Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 07-04-2009, 04:51 AM   #1
sfretts
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #8573
You Guys made me look Smart Today!!!

Yes, thats correct. I have to admit, I didnt give anyone credit...heres what happened.

We are up in Sequim, WA for the weekend and sitting around the trailer cooling our heels. There is a sob next to us with three ladies and two kids. They started to talk with us and after awhile, the one complained of having no hot water in their trailer. She told me how she would turn on the water and a small amount of hot water would come out and within a few seconds it was cold again.

I remember several threads about water heater problems and started to think of the trouble shooting many went through. After the obvious (to me) questions, I was kind of stumped. I thought on it and while sitting at Starbucks later it hit me. If she can get water out of the hot side, can hear the propane heater and still not hot water, maybe she forgot to switch the bypass back on (if it had one.)

Well I sat there patiently till they came home from their activities and told her about my theory. Soon she came back around with that 'I cant believe I did that' look on her face and thanked me for saving her a service call and all was good.

Another example of how this board helps so many. Thanks for making me look good here in Sunny and hot Western WA!

sfretts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2009, 05:12 AM   #2
Jim Dickey
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #7372
Where are you in Sequim, we are at Diamond Point tight now.
Jim Dickey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2009, 05:30 AM   #3
Jolu
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7919
That's a great story Steve and good to hear. MOC members are the best!
Jolu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2009, 05:47 AM   #4
sfretts
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #8573
Talk about a small world, we are in 99 here at Diamond Point. I saw your trailer the other night while walking. Come on over, coffee is on
Old 07-04-2009, 06:08 AM   #5
stiles watson
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2059
You looked smart because you are smart. Didn't you join the MOC? Didn't you read the pertinent posts from this great "library" of knowledge and experience? Didn't you practically apply what you had learned? That's what I CALL "BEING SMART!"
stiles watson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2009, 07:46 AM   #6
KTManiac
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8818
Now, for the important question.....

.....Since the bypass was on, was there any water in the hot water tank when she fired it up in the first place?!
KTManiac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2009, 09:54 AM   #7
Bill-N-Donna
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7110
Good Job!
There’s always someone that can use an extra hand or some help with something once in a while. I think people are mostly afraid to ask anymore.
Old 07-04-2009, 01:53 PM   #8
Rondo
Site Team

M.O.C. #7560
Jt- You beat me to the question! Hopefully she had some water in the heater and it didn't burn the element out or damage the heater if on LP! Keep us informed on this!
Rondo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2009, 06:23 PM   #9
Art-n-Marge
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9257
Send a message via MSN to Art-n-Marge Send a message via Yahoo to Art-n-Marge
Okay, now I'm not feeling so smart. I don't understand this hot water bypass thing you are talking about. Why would one enable the bypass? Where is it located?

Thanks!
Art-n-Marge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2009, 08:28 PM   #10
jjackflash
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7787
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Art-n-Marge

Okay, now I'm not feeling so smart. I don't understand this hot water bypass thing you are talking about. Why would one enable the bypass? Where is it located?

Thanks!
Art,On the newer models you can flip a lever that will bypass your water heater.
When winterizing you can drain the water heater and still be able to run antifreeze through all plumbing except the water heater.
When de-winterizing your system you have to make sure you flip that lever back in the fill position or if you try to use when the water heater is dry, in the electric mode you'll burn the electric element out.
The lever is located in the convenience compartment with the water hook-ups.
Jack
jjackflash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2009, 08:11 AM   #11
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Another positive from this story is that those folks had a friendly neighbor willing to try to help them. I think that not only speaks to many rv'ers in general but is also a pat on the back to you folks. Good job.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2009, 02:11 PM   #12
sfretts
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #8573
Hi,

Thanks for the kudo's. I too wondered about her status after fixing the valve. Luckilly hers can be either propane or electric or both. SHe only had the propane switched on. She hit the switch, it filled and soon she had hot water. She got real lucky on that one.
Old 07-05-2009, 05:09 PM   #13
Art-n-Marge
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9257
Thanks for explaining the bypass switch. Since my rig doesn't have one I am safe from this problem... now I am smart(er) for it.
Old 07-06-2009, 01:58 PM   #14
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Art, does yours have the connection center inside the basement door? If not, then your bypass switch is located next to the water heater, on one of the lines there. Older ones had two switches there, then someone figured out they only really need one. But maybe you knew all this.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2009, 04:20 PM   #15
Rondo
Site Team

M.O.C. #7560
Mine has the switch over and it is located at the water heater and a real pain to get to! Have to take the metal vent off in the kitchen to reach down and turn the switch. Hopefully, I'm going to do a mod and put a door at the end of the cabinet or along the side of the cabinet and I can just open the door and reach in to turn it! Then I can also reach the winterizing switch over at the pump and the hose to put in the pink stuff jug without becoming a contortionist (Such big words he uses!)
Old 07-06-2009, 06:33 PM   #16
rames14
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1920
Art -

Not sure where your access panel is on a 3500, but you probably have a louvered wood panel where you can access the water pump. There is a valve on the water pump to "pump" winterizing antifreeze through the system along with a length of hose to go in a gallon jug. Up on the back of the water heater is another valve. This one "bypasses" the water heater so you don't have to pump 6-10 gallons of antifreeze into the water heater. I usually get by with two to three gallons when I winterize. Living in California, you may never ever need to know about this. For those of us living near the frozen tundra of Lambeau Field (boy it pains us Bears fans to say that), it is a necessary evil. I know - Glenn will pop in and say there is an easy way to avoid that.
Ron and Terrie Ames - MOC #1920/KF0NTA
2021Montana 3230CK Super Solar Legacy Package
2021 Ram 3500 Laramie Longhorn, BIM Charging
4x4, SRW, LB, Crew Cab, Pullrite 3900 Hitch
rames14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2009, 07:16 PM   #17
Art-n-Marge
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9257
Rames14, so the point is I probably have a bypass, but you are right, in that I have NEVER winterized living in So. Cal. and therefore just haven't found it.

I will have to look for it. I think I see where one might be based on your description. In my rig I might be able to get to it through an access panel in my garage, too.
Old 07-07-2009, 03:02 AM   #18
Rondo
Site Team

M.O.C. #7560
Thanks Ron, you did a whole lot better explanation of where the valves are than I did for Steve! I guess my wording of switch overs just didn't hack the mission! I knew what I was talking about, I'm surprised others didn't! Someday, I hope to not have to use those valves and do as many of my brother and sister MOCrs do and as Glenn tells us all the time!