Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MONTANA OWNERS CLUB COMMUNITY > New Member Introductions
Click Here to Login

Old 12-16-2006, 04:00 PM   #1
HowardCh
Established Member

M.O.C. #6624
Sticking our heads out and waving Hi.

I'm not sure if this is the correct forum, but since I'm new here it's a good place to start. Peggy and I are looking at a Montana Big Sky, 2003 model, 36ft. Peggy just loves it, it looks like new inside and out. We have a 2001 Dodge diesel dually to pull it with. Just a couple of questions and if this is the wrong forum I do apologize and will be happy to be pointed in the right direction.

I don't have the exact specs as it is used but I'm assuming I do have enough truck to pull it. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

We are trying to get the price down to $22,500 from $25,000 which is way down from the original asking price. We think it is a good price at $25,000 but would like a bit of positive reinforcement.

Are there any specific things we should look for. I've read about the frame problems and it seems the 2003's were prone to cracking. So I intend to look closely to the front cap. Would there be anywhere else to check?

Any and all help would be greatly appreciated and Thanks In Advance. If we get it we'll be hangin' around here a lot.

HowardCh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2006, 04:15 PM   #2
boylanag
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5965
Welcome to the forum, Howard and Peggy. Someone will be along soon with answers to your questions. There is always someone here that's "been there, done that, got the t-shirt" and is very willing to share.
boylanag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2006, 05:00 PM   #3
JH Sechelt
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4976
Hi Howard and Peggy,

Welcome to the MOC. You are at the right place, so ask away. No problem with your truck, it should pull that trailer just fine.
Price ? I can't help you with, we probably live a long way apart. Some one closer to where you live will be along with some opinions.
Regarding cracks, when you learn how to use the search at the top of this page you can go back for a year or so and read all the past posts.
The cracks in the fiberglass is usually around the slides, and watch for the front moldings moving away from the siding (showing and frame problems). Good luck in making your deal.

J&D
JH Sechelt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2006, 02:10 AM   #4
H. John Kohl
Montana Master

M.O.C. #311
Send a message via AIM to H. John Kohl Send a message via MSN to H. John Kohl Send a message via Yahoo to H. John Kohl
Welcome to the family. We sold an 02 Big Sky 3295. Really like the unit but needed the 07 model which is capable of handling colder (zero) temperatures without modifications. The older model was good to about 28 or so. With that being said there are members who have had it those years in zero temperature with addition insulation. We did not notice the frame problem on ours but it was a concern. I towed our Big Sky with on 03 Ram 3500.
Good luck, tow safe, Merry Christmas and Happy New Year
H. John Kohl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2006, 02:11 AM   #5
HowardCh
Established Member

M.O.C. #6624
Thanks for the welcome Carol and Jim.

J&D: I did a Search which is how I found out about the frame problems. I didn't know anything about that until I read about it on here last night. I was reading for an hour or two before I decided to post my questions. There seems to be a wealth of info on this forum.

Right now we have a pop-up: Starcraft 3604 which we really like but Peggy has had a 5er before and we had planned on, at some point anyway, on buying one. This particular model came to our attention so we may be buying it sooner than we had planned on. She is retired and I plan on doing the same in a couple of years. We don't plan on full timing but do plan extended trips of several months at a time.

Thank you both for your replies.
Old 12-17-2006, 02:33 AM   #6
stiles watson
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2059
You didn't say which floor plan the rig is. I have a 2003 3670RL Big Sky. It is everything we wanted and more. Like you, I purchased a per-enjoyed unit. As others have said, you got truck. The price is right at $25,000 if the unit is clean and in good shape. If the unit have been moved around and there is no evidence of frame problems by now, I wouldn't worry about it.

