Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 10-21-2014, 05:07 AM   #1
Eagleback
Montana Master

M.O.C. #15731
Slide Operation

I do not have an issue but I was wondering how the hydraulic slide operates. I am used to my old electric slide and it was on a dinette and only went out or in. my slides on my 331rlt seem to articulate and lift first then slide in. first the kitchen on the opposite door side then the dinning on the door side. my bedroom slide is standard and only goes out or in but (1) Why do they have one switch operating both slides and (2) is there any schematic or video to show how the operation actually works because the skirting under the unit covers all of the workings. like I said I do not have any issues with the slides but it doesn't mean that I will not have one in the future.

2017, 3500 Ram Big Horn, 4x4, Crew Cab, DRW, Aisin Transmission, 4:10. Curt Q20, 2014 Mountaineer 331 RLT, Sailun's on the rv and truck.
Eagleback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2014, 07:05 AM   #2
1retired06
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12156
Check in the package of documents you got with the unit. You should find a pretty good Lippert manual that shoul help. Has troubleshooting and adjustment guidance. They also have a good website.
F350 crew cab dually 6.7
1retired06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2014, 07:15 AM   #3
jlb27537
Montana Master

M.O.C. #13157
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Eagleback

I do not have an issue but I was wondering how the hydraulic slide operates. I am used to my old electric slide and it was on a dinette and only went out or in. my slides on my 331rlt seem to articulate and lift first then slide in. first the kitchen on the opposite door side then the dinning on the door side. my bedroom slide is standard and only goes out or in but (1) Why do they have one switch operating both slides and

To save money. The 2 hydraulic rams react off each other. You only need one set of hoses to the rear. Only one solenoid to control it. Only one switch. I am sure their research shows most folks put both slides out together. There is a manual set of valves that you can isolate the slides if you only want to extend or retract one slide. (On my '14 3150RL the manual valves are in the door that houses the level up system.)

(2) is there any schematic or video to show how the operation actually works because the skirting under the unit covers all of the workings. like I said I do not have any issues with the slides but it doesn't mean that I will not have one in the future.
When the slides are out, raise the carpet flap on the inner edge of the slide and have some one hit the switch to retract the slide. You can see it climb out of the drop down in the floor so it can come in. Just bump the switch, so you do not get your hand caught/damaged/broke/bloody.....

2012 Ram Laramie 3500 DRW 4x4 3.73 Tow Max Pkg B&W Companion 60 gal RDS aux fuel tank. 2014 Montana 3150RL, 2 A/C's, Leather, 6 Point Jacks, Splendede WD2100XC, Mor/ryde X-Factor, Duravis 250 tires with TST 507RV monitors. 2 x Honda EU2000's
jlb27537 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2014, 03:46 PM   #4
DQDick
Site Team

M.O.C. #11455
The way to see what operates the bedroom slide is to lift the bed and take the plywood floor to the storage area out. Not worth doing unless you're replacing carpet or putting flooring down. Just like the hydraulic side slides you'll see a piston and a guide.
DQDick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2014, 04:27 PM   #5
dieselguy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3085
To further detail today's slides ... prior to around early 2000's the slides simply ran in and out on top of the main flooring. There was a small step up to the slide itself even at full extension. Then along came flush flooring slides. There is a teflon ramp that allows the slide to drop down flush with the main flooring at full extension. this is what you're describing as to "lift then slide". Most slides are hydraulic although the past few years Keystone has returned to cables and or electric motors. I'm not fond of that setup anymore than when I had the cable setup on my 2000 Montana (2850RK). On the larger slides aside from your bedroom slide, there is a balance shaft that runs on a toothed rail beneath your slide actuator arms. The hydraulic cylinder on one end provides the push/pull and the balance shaft keeps both ends sliding the same.
dieselguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2014, 03:44 AM   #6
Eagleback
Montana Master

M.O.C. #15731
Hello. All

Sorry. Been away in Michigan to winterize the house in the cold and blustery Upper Peninsula but now I'm back in the great warmth of Florida. The description on how it all works seems to answer my question and then some and thank you for all the reply's. By the way I'm selling the house in Sault Sainte Marie, Mi. Anybody interested?
2017, 3500 Ram Big Horn, 4x4, Crew Cab, DRW, Aisin Transmission, 4:10. Curt Q20, 2014 Mountaineer 331 RLT, Sailun's on the rv and truck.
Eagleback is offline   Reply With Quote