Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Tow Vehicles & Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 03-13-2010, 03:06 AM   #1
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
Bed Saver, or Bedsaver..

I know we may have beaten this to death, but we have new members all the time. I recommend a Bedsaver, just good insurance.
http://s112.photobucket.com/albums/n...t=4baff7f3.pbw
I adapted mine to my Air ride hitch, it has 2 airbags, very smooth ride. I used a couple of air bags under my wheel, wasn't thinking or looking and when I inflated the bags, rig rolled back.
Bedsaver to the rescue. Had to go in and change my pants...

Ozz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2010, 03:24 AM   #2
Jolu
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7919
I will second that. The bed saver is good insurance and peace of mind for under $200. I have observed two units that dropped on the bed of the truck. The sound alone makes you cringe.
Jolu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2010, 03:32 AM   #3
NCFischers
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8728
Send a message via Yahoo to NCFischers
Cheapest insurance you can buy. Don't leave home without it.
NCFischers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2010, 04:58 AM   #4
radioattic
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #9967
My next RV investment. So far I've been really really careful, but I can't think of too many things that are both so easily done wrong and so easily prevented.

Thanks for the testimony.
radioattic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2010, 05:20 AM   #5
Art-n-Marge
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9257
Send a message via MSN to Art-n-Marge Send a message via Yahoo to Art-n-Marge
Another good reason for adding scissor chocks or roto-chocks to the list, too. These type of chocks are "active" meaning if set correctly and firmly they are always working. They are not impacted by the wheels on levelers. I also have the passive on-the-ground chocks but being passive they do not work when gravity is overridden.

But the bed-saver is a must for the times that one 'forgets' to set the chocks correctly if you get caught not thinking, not looking or being interrupted. It's happened to me but in that case I just happened to have the landing legs down. Next time I might not be so lucky. Unfortunately, my list is longer than my wallet is deep and a TPMS is ahead on the list.

Ozz, I'm real glad to hear you were wearing pants. Thanks for the post.
Art-n-Marge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2010, 05:26 AM   #6
clarkandsheila
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #7994
Bed savers, chocks, TPMS'S, guages, ????? More things to buy than the wallet will withstand.

Keeps ones mind active though trying to outsmart where that # 1 on the list will land. It's like a large puzzle. We all hope we don't do something foolish first.
But it's fun.
clarkandsheila is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2010, 11:52 AM   #7
Bill-N-Donna
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7110

Good investment; most people IMHO wait until after they needed it to get it!

Old 03-13-2010, 12:00 PM   #8
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
Ha! I just know myself, I am very honest about knowing I can, shall we say; 'drift off mentally' at times...
Trying to think of all the set-up and break-down of travels. Glad I bought the insurance. My friends up here close to us, did it.
Old 03-14-2010, 04:53 AM   #9
randye
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7139
I have a problem with the bed saver. I recieved mine I opened it expecteing to take inside an hour to install. The bolt pattern did not fit my Hitch. I bought it from JC Witney because it was affordtable. I called Blue Ox at first they wanted to help me. I sent a picture of my hitch a Husky 16K. After about a week they emailed that I would have to have holes drilled in my plates. I have a hard time believing that they don't have one with the right bolt pattern for my hitch. Since it is advertized for the Husky 16K. Thier are 4 bolts and even if I have the hole drilled I will have to buy longer bolts and the lower ones look like I would need a spacer to hold it tight a the bottom. I used to have all the tools drill press etc. Not now on the road, I guess I am a little upset with Blue Ox. Thanks for letting me vent.
randye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2010, 05:10 AM   #10
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
No problem, anytime. For some reason I cannot remember, I had to modify mine.
On the road you do have to be resourceful, I use muffler and welding shops to help me. A Plasma cutter at a welding shop can do your holes. I like to use cardboard to make patterns.
Good luck. If you are by K.C. Mo. I can help.
Old 03-14-2010, 06:41 AM   #11
randye
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7139
Thanks OZ No we are in Casa Grande, AZ So there are many muffler shops and such. A cardboard template is what I used when I built my last Street Rod a 40 ford deluxe cp. I will work on it next week, first the JT Strong ARM Stabalizers. We don't leave here until the first part of April. Have a great Sunday.
randye is offline   Reply With Quote