Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Montana Problems, Problem Solving & Technical Help
Click Here to Login

Old 04-09-2005, 03:13 PM   #1
carlson
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #3268
Plastic Swing Arm Broke.

The plastic swing arm that holds the wires going between the trailer and slide has broken on the slide end.
Has anyone else run into this?
Right now I have it wire tied up.

carlson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2005, 09:56 AM   #2
Roman4
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #3018
We had the same issue: The "flexible" plastic supports for the electrical wiring harnesses under both main slideouts broke within a month of putting our new Model 3475 in service. The unit is currently at the dealership for that and other repairs. The service writer told me that they had not seen that particular problem before. [I was surprised by that comment as we had two of them break within a few days of each other on our second trip.]

Until we were able to get back to the dealership for repair, we also wired them up temporarily and watched them very carefully when extending and retracting slides.

Roman 4
2005 Montana 3475RL
2005 Ford F-350 PSD
Roman4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2005, 01:45 AM   #3
BillyRay
Montana Master

M.O.C. #607
i haven't heard of it yet nor seen it, but will have to look at it now.
BillyRay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2005, 04:14 PM   #4
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
I saw those swing arms for the first time at the Tampa Show on the 2005 models and thought I'd think about buying some of those to eliminate the dangling wire syndrome on our 2003 model. Just wondering if anyone else is having problems with them breaking. I also need to examine them more closely as installed on a coach to see how I'd install them on ours.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2005, 06:32 PM   #5
T and J
Established Member

M.O.C. #806
This sounds like one of those "new and improved" ideas. Our 1999 3250rl has a spring mounted at a right angle to the cable and attached with a large wire tie. This keeps enough tension on the cable to keep it up out of harms way. If anyone changes to this method, make sure the cable clamps are tight on both ends or the cable or the wires will be pulled out causing electrical problems and potential for fire or shock hazards. I don't like funerals, so be careful!
Terry
T and J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2005, 01:30 AM   #6
Montana_2785
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #2785
Where is this "swing arm" in relation to the tires? If a tire comes apart, will it take out the arm and cut up the wires?

I ask because I want to run some extra wires into my big slide (with entertainment center) and am trying to figure out the best way to do it. However, I want to take some care to avoid a solution that could be damaged by a tire.

Tires on the rampage are one of my pet peeves with RV's. It is common enough with potentially a lot of damage and no one in the RV industry seems to care.....

I had it happen 3 times with my old TT and our Monty's previous owner had it happen once.

Eric
Montana_2785 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2005, 04:35 PM   #7
Roman4
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #3018
Eric: The "swing arms" on our unit are near the rear of the slides, several feet behind the tires. I suspect, though, that they could be subject to damage if a tire came apart at road speed.

[By the way, I am still not too sure about the proper terminology here. Our service writer called the plastic things "looms." I was told today that the technician called them "quick-draws" when he placed an order for the replacements. None of those terms strikes me as very descriptive of the items. I would describe them as flexible, flat plastic (possibly ABS plastic) or hard-rubber items approximately 4 inches tall by 1/8 inch thick by five feet or so long. One end is attached to the side wall of the slide while the other end is attached to the frame. The various electrical cables are supported at intervals by this thing. The thing bows or flexes as the slide retracts, but mine both broke near the attachment to the slide wall.]

Based on my experience, I would advise caution before installing this system if your unit is not already configured with them. It could be that we were the unlucky recipients of a bad batch of the things, or they may have been re-designed or re-formulated since our unit was built. Nevertheless, failure of both of these things on our RV within a few weeks of being placed into service tends to undermine my confidence level in the design. You should, of course, form your own conclusions.

Roman 4

2005 Montana 3475RL
2005 Ford F-350 PSD
Roman4 is offline   Reply With Quote