Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Sitting around the Campfire
Click Here to Login

Old 12-02-2011, 12:50 PM   #1
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
100 MPH winds? Is everyone OK?

We got a taste of the recent strong California winds here at Havasu, (just 1/4 miles from California) we were terrified night before last. The Monte rocked violently back and forth sideways, we hardly slept, everything outside blew away. Scary stuff. Hope we don't have to go through that again. Ever.
We saw that North of Salt Lake there were 100 MPH winds.
Hope our MOC friends are safe.

Ozz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2011, 12:55 PM   #2
bob n pam
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2121
We just got a little of it in Yuma, but nothing here in Casa Grande last night.
bob n pam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2011, 02:29 PM   #3
ljensen
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #8384
This made me wonder I usually do not put supports under my slides of the 3400.when I stay 4 months in Arizona. I wonder in that situation WINDY if they would help the rocking or do damage to the slide supports due to the High wind and violent rocking. Just a thought what do you all think?
ljensen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2011, 02:56 PM   #4
helmick
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8890
ljensen
I would think that if the trailer would move in the wind and the slides did not somthing would have to give. I would rather have the slides move with the trailer.
helmick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2011, 03:12 PM   #5
Weldon
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #11213
You can get slide supports that are spring loaded & will not lock where they can collapse.
Weldon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2011, 03:40 PM   #6
moutard2
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10948
Calm winds throughout the storm here in Rancho California, Aguanga, CA (35 or so crow miles south of Palm Springs)! If we hadn't seen the weather reports we wouldn't have known it was happening.
moutard2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2011, 04:34 PM   #7
drsmart
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #10690
Ozz. Hope you and Sue are Ok. Maybe just sleep deprived. Did yo put the slides in or leave them out?

Dave
drsmart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2011, 05:01 PM   #8
8.1al
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1658
We are in Pahrump and had some of the worst wind we have ever been in and it just went on and on
8.1al is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2011, 02:30 AM   #9
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by drsmart

Ozz. Hope you and Sue are Ok. Maybe just sleep deprived. Did yo put the slides in or leave them out?

Dave
Yes, we are OK, thanks. We left the slides out, the wind hit us about 1:00A.M. we really didn't know what to do, I thought about backing the truck up and hooking up, but Sue didn't want me going out there. (I didn't want to go out either..)
Old 12-03-2011, 02:43 AM   #10
Waynem
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7673
I always put our slides in, either in the 3400rl or now in the SOB. It is just something I heard one should do. If you have stabilizers they should be down and tight.

Consider if you have a 3 slide on one side and the wind is on the opposite side. Once the wind starts to tip it it makes the 3 slid side weight heavy, just my thought. I think you can Google Slides in or out during winds and get some results.

Jim, I feel your worried mind. We were 1 mile from a hurricane even after we evacuated the area. Winds were just above the Cat1 stage and trees were falling, and house(rv) a rocking, and it is scary

There are parts of the left coast that had winds at 150 mph. That is Cat 4 stage of a hurricane. I never knew that winds could be that strong other than a hurricane or tornado, but what you were in were "just winds."

Happy that you are safe. (You can change shorts now.)
Waynem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2011, 06:17 AM   #11
pineranch
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9765
We had winds 50 gust to 80 this summer in Neb. around 03:00. We quickly put the slides in and I believe that saved the slide toppers as they were really flapping. We made a vow to always put things away before bed so we could quickly react to bad weather. That vow didn't last one night as we were caught off guard the next night with 30 gust to 50 winds. I guess we just do the best we can and press on with the results of the situation.
Mike
pineranch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2011, 03:38 PM   #12
Art-n-Marge
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9257
Send a message via MSN to Art-n-Marge Send a message via Yahoo to Art-n-Marge
Living in Southern California for over 40 years, strong winds are something I pay attention to. The direction of the wind has a lot to do with a problem. Of course, the awnings should be retracted, but if the landing legs are down and the rear stabilizers are down, the trailer will rock like a sun of a gun but should remain upright. We rarely get hurricane or tornadoes so I'm sure these kinds of winds are worse.

I'm not sure hooking up the truck would have improved anything since the landing gear provides two points of support where a truck's hitch provides only one and may take away from the landing gear. I have seen too many videos of trailers being lifted clean off the 5er hitch if the wind blows hard enough and the landing gear and rear stabilizers are not down.

I think the 5er pin is designed to secure things horizontally not vertically so hitching up may not help.

And even though I think slide supports would help "widen" the amount of support for a trailer, I'm not sure with stong winds these might cause more problems, spring-loaded or not. These aren't supposed to be mounted tightly so the rocking of a trailer in the wind could cause some annoying "hammerin," and potential damage as the trailer rocks back and forth.

So far I have seen trailers lifted off 5ers pins, travel trailers falling over and taking the truck with it, and my brother-in-law driving home on a divided interstate witnessed an oncoming semi truck's trailer lifted off its pin and the trailer then doing somersaults across his path until it settled on the other side of his lanes and rested in a depression that paralled his side of the road.

Yup, even non-hurricane or tornado force winds can create some problems.
Art-n-Marge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2011, 01:51 AM   #13
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
Art, my thinking on hooking up the truck, was just to add a point of contact, not retract the landing legs.
The wind is back... not as strong, but still rocking the trailers, gusting with strong winds here.
Old 12-05-2011, 04:44 AM   #14
subra1228
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #10766
Another wind storm is starting for today through tomorrow here in the Coachella Valley. Batten' down the hatches and getting ready for more rockin-and-a-rolling!
subra1228 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2011, 07:47 AM   #15
Mrs. CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6337
I prefer slides in for the duration, CountryGuy sometimes does not agree.

That said, we are at Gulf State Park where down on site 457 a few years back a single blast of who knows how strong a wind took a Montana a flipped it over onto its roof. MOCers John & Donna, aka OntMont were on site 459 not 40 feet from them. John and Donna did not flip, but, if I remember correctly their Montana did move a bit off the leveling boards. John still has a few items he was allowed to salvage off that flipped over Montana, which was totaled by the way.

Yep, my vote will pretty much be, SLIDES IN, sprinkled with some heavy praying.
Mrs. CountryGuy is offline   Reply With Quote