Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 05-27-2009, 01:08 AM   #1
lfw
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #8881
Leak next to refrigerator.

We have a 2008 3000RK and have developed a leak somewhere between the back of the slide and the refrigerator. Has anyone else had this problem? I took our the access vents to the refrigerator and did not see any water back behind the refrigerator.
Any suggestions would be helpful..
Thanks.
lfw

lfw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2009, 04:16 AM   #2
grampachet
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8045
We have not noticed anything. Where exactly did you notice the water? We will certainly be looking.
grampachet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2009, 06:27 AM   #3
lfw
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #8881
At the bottom right hand corner of the refrigerator cabinet near the back of the slide. I have checked all the refrigerator vents and on the roof.. so far have not found were it is leaking.. I know a leak is hard to find. I pulled out the drawer under the refrigerator and there was water there. Will keep on looking for sure.
lfw
Old 05-27-2009, 07:13 AM   #4
LonnieB
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6150
Send a message via MSN to LonnieB
We have the same problem with our 2006 3000RK. We also have a leak in the left front corner of the bedroom. I think both slides are leaking but I haven't figured out where yet. If I ever find the problem I'll let you know.
LonnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2009, 10:07 AM   #5
bross
Established Member

M.O.C. #7621
It could be the refrigerator vent tube. Make sure it's pulled out through the vent slots in the outside cover of the refrigerator cabinet. Mine wasn't sticking out and it was dripping inside the cabinet, it would make its way to the corner of the slide and looked like a slide leak.
bross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2009, 12:32 PM   #6
LonnieB
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6150
In my case, I know it's not the hose. I was sitting in the floor beefing up the drawer under the fridge that my DW likes to overload with pots and pans, when it stared raining. Before too long I noticed the floor getting wet.
BTW those drawers aren't very sturdy, and the bottom falls out pretty easily when it is carrying about 20 pounds . I believe it should be good for about 100 after I got done with it.
Old 05-27-2009, 12:45 PM   #7
lfw
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #8881
I hope I fixed my leak.. I found one leak .. it was a the vent on the side of the refrigerator on the outside. Not the one on the back of the Monty. It rained pretty had this afternoon.. no water on the floor yet.. stopped raining about an hour ago.. so far so good..
Will have to wait and see how it goes.. going to spray it down good tomorrow with water to make sure that was the leak..
lfw
Old 05-27-2009, 12:53 PM   #8
grampachet
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8045
Sorry it's raining, bright sunny here. Glad you found the leak, I will keep checking mine but will have to wait for rain. :>) Yes, that drawer was too weak so I just glued in the bottom and added another sheet of 1/4" paneling to the bottom. Glued it all into place and it is solid now, I hope.
grampachet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2009, 01:20 PM   #9
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
We also had the vent leak and fixed it. But we also get water (durain a rain) under the kitchen slide near the refrigerator when any part of the two vertical slide seals are turned under. Usually I check this when we set up in a new location. Occasionally I forget until we get water. Then I go out with the awning rod and straighten out the seal. So far that has always stopped the leak. Just something more to keep an eye on.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2009, 05:04 PM   #10
Waynem
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7673
Have you seen this:

Refrigerator Vent Leak
Waynem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2009, 05:25 PM   #11
LonnieB
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6150
Thanks Waynem, I had seen that before but couldn't remember who had posted it. I looked at my vents this afternoon and could see where they would leak under the right circumstances so I will be following your lead and installing the angle [s]iron[/s] aluminum soon.

Good job.
Old 05-27-2009, 05:41 PM   #12
grooving grandpa
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #8250
Thanks for the great pictures and instructions Waynem. Easy fix if you know what to do.
grooving grandpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2009, 02:49 AM   #13
lfw
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #8881
Waynem.. Thanks for the pictures on how to stop the leak. I just sealed my real good.. but I like your way better.. will probably dig it all out and fix it your way.
Thanks again for all your information..
lfw
Old 07-02-2009, 06:28 PM   #14
John Young
Established Member

M.O.C. #5585
If you don't fix it.. you have a mess like we have..

The dealer first thought it was the air conditioner.. then, the hose from the fridge was cracked (it wasn't but once they pulled on it, it was).. after 3 years of weather, our floor is shot, the fiberglass siding is bubbled, cabinets are water stained, and we have mold inside the cabinets under the flooring...

what a mess... we went out for our one and only trip and the unit took on so much water over the humid weekend that the floor just about gave way.. so, it is in for repairs for the summer.. we MIGHT have it back by mid August..
John Young is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2009, 06:54 PM   #15
Art-n-Marge
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9257
Send a message via MSN to Art-n-Marge Send a message via Yahoo to Art-n-Marge
Crap... I just went to look at mine and found NO vent tube coming down. It must have broken and fallen off meaning it will drip down where I don't want it to. This has happened to me in a prior rig. I am not using the rig right now but will be in about a week. Thanks for your post Waynem. That fix is a good idea.

It never ends.
Art-n-Marge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2009, 01:07 PM   #16
Waynem
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7673
The originator of the fix is JimF. I just documented it after doing it.

So thanks Jim.
Old 07-10-2009, 12:49 PM   #17
dnichol
Established Member

M.O.C. #8726
I had at least one leak at the outside corner of each of my 4 slides & beside the fridge was the worst. The dealer installed new tape on top of the slides & and did'nt help any(two different service calls were unsatisfactory on different problems). I then got some dicor caulk & caulked the tape edges & last rain had two small leaks. I just finished doing some more & am hoping for the best.I had this same problem with a larado except it did'nt have tape over the molding just caulk with gaps in a few places, filled in the gaps no more problems. Personly I think I would rather not have had the tape but caulk instead as its easier to see where your problem is.
dnichol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2009, 04:57 PM   #18
markwick
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #2204
I had a what I thought was a leak - water on the floor under the fridge slide. Noticed it when I put the slide out - turns out it was my fault. When washing the outside of your rig make sure you DO NOT point the hose up and into the upper fridge vent!!! - lots of water!!!
markwick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2009, 10:27 AM   #19
Waynem
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7673
The fix I posted is a good preventative measure item. Fixing it now will keep you from having a problem in the future. Even if you have an SOB, check to see how the frame to the refrigerator vents are installed. If you have screws pointing down into the frame you can have a problem. If you have screws that go in from the outside flange of the frame you may be okay, but I'd pull the screws out and silicone them real good, and the screw hole, and put them back in.

What's that old saying, "An ounce of prevention......"
Old 09-02-2009, 05:43 AM   #20
John Young
Established Member

M.O.C. #5585
K.. it is FINALLY all finished!!

After 2.5 months without our travel trailer this summer.. it is finally fixed.

They ended up taking the entire floor out of the main room and doing a big fiberglass repair on the outside below the fridge vent...

$5200 later.. the unit is back.

The outside looks GREAT

They replaced the floor and put the plank/wood floor in.. that looks great also!

But, it is too late to book any camping sites before school... :-(
John Young is offline   Reply With Quote