Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Montana Problems, Problem Solving & Technical Help
Click Here to Login

Old 04-05-2019, 05:47 PM   #1
JEROME
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #22972
Malfunction leveling System 3027RL 2019 Need Help

We have a 2019 Montana Anniversary and the first time we carried it out the hydraulic levers quit working. Carried it to the dealership and they replaced the pump. Picked it up carried it home and it's quit working again. After we disconnect the tow vehicle the front legs will raise and then we pushed automatic level, it retracted the front legs all the way down and after a few minutes an indicator showed that there was a malfunction and read "time out" The other four leveling legs did not move. Any help would be appreciated.
Thank you Jerome & Judy

JEROME is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2019, 06:51 PM   #2
rohrmann
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12947
The only suggestion I have is, make sure the front of the rig is above level before hitting the Auto level switch. If it is below level, the system will be confused and not function correctly. When you drop the front jacks and get the truck out from under it, manually raise the rig so it is obviously high, then try the Auto level button.
rohrmann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2019, 08:00 PM   #3
davemitchell59
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #23524
The only thing I would add is that we always manually "ground" all of our pads before hitting the auto level. It sounds like you're hitting auto level with only the front jacks down if I read the post correctly.

I've had a couple of unsuccessful leveling attempts, but never has it dropped the front that low. Doing a little manual manipulation and hitting auto level again usually resolves my issues.
2017 Montana 3731FL
davemitchell59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2019, 09:59 PM   #4
Carl n Susan
Site Team

M.O.C. #4831
We have one of the first Level-Ups from 2011. We always unhook from the truck and then hit "Auto level". There is no need to "ground" the back jacks first. The system does this once the front jacks have done their down and up to level dance.

I recall having the problem with the front legs going all the way down and then timing out. As I recall, I had to level the RV manually, and then go through the process to reset the "home" position (on/off, front up 10 times, back up 10 times and follow the messages).

Last week I was parked on a significant slope (low in the rear). "Auto Level" worked fine even though the front legs only had about 1" of extension.

Carl n Susan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2019, 12:15 AM   #5
Texan
Montana Master

M.O.C. #19873
I've never had to ground all my pads to level even though the 6 pt leveling can be moody at times. I always raise my rv just off the hitch and drive out from under it then hit auto. If you do have a problem then I would probably half-way level manually then go to auto. Every once in a while it doesn't hurt to reset the system doing as Carl does by the prompts given on the screen. I check my screen frequently to see how level I am and it always says 0.00 front to back and 0.01 side to side. This is the best it will get which is nearly perfect.
Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2019, 05:13 AM   #6
jeffba
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20753
I have learned the hard way to always test out thoroughly at the dealer anything they have worked on before leaving.

I think Bob and Carl have you one the right track. Make sure you are a little "nose high" before hitting auto level and if they fails you may have re-calibrate.
2018 Ford F-350 Lariat CCLB PSD DRW KJ5CQH
jeffba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2019, 06:20 AM   #7
MidMOTraveler
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #20688
Check to see if the rear is lower than the front , it can’t be too far from level.
I have this issue at home parking spot I built.
My gravel pad is low in the back and front would drop but couldn’t get low enough. Had to set back on the truck and dig out about 4” of rock. Now she almost gets to the frame but then starts doing its thing.
Spring project is now to add height to back of my parking pad.
2017 F450 DRW KR 4x4
MidMOTraveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2019, 07:11 AM   #8
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
We only use the auto level on our 6 point system on our 13 3402. We have never had a system failure.It is critical that the front of the RV be higher than the rear when the level is started. We lower the front jacks manually to take the stress off the pin, move the truck forward off the pin make sure the front of the RV is higher than the rear and hit auto level. It is interesting to note that the RV must be comparatively level before the auto level is started. The jacks only retract so far (look it up)
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2019, 09:24 AM   #9
davemitchell59
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #23524
I learned something too in this thread. I'll try auto leveling without grounding the rear pads on our next adventure. Nose high was new to me too.

