Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 03-19-2019, 05:27 PM   #1
piperterri
Established Member

M.O.C. #23409
Unsure how to help husband hitch up

Hi everyone. My husband retired 2 weeks ago so now the fun really begins. We are brand new to RVing. My problem is I have trouble helping him back the truck up to hitch the 5th wheel. He has never gotten "short tempered" with me but it might only be a matter of time. HAHA. Does anyone have any helpful tips for me?? This issue is becoming very stressful for me. Thanks for all your help. Terri

piperterri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2019, 06:31 PM   #2
Recumbent
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10457
I recommend the Hand Signals Class at the Fall Montana Rally.
Recumbent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2019, 06:47 PM   #3
Vet4jdc
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #23051
I've been backing up to and hitching to a fifth wheel since 2013. Not once have I needed the assistance of my wife. (just sayin)

What does your husband want your help with?
Old 03-19-2019, 06:51 PM   #4
GAinaMontana
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #20747
Don't give hand signals, give arm signals. If you cannot see him in the truck mirrors then he cannot see you. First things I tried to impress on the DW when we first started. Also 2x on course at the national rally.
GAinaMontana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2019, 06:51 PM   #5
BB_TX
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6433
I am tall enough to look out my rear window. I painted a small vertical white stripe on the front edge of the 5th wheel hitch plate. And another small white line on the front edge of the pin box. Easy to watch out the rear window and line up the white markers as I back. And even then it doesn’t have to be exactly perfect. Hitch will self align if close.

I back until the pin box is near the hitch plate. Then get out and raise or lower the trailer until the pin box plate is just slightly lower than the hitch plate so that when I continue backing, the pin box will ride up onto the hitch plate. That ensures a good hitching and no chance of “high hitching”. Again I can look out the rear window and watch the pin box ride up on the hitch and (with the rear window open) hear it clank as it latches.

You DH may or may not be that tall.
BB_TX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2019, 07:07 PM   #6
DQDick
Site Team

M.O.C. #11455
I use a pillow to sit on only for hitching while my wiife adjusts the height of the pinbox. Then and when we are parking she calls me on her cell phone and we talk back and forth thru the radio of the truck.
DQDick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2019, 07:51 PM   #7
Vet4jdc
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #23051
Quote:
Originally Posted by BB_TX View Post
I am tall enough to look out my rear window. I painted a small vertical white stripe on the front edge of the 5th wheel hitch plate. And another small white line on the front edge of the pin box. Easy to watch out the rear window and line up the white markers as I back. And even then it doesn’t have to be exactly perfect. Hitch will self align if close.

I back until the pin box is near the hitch plate. Then get out and raise or lower the trailer until the pin box plate is just slightly lower than the hitch plate so that when I continue backing, the pin box will ride up onto the hitch plate. That ensures a good hitching and no chance of “high hitching”. Again I can look out the rear window and watch the pin box ride up on the hitch and (with the rear window open) hear it clank as it latches.

You DH may or may not be that tall.
I do this!
Old 03-19-2019, 08:07 PM   #8
AZ Traveler
Site Team

M.O.C. #20477
I always hitch solo - it is easy and doesn't stress my wife.

"Life is too short to stay indoors, enjoy the ride!"
AZ Traveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2019, 08:54 PM   #9
1retired06
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12156
My wife is essential in helping me back up, but have never needed her help to hitch/unhitch.
F350 crew cab dually 6.7
1retired06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2019, 04:34 AM   #10
Loneoak
Montana Master

M.O.C. #19514
My hubby can see the hitch because we have an eight foot box. If he had the tonneau cover on, but folded up, he used a strip he put on the tonneau cover to match up with the hitch. That was when we had a standard hitch.

We changed to a PullRite hitch last year, so now I help him drive under the ball with the funnel thing. I make sure he has the window down so he can hear me. He has to be within and inch or two.

2017 High Country 305RL
2015 Ford F-250 Super Duty
Loneoak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2019, 04:51 AM   #11
MidMOTraveler
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #20688
My wife backs under the hitch !
I do the hook up.
If we’re parking in a tight spot we use the phones, using only right / left for the direction the rear needs to swing. Of course occasionally there is the high pitched STOP! Then I get out and look.
2017 F450 DRW KR 4x4
MidMOTraveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2019, 05:43 AM   #12
timandsusan
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5165
X2 in BB TX! I did the same thing to my king pin and hitch in 2012. I make sure my wife is safely away from the trailer and truck--that helps me the most. On backing up, my wife
is a great safety lookout--never hit another trailer or tree or other fixed object in 13 years! I also get out and look many times with backing into a tight spot.
timandsusan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2019, 06:49 AM   #13
JandC
Montana Master

M.O.C. #13272
When we had our fiver I did the "mechanics" of backing up and hooking up. My DW was my second pair of eyes. She stayed at a safe distance and monitored the process, tailgate down....etc....cord plugged in....etc....brake check.....etc.....

