Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 02-16-2006, 09:18 PM   #1
Montana Sky
Montana Master

M.O.C. #889
Satellite Dome?

I am curios to hear from those of you who have a satellite dome on your roof. Which brand did you choose to go with, KVH TracVision or Kingdome? I am looking into this and at the moment leaning toward the KVH TracVision dome. Any thoughts??

Montana Sky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2006, 01:24 AM   #2
keepontruckin
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #2484
Send a message via MSN to keepontruckin
Dave,

I went with the MOVIN-VIEW stationary dome and signed on with DirectTV. It is wonderful! Power on switch and it locates the signal. I haven't had any trouble picking up the signal in any campground, including the wooded areas in northern Montana. CW has them on sale again. When I want took hook up to cable for the local channels, I just turn off the receiver and I have cable reception. It raises your overall height from 12'9" to approximately 13'4".

I have 2 receivers, 1 living room, 1 bedroom. Good luck with your choice!
keepontruckin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2006, 02:41 AM   #3
ken
Montana Master

M.O.C. #345
We went with the Tracvision that CW sells and have had no problems with it. They ran the wires down thru the top ref vent so no holes had to be drilled in the roof. It is adapted for both Dish and Direct TV. The height is about the same at 13' 3" overall on our 2005 3475. Since it seeks out both satellites, sometimes it will lock onto Dish and I have to hit the reset button and it goes to Direct TV which we have. Great investment. We added the extra channels that we see in the Washington DC area onto Direct TV so I can get the local news (always bad) and weather anywhere.
ken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2006, 02:58 AM   #4
dsprik
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4282
I mentioned this briefly to my local dealer, and he said they install a lot of these domes. He didn't elaborate what system was most popular, and I didn't ask (about the system used, or the cost), as it was a off the wall question while we were focused on another topic.

I would like to hear about costs for these systems: install, monthly service chgs, etc.

Thanks
dsprik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2006, 02:26 PM   #5
dyna_rider98
Established Member

M.O.C. #3071
I went with Trackvision mainly becasuse I had purchased it for a motorhome. I traded motorhome on Montana. I mounted mine in front of the bedroom vent height of rig still about 12"9" as I can still clear my 13" door. I have Dish Network and it works great.
dyna_rider98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2006, 04:24 PM   #6
Imp
Montana Master

M.O.C. #956
We have a Kingdome and Dish Network. Have not had any problems getting a signal and it has worked well for us. We call customer service when we have changed areas and are going to be there a while, to have them change to the local channels. We are not hooked up to a phone line.
Myrna
Imp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2006, 09:04 PM   #7
Montana Sky
Montana Master

M.O.C. #889
Thanks to all for your replies. I am still thinking if I want to spend the money on this or just bank it for down the road on something else. Thanks again!
Montana Sky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2006, 03:55 AM   #8
Montana_4944
Established Member

M.O.C. #4944
Myrna, We have the Kingdom with Direct TV and can,t get our locals. We have thought about Dish. Do you have to switch Satelites to get your locals? And is that a hastle? Hope all is well. Are you still in the RGV. Sue
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Imp

We have a Kingdome and Dish Network. Have not had any problems getting a signal and it has worked well for us. We call customer service when we have changed areas and are going to be there a while, to have them change to the local channels. We are not hooked up to a phone line.
Myrna
Montana_4944 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2006, 04:27 AM   #9
Charlie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3029
Sue-
I have Dish Network from a dish mounted on a tripod. The setup should make no difference how you receive your satellite signals. As far as being able to receive locals, the satellite companies have not made available universal the local channels in some time. The system that they use now is called "Spot Beaming". This means exactly what it says, there is limited coverage from a particular area.

To further explain this, my locals come from Houston and the spot beam only covers an area of about 300 mile radius from Houston. Currently I am in Mission, Tx. at Bentsen Palm Village and can pick up Houston. To the east I can pick up Houston almost to Baton Rouge, La. To the north, I lose the Houston Channels at the Texas/Oklahoma line.

From what I have read here on the forum, those with satellite systems that full time make an agreement with the provider to pick up the feeds of the major networks, usually from New York or LA, this way they can view the programs , but not necessarily the local weather or news, for this they rely on the RV antenna.

A friend has Direct and when we go to Oklahoma together he has the same problem as I. Hope this explains your problem.
Charlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2006, 10:21 AM   #10
Imp
Montana Master

M.O.C. #956
We do not change satellites to get the local. We have the very basic package from Dish and we are on Satellite 119 transponder 19. The local channels are set up for us by Dish Net customer service. When we go to a different area, we go into set up to change the zip code. you go into peak angles and change the zip code to get the correct Azimuth Angle, Elevation Ange and Skew. Then you make sure you are on the right satellite and transponder and push the button...it automatically looks for the satellite and lets you know when it is found and the strength etc. If we want the local channels we call customer service. Otherwise we just watch what else is available (like CNN or Weather channel) when we are travelling between places. You can also hook up to cable if it is available. Hope this isn't too confusing.

We only stayed a week in RGV, we are back in Bastrop. Boy is it cold today...staying in the 30's. 2 days ago it was 85.
Myrna
Imp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2006, 01:38 PM   #11
dsprik
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4282
I think it's cold everywhere right now. Oops - watch this... I get "It's not cold here!" comments.

It seems that the best setup is a dome with Dish Net, and an extra tripod, if needed. Is that too much to be hauling around for a FTer, though?
dsprik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2006, 06:47 AM   #12
Montana_4944
Established Member

M.O.C. #4944
On Direct TV for some reason we can't even get our locals in Spokane but we understand we can fill out a form that truckers use and pick east or west coast channels. We are trying to decide if we should stick with Direct or go with Dish. It would be nice to get ABC, NBC, and CBS when we travel. We do use cable when we can. There has been some sports and special shows we have missed without those channels. My brother has a Kingdom with dish network and has to change satellites to get local. Not sure I want to do that.
Montana_4944 is offline   Reply With Quote