Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 09-01-2009, 10:18 AM   #1
prariepoodle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #450
Send a message via Yahoo to prariepoodle
Maintenance Free Batteries

Hello everyone, We was told after our fire in 2004 by the repair man that he would not use Maintenance Free batteries and was wondering if any of you have them?? Just why can you not use them since we have them in the GMC Truck. We are going to have to replace ours and would like it if we did not have to check them all the time.. Thank you for all replies.

I forgot to say that we are full timers and are hooked up to shore power all the time. We also have 2 A/C's that run most of the time in the summer along with 3 fans.. I do not know if that is inportant or not. Also we have 2 12 volt batteries and do not ever boondock..

prariepoodle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2009, 11:00 AM   #2
racerjoe
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7770
my guess he was concerned if they overcharge,like some do there is no way of refilling some brands and not to easy to check for water. The charging system in your TV is much better than what we have in our 5th wheels.
racerjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2009, 11:09 AM   #3
Tom S.
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7500
Did he say why? Maybe he is comparing them to the AGM type batteries (like Optima). Batteries are interesting topic of discussion, and everyone has his/her favorite. Mostly, it depends on how you use your trailer. If you are primarily a weekender who does very little primitive camping, a standard deep cycle battery is all you need. Even then you need to decide whether you want maintenance free (which is a misnomer), AGM, or Gel. If you do more primitive camping, you probably need to increase your battery capacity. You can do this by doubling or tripling up on 12 volt batteries, or using 6 volt golf cart batteries (in pairs to make 12 volts). The advantage of the golf cart batteries is they typically provide more amp hours usage than comparable 12 volts. Like everything, a lot depends on how much you want to spend.

A great link on batteries that was posted in another thread by another MOC member is: http://www.batterystuff.com/tutorial_battery.html
Tom S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2009, 11:54 AM   #4
HamRad
Montana Master

M.O.C. #15
Prariepoodle,
I don't know why he would have said that. I've been using two twelve volt batteries in my Monty for going on 4 years. They are the 'maintenance free' type. We mostly use shore power hookups when we travel but do boondock at Quartzsite every year for a week or so. When at home the trailer is hooked to shore power all the time.

And I know that a number of other folks use the AGM and or maintenance free type batteries. I have not heard of anyone having any particular problem with them. They sure make it easier to "check". My previous batteries (not maintenance free) suffered from my failure to check regularly and keep the proper amount of fluid in them.

I like the maintenance free type but when these go out I'll probably replace with the 6 volt deep cycle type and add an auto watering system.

HamRad
HamRad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2009, 12:38 PM   #5
exav8tr
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6333
I fulltime and have ONE 12 Volt Maintenance Free battery and it has lasted about three years, so far. I very seldom boondock so am not too concerned about it. As Hamrad says, when it goes I will replace with 2 6 Volt golf cart batteries. We don't stay in the heat too long nor the cold too long. Long Live Short Pants.........
exav8tr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2009, 12:47 PM   #6
KTManiac
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8818
I think that the only concern is that if your charging system malfunctions and over charges them, they could conceivably explode. However, even the AGM and maintenance-free batteries have vents.

The caps can be removed from maintenance-free batteries, and water added. They, the battery manufacturers, just tell the consumer not to do it because it goes against the image of being "maintenance-free". I have done it, and have seen it done many times with no ill effects for the battery. They are sealed better than conventional batteries and condense most of the water vapor back into water, and thus retains the proper fluid level in the cells, but eventually, water does need to be added to them or else they will die just like a regular battery that has been improperly maintained.

The AGM batteries have an over pressure release valve that will vent if the pressure builds up enough, and if you run them in a non traditional configuration (such as upside down or sideways), it is imperative that the charging system is operating correctly, or spillage can occur through the vent in an over charging event. It just doesn't happen very often.
KTManiac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2009, 01:22 PM   #7
HamRad
Montana Master

M.O.C. #15
KTManiac,
Are the maintenance free batteries any more likely to explode than a regular type battery if the charger malfunctions and severely overcharges?

I have never seen anyone remove a maintenance free battery vent cover and add water. I did not know you could do that. I just figured you'd ruin the "maintenance free" aspect of the battery if you did remove the cover. Learn something every day. But I do not plan to ever remove the cover.

I live in a very hot part of the country. We have very hot summers. Not unusual to have a month of temps between 100 to 110 degrees. If water is going to evaporate this the place I'd expect it.

Travel safely,
HamRad
HamRad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2009, 02:02 PM   #8
Art-n-Marge
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9257
Send a message via MSN to Art-n-Marge Send a message via Yahoo to Art-n-Marge
prairiepoodle - I have heard someone say that too and I remember them saying they have more tendency to blow up (I think I was in an autoparts store buying a replacement for my car). But all batteries have that problem. When my maintenance free shows a Yellow indicator I replace it. I don't even try and recharge it or refill it. I expect when things are not good (charging system not working right, battery is getting ready to fail) that this is certainly when things might go bad.

I had a brother-in-law that showed me how to remove covers from them, but he was way more mechanically and technically minded than me and probably knew more about them than I cared to. Being more cautious I wouldn't even try.

I know there are maintenance-free deep cycle batteries but have not investigated their merits, history or operation. I wonder how successful they are?

I respect many repairmen, but sometimes they can be more cautious than I am. I would have preferred to know his caution so I can weigh it against what I knew.
Art-n-Marge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2009, 07:29 PM   #9
KTManiac
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8818
I guess explode is a bit too much of a descriptor for an over charging situation. Bulge, rupture, and leak would be more accurate.

Batteries can explode, but that has to do with hydrogen gas being generated, venting, and somehow ignited by a spark or open flame. Looks something like this:

You don't want to be anywhere near one when this happens! Battery acid goes everywhere.

KTManiac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2009, 11:08 PM   #10
ols1932
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1944
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by prariepoodle

Hello everyone, We was told after our fire in 2004 by the repair man that he would not use Maintenance Free batteries and was wondering if any of you have them?? Just why can you not use them since we have them in the GMC Truck. We are going to have to replace ours and would like it if we did not have to check them all the time.. Thank you for all replies.

I forgot to say that we are full timers and are hooked up to shore power all the time. We also have 2 A/C's that run most of the time in the summer along with 3 fans.. I do not know if that is inportant or not. Also we have 2 12 volt batteries and do not ever boondock..
We've been using maintenance-free batteries since October 2003. They are the Lifeline D8 AGM batteries. They were expensive ($300+ for each one -- we have two) but well worth the money. As for not using them in RVs, I think that's someone saying something they know little or anything about. The Lifeline battery was designed to operate in Army tanks and are designed such that they'll take a direct shell hit without exploding. Now, that sounds pretty good to me. If you want to learn more about these batteries, click on AGM Batteries.
ols1932 is offline   Reply With Quote