Our system always seems to take the nose high during the auto level process and then back down. I'll be curious to see if it works differently starting a little high without the rear pads down.
2017 Montana 3731FL
davemitchell59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2019, 12:21 PM   #10
Rondo
Site Team

M.O.C. #7560
I never ground all the pad when unhooking and leveling. I do a richfaa does and take the unit off the truck with a wood jack pad I built under each of the front levelers, pull the truck out and hit "auto level" and the system does the rest. I have wooden jack pads under each level-up to keep the metal pads off the ground/gravel/blacktop or concrete anyway and multiple levels of the wood pads incase I have low spots on the site. Never had a problem with the system except for the monitor itself and that got replaced by Lippert.
Rondo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2019, 01:35 PM   #11
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
There are many thing the "book" does not tell you or make clear that is what this site is for.
Old 04-06-2019, 01:53 PM   #12
CaptnJohn
Montana Master

M.O.C. #19865
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rondo View Post
I never ground all the pad when unhooking and leveling. I do a richfaa does and take the unit off the truck with a wood jack pad I built under each of the front levelers, pull the truck out and hit "auto level" and the system does the rest. I have wooden jack pads under each level-up to keep the metal pads off the ground/gravel/blacktop or concrete anyway and multiple levels of the wood pads incase I have low spots on the site. Never had a problem with the system except for the monitor itself and that got replaced by Lippert.
I carried a 2X10 with a piece of 1/2" plywood for each of the 6 legs. Before my last trip I bought and installed Snap Pads. Installation was simply dropping the legs after hitting the pad rim with dish soap. Now those pieces of wood are in the back of the truck and will be used in the campfire tomorrow night. Veterans get a 10% discount as well.
CaptnJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2019, 02:54 PM   #13
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
If the Rv is not nose high when you hit the auto level the font jacks will most likely retract all the way down. If that happens you know you were not nose high to begin with.
Old 04-06-2019, 08:51 PM   #14
tooth ferry
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #17209
Leveling system problem

Tell Jeffbaa. He says Montana hydraulics are not a problem. It probably got an infection from a High Country.
tooth ferry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2019, 09:46 PM   #15
rohrmann
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12947
We pulled into a site at Braunig Lake RV Resort south of San Antonio a couple days ago that happened to be low at the front end of the rig, and without thinking, hit the Auto Level button, and the system choked with an error. I went to manual mode, raised the front of the rig even higher so it really was above level, and again hit the Auto Level button, and the system leveled the rig just fine.
rohrmann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2019, 04:10 AM   #16
jeffba
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20753
Quote:
Originally Posted by tooth ferry View Post
Tell Jeffbaa. He says Montana hydraulics are not a problem. It probably got an infection from a High Country.
issue is not with MHC it is with Lippert Ground Control electric levelers.

Since Lippert also makes the hydraulic ones it stands to reason that there will be issues with hydraulic ones.

Electric levelers are too problematic, and complex for RV tech to fix.
2018 Ford F-350 Lariat CCLB PSD DRW KJ5CQH
jeffba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2019, 07:22 AM   #17
ChuckS
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20949
You do not need to ground the rear levelers before selecting auto level..

The first step during auto level is the nose will dip and then raise till front to back is level...

Since the mid and rear levelers are not extending it sounds to me your issue is with the REMOTE rear sensor that is mounted under neath the colorplast usually just aft of rear axle..in the center...

Normally this would throw an error saying “remote rear sensor”....

But.. I’d go up inton front storage compartment and disconnect and reconnect all plugs on the ground control module ...

Then I’d do a manual level and lastly accomplish a recalibration on the auto level..

Then raise rear levelers and drop nose a bit and try auto level again and see what happens...

If rear levelers don’t come down at all...mid and rear.. but are working in manual mode after this then there is most likely an issue with either remote rear sensor or connection to it.
ChuckS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2019, 07:35 AM   #18
ChuckS
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20949
This may help you better understand the wiring and control of the Lippert level up system...

Remote rear sensor is circled in yellow...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DB2F0681-3173-439C-BF6C-3EEF53BE2CF5.jpg
Views:	331
Size:	132.2 KB
ID:	3432  
ChuckS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2019, 08:49 AM   #19
mazboy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9561
call lippert and work through your issues with the tech.
process should be:
1. put front legs down
2. move truck out of way...and other things
3. hit auto
4. should go to level

good luck
mazboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2019, 01:44 PM   #20
skypilot
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1846
Hmmm - I have found that if I start with the nose at or above level, the coach tries to level off of it and I have ended up with tires off the ground in places that it shouldn't have been necessary. I now clear the truck completely (didn't go out far enough one time and the coach when leveling hit it - luckily I caught it before damage to either was done.)

In any case, I now take the front legs almost all the way down and hit auto level. The system will raise the front legs until mostly level front to back, then drop the DS and ODS center and rear legs (6 pt system). At that time it will level side to side and make minor adjustments front to back. Has worked this way for a couple of years now.

One last thing, I do put wood blocks under all landing pads. Have had a couple of occasions where, after leveling and a bit of time, the smaller pads on the jacks have sunk into the ground bringing the coach off level. There are things called snap-pads and other larger landing pads out on the market but I've found that a 2X12X12 inches square has met our needs at minimal cost.

Best to all.
skypilot is offline   Reply With Quote