When I got mine, many extras were included, Like washer/dryer, second A/C, and many other little thing that add up to many dollars if you had to outfit your unit. There are some good pre-delivery inspection lists on this site that you might use to reassure yourself about the unit.

stiles watson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2006, 03:49 AM   #7
Glenn and Lorraine
Montana Master

M.O.C. #420
The frame problem was rectified in 2002 so this 2003 should be OK. Just to be on the safe side you can contact Keystone Customer Service at 866 425 4369 and they can answer your concerns about the frame. Just in case have the VIN# handy.
As indicated above, your Dodge should handle the towing without a hitch. Maybe a bad choice of words as your Dodge will definitely need a hitch. Let's reword that...your Dodge should handle the towing without a [s]hitch[/s] problem
Can't help much with the $$$$.
Glenn and Lorraine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2006, 08:45 AM   #8
Cat320
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5751
Can't help with the price other than to suggest you check the various sites with comparable rigs for sale and see how they compare. Your dually is what you need, so you're in good shape there.
Cat320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2006, 09:17 AM   #9
exav8tr
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6333
Howard, I would do a check on the weight capacity of your TV. I had a 2001 Dodge 1 ton dually that I had to trade up to pull a 2006 3400RL. Seems with the rear end I had, I think it was a 3.55:1, I could not pull more than 9200 lbs. I don't know the weight of your trailer, and I don't want to start a riff on here, but I would just check the owners manual of the truck and also the placard on the inside of the glove box for the rear end specs you have. This will give some great info. Then again, I am new to this and may be completely wrong. It is worth a close check though....

Good luck in whatever you decide and you have definitely come to the right place for info on Montanas.
exav8tr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2006, 09:18 AM   #10
exav8tr
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6333
Howard, I would do a check on the weight capacity of your TV. I had a 2001 Dodge 1 ton dually that I had to trade up to pull a 2006 3400RL. Seems with the rear end I had, I think it was a 3.55:1, I could not pull more than 9200 lbs. I don't know the weight of your trailer, and I don't want to start a riff on here, but I would just check the owners manual of the truck and also the placard on the inside of the glove box for the rear end specs you have. This will give some great info. Then again, I am new to this and may be completely wrong. It is worth a close check though....

Good luck in whatever you decide and you have definitely come to the right place for info on Montanas.
Old 12-17-2006, 09:19 AM   #11
exav8tr
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6333

Old 12-17-2006, 09:27 AM   #12
exav8tr
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6333
Whoa, sorry for the triple post....
Old 12-17-2006, 09:49 AM   #13
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
That should be plenty of truck for any Montana. While the main frame problems were corrected by going to a larger frame prior to your 2003 model, the 2003's may still have a problem with the overhang frame. Others described how to find out if it has the problem. Also, if you call customer service at Keytsone and give them the vin they will tell you if it has already been fixed. You may never have the problem. We had it in our 2003 and Keystone fixed it by beefing up the frame in that area. The customer service number is (574) 535.2100 or (866) 425.4369 (Toll Free). Ask for customer service.

Welcome to MOC! This is a great place to learn about your Montana, get answers to questions and problems, and to meet some truly terrific people. The rallies have been a lot of fun so if you get the chance, you'll meet a lot of fine people.

Meanwhile, if you see a Montana/Mountaineer on the road, flash your lights twice. It might be one of us.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2006, 11:05 AM   #14
faeb and genb
Montana Master

M.O.C. #57
We have a 2003 3575 & love it. Haven't had any problems with. Have towed it several thousand miles. I would check it over good & go for it.
Gene
faeb and genb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2006, 11:48 AM   #15
HowardCh
Established Member

M.O.C. #6624
Many thanks to all of you for all your input. I just came back from checking the truck Phil, it gives trailer weight of 13250 so it looks like I'm okay there. It does have the 3.55 gears so I don't know what the difference is.

Stiles & Diana, I'm not sure of the model number, but it has the center island and middle kitchen. We are going back this Thursday to look really close at all the things we need to check out.

Thanks to all of you.
Old 12-17-2006, 12:38 PM   #16
exav8tr
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6333
Howard, maybe cause mine was a 4 X 4 and quad cab, who knows? I have found it is hard to get correct info sometimes, even from Dodge.com, trailerlife, GM or whoever. In any event, glad you checked and are confident you have the correct TV. BTW, there are a couple rigs for sale on this forum also.

Good luck and happy RV'ing.
Old 12-18-2006, 01:01 AM   #17
Joyce H
Montana Master

M.O.C. #266
Howard and Peggy,
Welcome to the MOC. You have found the place to get the answers to your questions. Good luck with the research.
Joyce H is offline   Reply With Quote