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2007, 01:56 PM   #2
8.1al
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1658
You can get a shutoff valve that hooks onto the end of your sewer pipe, where you would normally hook your hose. Just install this, leave it closed and open your gray water tanks, this will connect them to each other.
8.1al is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2007, 01:57 PM   #3
Jaelyn
Established Member

M.O.C. #619
Hi Rhody,
I bought a valve that adds on to where you hookon the sewer hose. Keep that closed and open gray and galley tanks, and you can use both tanks.
Bought the vale at Camping World for under $20.
Tom
Jaelyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2007, 06:19 PM   #4
SAndreasen
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1918
This extra value that is placed at the end of the factory plumbing also has an extra benefit-NO UNPLEASANT SURPRISES! when you remove the sewer cap to hook up the hose.
SAndreasen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2007, 01:49 AM   #5
ols1932
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1944
That extra valve is wonderful, if you don't lose it. Apparently mine was loose and I lost it going down the road. If you're like me and leave it on all the time, I'm going to bungee cord a new one on so that I don't lose it again.

Orv
ols1932 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2007, 05:48 AM   #6
simonsrf
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3120
One word of caution on equalizing your tanks with an outside valve. You can get bad smells in the bathroom/bedroom sink and shower that comes from the kitchen sink. Here is the valve we use: http://tinyurl.com/27b7qk

Orv, I give mine a twist clockwise each time I hook/unhook the sewer pipe.
simonsrf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2007, 06:31 AM   #7
skypilot
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1846
Just to second Robbie's comments -- depending on your use of the galley tank you could get some unpleasant smells. Another thing to be very careful of is to make sure you close those valves before opening the black tank -- cross contamination from the black tank is not good!!
skypilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2007, 06:50 AM   #8
simonsrf
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3120
Skypilot,

ABSOLUTELY! I completely forgot to mention that! Never dump any tank while the black tank valve is open, and make sure the galley and grey tanks are closed while dumping the black!

When we were equalizing the tanks, we got the bad smells in the bathroom sink/shower. It took lots of cleanings and flushes etc. to get that smell to go away, and it was cross contamination from the galley tank!

Depending on the situation, you may 'have-to' equalize the tanks, but we try to find a different solution each time this problem arises.
Old 10-31-2007, 03:15 PM   #9
Little Rhody
Established Member

M.O.C. #7566
Thanks for all the good input - I purchased the twist-on valve for use this weekend. And I purchased a glue-in perminant valve for installation "soon". All greatly helpful info - Tks!
Little Rhody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2007, 04:56 PM   #10
Carl n Susan
Site Team

M.O.C. #4831
O.K. Robbie, if you get bad smells in the bathroom from a cross-contaminated galley tank, how come you don't get bad smells in the kitchen from this galley tank? All drains have traps and assuming they aren't leaking, the trapped water should block the odors.

We have used the extra twist on gate valve for tank sharing for a long time and never ever had any bad smells. And don't forget that while it is a twist on connection, a liberal dose of ABS glue will prevent it from twisting off.

Carl n Susan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2007, 04:58 AM   #11
simonsrf
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3120
Carl,

Good point. I guess I never thought about it, just remember that we had the smells after equalizing the tanks several times. The smell could be coming from the trap being emptied while traveling, but not sure there is that much disruption while moving. It also could be a bad check valve in the bathroom…I just don’t know for sure. I did use plenty of bleach to kill the smell in all of the traps, and that worked immediately.

We haven’t had any smelly problems since we quit equalizing the tanks, go figure.

As far as gluing the gate valve on, I would worry about being able to get it off when it is ready to be replaced…do you use a glue that can be broken? Mine is pretty loose, I just remember to give the gate valve a full turn each time I hook up a sewer hose.

Old 11-01-2007, 06:34 AM   #12
VanMan
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9
I bet a couple of self tapping screws would hold it in place and it still be removable/replacable!
VanMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2007, 10:13 AM   #13
The Oldguard
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2625
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Carl n Susan

O.K. Robbie, if you get bad smells in the bathroom from a cross-contaminated galley tank, how come you don't get bad smells in the kitchen from this galley tank? All drains have traps and assuming they aren't leaking, the trapped water should block the odors.

We have used the extra twist on gate valve for tank sharing for a long time and never ever had any bad smells. And don't forget that while it is a twist on connection, a liberal dose of ABS glue will prevent it from twisting off.

I just used plumber’s tape on one corner fastener of the twist-on valve, and then mount to frame with a self tapping screw then I can remove and replace at anytime I want…
O and it won’t come off going down the road… it’s been on the 3400RL unit for over two years and one year on our 3295RK…
The Oldguard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2007, 11:32 PM   #14
Glenn and Lorraine
Montana Master

M.O.C. #420
Mine is the twist on type and to keep it in place I merely placed a 4 inch hose clamp over the clips and tightened it down good and tight. It can't come off. The glue on type become permanent and can be a real problem trying to replace later.
Glenn and Lorraine is offline   Reply With Quote