When backing we started out only using extremely simple hand signals like her pointing left, right, or holding up her hand for stop. We always used our phones and just communicated.

We did it the exact same every time and through 3 more RVs we still do it the exact same to this day.
Old 03-20-2019, 07:16 AM   #14
Hawkpat
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #11612
My wife backs up the truck and I monitor the height of the 5th wheel. She is perfect every time! I don’t know what trick she uses but she always lines up correct. And there is some play as hitch will align.
Hawkpat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2019, 08:02 AM   #15
rslopez65
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #19789
I also back up the truck onto the hitch and my DH stays out of it until I have it aligned properly. Being short, I do have to lower the back seat on the driver's side to see the hitch plate but the whole process is pretty easy. Last winter, the tonneau cover had snow and ice on it which made it roll up a bit higher than usual. I couldn't see over it so we had to unroll it and clean it off. Took me a while to figure out why I couldn't see what I was doing.
Old 03-20-2019, 09:47 AM   #16
Montana Man
Montana Master

M.O.C. #21963
Be patient, practice, and it will work out fine. Don't forget to look up for trees and other obstacles and always be in sight of the driver in the rear view mirrors.
Old 03-20-2019, 10:14 AM   #17
jeffba
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20753
DW takes dog for a walk while I hitch. Peace in the family and no witnesses.

I am able to push myself up with left foot so no pillow needed (NOT the right foot) and get close. Tehn use bed camera to finish hitching. I also set pinbox height a bit low to allow it to ride up on to hitch
2018 Ford F-350 Lariat CCLB PSD DRW KJ5CQH
jeffba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2019, 10:20 AM   #18
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Helen can hitch and unhitch and drive as well as anyone.Rv'ing is a partnership and both should be able to do all the tasks and anyone male or female can learn how to do them.

Helen usually backs the truck into the hitch and I assist. When unhitching I usually raise the RV off the hitch and Helen drives the truck out from under it. We are equally proficient in both tasks. Helen usually does all the backing and I do the spotting. We share the driving when on a road trip all of this makes for a pleasant trip.

I was a trainer for school bus drivers most of which are female.The most common thing i heard from females was my Husband, Boyfriend, brother, ect told me I would never be able to drive tis big bus which was complete BS.

We have a ladies driving school at the fall rally.The ladies can drive these things.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2019, 10:27 AM   #19
daveinaz
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #23256
This can be a touchy subject. When I drove a semi, unless I knew that the spotter was experienced, I preferred to get out and look myself. We even had that decal on our mirror -- GOAL (Get Out And Look).

Numerous times at truck stops I saw drivers back into other rigs or stationary objects because they were relying on someone else to guide them into a spot.

As for hitching up, I lower the tailgate, back the truck up within ten inches or less from the 5er hitch, then get out and go to the rig and adjust the landing gear to hook up. From the side of the 5er I can eyeball the 5er hitch and I raise/lower it until it is about 1/2" above the 5th wheel plate. Then I just back the truck up into the 5er and she locks up just fine. Same thing for unhooking. Once I get to where I want to unhook, I unplug the 7 pin and safety cable, then start raising the 5er until I can see a 1/2" gap between the pin and plate, then pull out from under it.

IMO, trying to hook/unhook with her assistance would be more frustrating.

I do use her backing up though -- primarily when I am backing straight in and she let's me know how much farther to come back. She knows to be in my mirrors so I can see her. I don't have her tell me how much to cut the trailer or stuff like that. Her signals are pretty much either "come back" or "stop".

Dave in AZ
2008 Montana 3400RL
2008 Dodge Ram 3500 Diesel Dually
daveinaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2019, 05:54 PM   #20
timandsusan
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5165
Great responses! I am sure that all of the responders do this hitching, unhitching and backing up very SLOWLY! No need to rush. Enjoyed the responses.
timandsusan is offline   Reply With Quote